From: arrl.de.wd1cks@VERT/WLARB (ARRL de WD1CKS)
To: QST
Subject: ARRL Represented at International Amateur Radio Exhibition in Germany
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 09:18:48 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: ARRL de WD1CKS - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 09:18 UTC

07/01/2022

2022 Ham Radio, the International Amateur Radio Exhibition, held last weekend
(June 24 - 26) in Friedrichshafen, Germany, drew enthusiastic crowds and
amateur radio enthusiasts from 52 countries.

Messe Friedrichshafen Managing Director Klaus Wellmann and Project Manager
Petra Rathgeber said the event attracted 10,200 participants. While attendance
was down (14,300 in 2019) because of COVID, visitors and exhibitors were upbeat
-- a sentiment reflected in the event's slogan this year: "Seeing Friends
Again."

"Together with our outstanding partner, the German Amateur Radio Club (DARC),
we have put on a top-notch trade fair with a wide-ranging supporting program,"
said Wellmann and Rathgeber in a joint statement.

There were 129 commercial exhibitors and associations with 265 flea market
exhibitors from 27 countries. DARC Press Spokesperson Stephanie Heine, DO7PR,
and DARC Chair Christian Entsfellner, DL3MBG, emphasized the event created a
unique space for meeting others in person, and fulfilled its role as a driver
of the future of amateur radio. "Together we laid the foundation for the
regional emergency radio groups at the fair, and we will launch a nationwide
concept for emergency communications in the near future," said Heine.

ARRL was among the participating International Amateur Radio Union[1] (IARU)
member-societies exhibiting at the convention. Representing ARRL in Germany was
President Rick Roderick, K5UR and his wife Holly Roderick; CEO David Minster,
NA2AA; Director of Operations Bob Naumann, W5OV, and Director of Public
Relations and Innovation Bob Inderbitzen, NQ1R.

Naumann led a team of ARRL volunteers who supported DXCC card checking at its
stand -- a service that's very popular within the international ham radio
community.

"It was fantastic to visit with so many members and friends in Germany," said
Inderbitzen. He noted that ARRL has thousands of International Members. "QST
magazine is among the most recognized amateur radio journal in the world -- and
draws many hams to ARRL for membership," he said. "Other popular membership
benefits include ARRL Equipment Testing and QST Product Review; our entire
suite of digital magazines, including QEX, NCJ, and On the Air; and
member-pricing for popular ARRL Awards." He also noted ARRL's role in
protecting and promoting amateur radio worldwide, and as Secretariat for the
International Amateur Radio Union (IARU).

A short video tour from the convention is posted to ARRL's YouTube channel[2].

The next Ham Radio event will be held in Friedrichshafen, Germany, from June 23
to 25, 2023.

More information is available at Ham Radio[3].

[1] https://www.iaru.org/
[2] https://youtu.be/QbKAPf9o3HY
[3] https://www.hamradio-friedrichshafen.com/

---
■ Synchronet ■ Whiskey Lover's Amateur Radio BBS