She's genuinely bogus.

dovenet / Hardware Software Help / Re: Skype video calling

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Skype video callingesc
+* Re: Skype video callingGamgee
|`* Re: Skype video callingpoindexter FORTRAN
| `- Re: Skype video callingGamgee
`- Re: Skype video callingArelor

1
Re: Skype video calling

<63A69876.17597.dove-hlp@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=655&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#655

From: esc@VERT/MONTEREY (esc)
To: Gamgee
Subject: Re: Skype video calling
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 12:18:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: esc - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 12:18 UTC

Ga> No, it is not rolling. Major new releases are usually at least a couple
Ga> of years apart, but it is under continuous development, and "Security
Ga> fixes" are released often for whatever package needs one.

Ah gotcha. Yeah, for personal desktop stuff I prefer rolling but...I treat my OS as its own little hobby. God I'm such a nerd lol.

My servers and anything with open ports live on something less bleeding edge, though.

What's the init system? I could easily google this stuff, tell me to rtfm if you like. Just making conversation.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/11 (Linux/64)
* Origin: m O N T E R E Y b B S . c O M

Re: Skype video calling

<63A7065D.1829.dove-hwswhelp@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=657&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#657

From: gamgee@VERT/PALANT (Gamgee)
To: esc
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 00:39:00 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Gamgee - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 06:39 UTC

-=> esc wrote to Gamgee <=-

Ga> No, it is not rolling. Major new releases are usually at least a couple
Ga> of years apart, but it is under continuous development, and "Security
Ga> fixes" are released often for whatever package needs one.

es> Ah gotcha. Yeah, for personal desktop stuff I prefer rolling
es> but...I treat my OS as its own little hobby. God I'm such a nerd
es> lol.

Hehe, I used to be more involved than I am these days. Compiled my own
kernel and a lot of (probably un-necessary) configuring.

es> My servers and anything with open ports live on something less
es> bleeding edge, though.

Makes sense.

es> What's the init system? I could easily google this stuff, tell me
es> to rtfm if you like. Just making conversation.

It's what (used to be) called BSD-style. The Distrowatch page says it's
SysV, but it's not, really. It *can* be, but isn't normally. It's all
done in /etc/rc.d, by simply enabling (making executable) the various
scripts in there, or not enabling them. Very simple, really.

.... Gone crazy, be back later, please leave message.
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
� Synchronet � Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: Skype video calling

<63AB175E.4889.dove.hardware@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=659&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#659

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Gamgee
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2022 03:14:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Mon, 26 Dec 2022 11:14 UTC

-=> Gamgee wrote to esc <=-

Ga> It's what (used to be) called BSD-style. The Distrowatch page says
Ga> it's SysV, but it's not, really. It *can* be, but isn't normally.
Ga> It's all done in /etc/rc.d, by simply enabling (making executable) the
Ga> various scripts in there, or not enabling them. Very simple, really.

I remember well. More and more things are nudging me in the direction of
the BSDs. :)

.... Discover your formulas and abandon them
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: Skype video calling

<63AB5459.1833.dove-hwswhelp@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=660&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#660

From: gamgee@VERT/PALANT (Gamgee)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 07:01:00 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Gamgee - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 13:01 UTC

-=> poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Gamgee <=-

-=> Gamgee wrote to esc <=-

Ga> It's what (used to be) called BSD-style. The Distrowatch page says
Ga> it's SysV, but it's not, really. It *can* be, but isn't normally.
Ga> It's all done in /etc/rc.d, by simply enabling (making executable) the
Ga> various scripts in there, or not enabling them. Very simple, really.

pF> I remember well. More and more things are nudging me in the
pF> direction of the BSDs. :)

That's something (trying a BSD) that I've meant to do for YEARS, but
just have never gotten around to it. Maybe in 2023. ;-)

.... Windows 3.1 - From the people who brought you EDLIN.
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
� Synchronet � Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: Skype video calling

<63ACA39E.1835.dove-hwswhelp@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=662&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#662

From: arelor@VERT/PALANT (Arelor)
To: esc
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 07:14:22 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Arelor - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 13:14 UTC

Re: Re: Skype video calling
By: esc to Gamgee on Fri Dec 23 2022 07:18 pm

> What's the init system? I could easily google this stuff, tell me to rtfm if

Slackware uses a sysinit hacked together to emulate bsdinit. It feels a lot
like running bsdinit, to the point a lot of people says it uses a bsd based
init.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL