From: esc@VERT/MONTEREY (esc)
To: Gamgee
Subject: Re: Skype video calling
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 03:08:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: esc - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 03:08 UTC

Ga> I've played with a LOT of other distros over the years, and still do,
Ga> but my main stuff all runs on Slackware. Can't really imagine using
Ga> anything else, honestly.

Neat. Thanks for the writeup. I think I'll have to spin upa VM an play around with it...that's usually what I do when I want to experiment with a distro. Is it rolling release like arch?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/11 (Linux/64)
* Origin: m O N T E R E Y b B S . c O M

Re: Skype video calling

<63A6382E.1826.dove-hwswhelp@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=654&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#654

From: gamgee@VERT/PALANT (Gamgee)
To: esc
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 10:09:00 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Gamgee - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 16:09 UTC

-=> esc wrote to Gamgee <=-

Ga> I've played with a LOT of other distros over the years, and still do,
Ga> but my main stuff all runs on Slackware. Can't really imagine using
Ga> anything else, honestly.

es> Neat. Thanks for the writeup. I think I'll have to spin upa VM
es> an play around with it...that's usually what I do when I want to
es> experiment with a distro. Is it rolling release like arch?

No, it is not rolling. Major new releases are usually at least a couple
of years apart, but it is under continuous development, and "Security
fixes" are released often for whatever package needs one.

There is another "branch" of Slackware called "Current" which gets the
ongoing development new packages. There is also a "Debian apt-ish"
package available called SlackPackage, which allows you to keep up with
the Current branch with mostly-automated updates. Same idea as Debian
"unstable". I haven't seriously kept up with Current, as it does tend
to have some breakage, and is more work than I'm interested in doing.

.... Internal Error: The system has been taken over by sheep at line 19960
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
� Synchronet � Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL