From: nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS (nelgin)
To: All
Subject: ChatGPT v Bard
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 05:42:03 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Programming
 by: nelgin - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 11:42 UTC

I decide to try and get ChatGPT and Bard to create some PERL code for me and it seems both have two distinct ways of working.

ChatGPT will actually give you some code that almost works and each time you try and refine it, it breaks the code more and more until you're further away from you goal.

Bard will tell you the steps you need to create the code until you force it to write the code for you, which doesn't work, and then it'll tell you the steps you need to go through to debug your code until you force it to show you the updated code, which also breaks.

I don't think AI is ready to write code that is going to take over the world...not just yet anyway.

---
■ Synchronet ■ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com

ChatGPT v Bard

<65AE6272.967.dove-prg@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=647&group=DOVE-Net.Programming#647

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: nelgin
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 06:41:22 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Programming
 by: MRO - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 12:41 UTC

Re: ChatGPT v Bard
By: nelgin to All on Mon Jan 22 2024 05:42 am

> I decide to try and get ChatGPT and Bard to create some PERL code for me and
> it seems both have two distinct ways of working.
>
> ChatGPT will actually give you some code that almost works and each time you
> try and refine it, it breaks the code more and more until you're further
> away from you goal.
>
> Bard will tell you the steps you need to create the code until you force it
> to write the code for you, which doesn't work, and then it'll tell you the
> steps you need to go through to debug your code until you force it to show
> you the updated code, which also breaks.
>
> I don't think AI is ready to write code that is going to take over the
> world...not just yet anyway.

boy, totally surprising.
another great post from nelgin.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

ChatGPT v Bard

<65B56C63.401.dove-program@bbs.b-wells.us>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=653&group=DOVE-Net.Programming#653

From: sideburn@VERT/ROTWLAIR (Sideburn)
To: nelgin
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 20:49:39 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Programming
 by: Sideburn - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 02:49 UTC

Re: ChatGPT v Bard
By: nelgin to All on Mon Jan 22 2024 05:42 am

LOL so true. I use ChatGPT to do grunt work only. I has rabbit holed me into code hell 100 too many times.

---
■ Synchronet ■ Realm of the Wizard's Lair - bbs.b-wells.us

ChatGPT v Bard

<660387A2.1807.dove-program@warensemble.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1107&group=DOVE-Net.Programming#1107

From: skylar@VERT/ENSEMBLE (Skylar)
To: All
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 21:42:42 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Programming
 by: Skylar - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 02:42 UTC

Re: ChatGPT v Bard
By: nelgin to All on Mon Jan 22 2024 05:42 am

I asked Copilot to write TradeWars in Pascal, and got this:

Creating a game like TradeWars in Pascal would be quite an extensive project, as it involves setting up a complex environment with various gameplay mechanics. However, I can certainly help you get started with a basic structure. Here's a simple outline to illustrate how you might begin coding such a game:

```pascal
program TradeWars;

uses crt;

type
Planet = record
name: string;
economy: integer;
defense: integer;
resources: integer;
end;

var
playerLocation: Planet;
planets: array[1..10] of Planet;

procedure InitializePlanets;
var
i: integer;
begin
// Initialize planets with names and random attributes
for i := 1 to 10 do
begin
with planets[i] do
begin
name := 'Planet' + IntToStr(i);
economy := Random(100) + 1;
defense := Random(100) + 1;
resources := Random(100) + 1;
end;
end;
end;

procedure DisplayStatus;
begin
// Display player's current status and location
with playerLocation do
begin
writeln('Current Location: ', name);
writeln('Economy Level: ', economy);
writeln('Defense Level: ', defense);
writeln('Resource Level: ', resources);
end;
end;

procedure Trade;
begin
// Implement trading mechanics
writeln('Trading not implemented yet.');
end;

procedure Travel;
var
destination: integer;
begin
// Implement travel mechanics
writeln('Where would you like to travel?');
readln(destination);
if (destination >= 1) and (destination <= 10) then
playerLocation := planets[destination]
else
writeln('Invalid destination.');
end;

begin
// Main game loop
Randomize;
InitializePlanets;
playerLocation := planets[1]; // Start at Planet 1

while true do
begin
clrscr;
DisplayStatus;
writeln('What would you like to do?');
writeln('1. Trade');
writeln('2. Travel');
writeln('3. Quit');
case readkey of
'1': Trade;
'2': Travel;
'3': break;
end;
end;
end.

This code provides a starting point for a TradeWars-like game in Pascal. It sets up a universe of planets with random attributes and allows the player to travel between them. The trading mechanics would need to be implemented, along with many other features to create a full game experience. Remember, this is just a basic framework and a lot more work would be needed to develop a complete game. If you're interested in the original source code of TradeWars, it seems there's a Pascal version available.

---
■ Synchronet ■ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com