I sometimes think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability. -- Oscar Wilde

dovenet / Hardware Software Help / SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI sounds

SubjectAuthor
* SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI soundsCodefenix
+- SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI soundsMRO
`* SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI soundsDigital Man
 `* SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI soundsCodefenix
  `* SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI soundsDigital Man
   +* SyncTERM crashs when playDumas Walker
   |`* SyncTERM crashs when playCodefenix
   | `* SyncTERM crashs when playDumas Walker
   |  `- SyncTERM crashs when playCodefenix
   `* SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI soundsCodefenix
    `* SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI soundsDigital Man
     `* SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI soundsDigital Man
      `- SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI soundsCodefenix

1
SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI sounds

<62BDD0B4.944.dove-net2005@conchaos.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=606&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#606

From: codefenix@VERT/CONCHAOS (Codefenix)
To: All
Subject: SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI sounds
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 05:35:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Codefenix - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 09:35 UTC

Wasn't sure the proper sub for this post, so we'll start here.

Using SyncTERM 1.1 on Windows 10 64-bit.

The door game Yankee Trader plays sounds at various points. They normally show up like the following strings in terminals without sound support:

BT128O5L48P64CP64C<ascii code 14; music notes>
BO4L32P32CP64CP64CP64L16EP64L32CP64L12E<ascii code 14; music notes>

The way to hear sounds in place of these strings in SycTERM is to set the ANSI music option to "All ANSI Music enabled". The other two options do nothing.

The sounds do play when SyncTERM receives these strings in the game, however SyncTERM then immediately crashes and writes the following to the Application log in Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: syncterm.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1741, time stamp: 0x221456c9
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0005f583
Faulting process id: 0x2264
Faulting application start time: 0x01d88b25b366eaae
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\SyncTERM\syncterm.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 5685894c-3191-4bc7-a512-371ff1924027
Faulting package full name: <blank>
Faulting package-relative application ID: <blank>

A similar thing happens in Linux Mint, but instead SyncTERM completely locks up and refuses further input rather than crashing.

Interestingly, I tried the same thing from Windows Vista 32-bit, and the ANSI music plays there with no problems whatsoever. So I wonder if it's a problem running SyncTERM on specific platforms.

I spent a lot of time googling for "faulting module path ntdll.dll". Found a lot of topics relating to it, none of which having anything in common with each other, and none having anything to do with SyncTERM.

Any ideas?

Also, can someone else who's running Yankee Trader please try to recreate the issue (or feel free to telnet to conchaos.synchro.net if you don't have the game yourself)? It would be helpful to know if it's just me, or if it's an actual bug in SyncTERM.

|01<|09co|03d|11e|15ƒ|11e|03n|09ix|01>|07

---
■ Synchronet ■ -=[ conchaos.synchro.net | ConstructiveChaos BBS ]=-

SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI sounds

<62BDE631.1078.dove-hlp@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=607&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#607

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Codefenix
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 06:06:41 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: MRO - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 11:06 UTC

Re: SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI sounds
By: Codefenix to All on Thu Jun 30 2022 12:35 pm

> Wasn't sure the proper sub for this post, so we'll start here.
>
> Using SyncTERM 1.1 on Windows 10 64-bit.
>
> The door game Yankee Trader plays sounds at various points. They normally
> show up like the following strings in terminals without sound support:
>
> BT128O5L48P64CP64C<ascii code 14; music notes>
> BO4L32P32CP64CP64CP64L16EP64L32CP64L12E<ascii code 14; music notes>
>
> The way to hear sounds in place of these strings in SycTERM is to set the

did you email deuce about it?
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI sounds

<62BE1502.17546.dove-hlp@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=608&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#608

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Codefenix
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 07:26:26 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Digital Man - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 14:26 UTC

Try SyncTERM v1.2b and see if the problem is still there. If so, file a bug report at https://sourceforge.net/p/syncterm/tickets/
--
digital man (rob)

Synchronet "Real Fact" #63:
"Baja" (name of Synchronet PCMS compiler/languege) is pronounced "ba-ha"
Norco, CA WX: 89.4°F, 39.0% humidity, 12 mph S wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI sounds

<62BEFD97.948.dove-net2005@conchaos.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=610&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#610

From: codefenix@VERT/CONCHAOS (Codefenix)
To: Digital Man
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 02:58:47 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Codefenix - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 06:58 UTC

Re: SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI sounds
By: Digital Man to Codefenix on Thu Jun 30 2022 02:26 pm

DM> Try SyncTERM v1.2b and see if the problem is still there. If so, file a
DM> bug report at https://sourceforge.net/p/syncterm/tickets/ --

Yeah, same thing happens in 1.2b unfortunately.

I see there's a closed ticket for a similar issue with ANSI sound from a couple years ago. I did add a comment to it, but maybe I should just create a new ticket in case the issue is different.

|01<|09co|03d|11e|15ƒ|11e|03n|09ix|01>|07

---
■ Synchronet ■ -=[ conchaos.synchro.net | ConstructiveChaos BBS ]=-

SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI sounds

<62BF5A5A.17549.dove-hlp@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=611&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#611

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Codefenix
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 06:34:34 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Digital Man - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 13:34 UTC

Re: SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI sounds
By: Codefenix to Digital Man on Fri Jul 01 2022 09:58 am

> Re: SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI sounds
> By: Digital Man to Codefenix on Thu Jun 30 2022 02:26 pm
>
> DM> Try SyncTERM v1.2b and see if the problem is still there. If so, file a
> DM> bug report at https://sourceforge.net/p/syncterm/tickets/ --
>
> Yeah, same thing happens in 1.2b unfortunately.
>
> I see there's a closed ticket for a similar issue with ANSI sound from a
> couple years ago. I did add a comment to it, but maybe I should just create
> a new ticket in case the issue is different.

I just played Yankee Trader a bit here using SyncTERM v1.2b on Windows 10-64 and didn't have any crashes. It likely is a bug in SyncTERM and the fact that it (or something similar) can be reproduced on *nix is important since SyncTERM primary author (deuce) primarily runs *nix.

Which sequences of ANSI sound/music cause the issue would be a very helpful piece of information to have. Perhaps it's only certain sounds/sequences that trigger the issue?
--
digital man (rob)

Synchronet "Real Fact" #28:
Rob Swindell's first computer was a Commodore VIC-20 (circa 1981)
Norco, CA WX: 86.8°F, 39.0% humidity, 11 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

SyncTERM crashs when play

<62C05B46.5279.dove-hlp@capitolcityonline.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=612&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#612

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: DIGITAL MAN
Subject: SyncTERM crashs when play
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2022 03:49:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Dumas Walker - Sat, 2 Jul 2022 07:49 UTC

> I just played Yankee Trader a bit here using SyncTERM v1.2b on Windows 10-64 a
> didn't have any crashes. It likely is a bug in SyncTERM and the fact that it
> r something similar) can be reproduced on *nix is important since SyncTERM pri
> ry author (deuce) primarily runs *nix.

> Which sequences of ANSI sound/music cause the issue would be a very helpful pi
> e of information to have. Perhaps it's only certain sounds/sequences that trig
> r the issue?

FYI, I am running ST 1.1rc4 here, play YT often and never have had this
issue. Also running on linux.

That said, I don't know if the music plays or not because I have no
speakers on this machine, but it is not crashing.

* SLMR 2.1a * I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done.

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI sounds

<62C3179C.951.dove-net2005@conchaos.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=613&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#613

From: codefenix@VERT/CONCHAOS (Codefenix)
To: Digital Man
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 05:38:52 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Codefenix - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 09:38 UTC

Re: SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI sounds
By: Digital Man to Codefenix on Fri Jul 01 2022 01:34 pm

DM> I just played Yankee Trader a bit here using SyncTERM v1.2b on Windows
DM> 10-64 and didn't have any crashes.

Did it play sound though? I'm betting you have your ANSI music option set to something other than "All ANSI Music enabled", and that's why it didn't crash for you.

DM> Which sequences of ANSI sound/music cause the issue would be a very
DM> helpful piece of information to have.

I mentioned this in the initial post, however maybe I wasn't very clear on that and how to recreate the issue.

While playing YT, enter the ship's comptuer by pressing C.

SyncTERM (and most other terminals) by default will spew the following:

BT128O5L48P64CP64C<ascii code 14; music notes symbol>

If you set SyncTERM's ANSI music setting to "All ANSI Music enabled", you should hear two quick high-pitched peeps in place of that sequence.

For me, on my Windows 10 64-bit machine, SyncTERM immediately crashes after playing that sound. It does _not_ crash on my Windows Vista 32 bit machine though.

This sound is played while winning the lottery in Port #1:

BO4L32P32CP64CP64CP64L16EP64L32CP64L12E<ascii code 14; music notes symbol>

This crashes SyncTERM as well for me on the Windows 10 64 bit machine.

Again, you must have "All ANSI Music enabled" in order to hear the sounds in Yankee Trader, otherwise SyncTERM will spew those strings instead.

I did end up opening a new ticket on Sourceforge with these details plus the crash message.

|01<|09co|03d|11e|15ƒ|11e|03n|09ix|01>|07

---
■ Synchronet ■ -=[ conchaos.synchro.net | ConstructiveChaos BBS ]=-

SyncTERM crashs when play

<62C317D4.952.dove-net2005@conchaos.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=614&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#614

From: codefenix@VERT/CONCHAOS (Codefenix)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 05:39:48 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Codefenix - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 09:39 UTC

Re: SyncTERM crashs when play
By: Dumas Walker to DIGITAL MAN on Sat Jul 02 2022 10:49 am

DW> FYI, I am running ST 1.1rc4 here, play YT often and never have had this
DW> issue. Also running on linux.

What do you have ANSI Music Control set to?

|01<|09co|03d|11e|15ƒ|11e|03n|09ix|01>|07

---
■ Synchronet ■ -=[ conchaos.synchro.net | ConstructiveChaos BBS ]=-

SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI sounds

<62C37441.17553.dove-hlp@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=615&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#615

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Codefenix
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 09:14:09 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Digital Man - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 16:14 UTC

Re: SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI sounds
By: Codefenix to Digital Man on Mon Jul 04 2022 12:38 pm

> Re: SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI sounds
> By: Digital Man to Codefenix on Fri Jul 01 2022 01:34 pm
>
> DM> I just played Yankee Trader a bit here using SyncTERM v1.2b on Windows
> DM> 10-64 and didn't have any crashes.
>
> Did it play sound though?

Yes.

> I'm betting you have your ANSI music option set to
> something other than "All ANSI Music enabled", and that's why it didn't
> crash for you.

No, I set it to "All ANSI Music enabled", just as you described in your original post.

> DM> Which sequences of ANSI sound/music cause the issue would be a very
> DM> helpful piece of information to have.
>
> I mentioned this in the initial post, however maybe I wasn't very clear on
> that and how to recreate the issue.
>
> While playing YT, enter the ship's comptuer by pressing C.

Alright, I'll give that a try.
--
digital man (rob)

Synchronet "Real Fact" #49:
Synchronet program was named 'sbbs' instead of 'sync' to avoid conflict w/Unix
Norco, CA WX: 78.5°F, 48.0% humidity, 11 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI sounds

<62C37547.17554.dove-hlp@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=616&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#616

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Codefenix
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 09:18:31 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Digital Man - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 16:18 UTC

Re: SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI sounds
By: Digital Man to Codefenix on Mon Jul 04 2022 04:14 pm

> Re: SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI sounds
> By: Codefenix to Digital Man on Mon Jul 04 2022 12:38 pm
>
> > Re: SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI sounds
> > By: Digital Man to Codefenix on Fri Jul 01 2022 01:34 pm
> >
> > DM> I just played Yankee Trader a bit here using SyncTERM v1.2b on
> > DM> Windows 10-64 and didn't have any crashes.
>
> > Did it play sound though?
>
> Yes.
>
> > I'm betting you have your ANSI music option set to
> > something other than "All ANSI Music enabled", and that's why it didn't
> > crash for you.
>
> No, I set it to "All ANSI Music enabled", just as you described in your
> original post.
>
> > DM> Which sequences of ANSI sound/music cause the issue would be a very
> > DM> helpful piece of information to have.
>
> > I mentioned this in the initial post, however maybe I wasn't very clear
> > on that and how to recreate the issue.
>
> > While playing YT, enter the ship's comptuer by pressing C.
>
> Alright, I'll give that a try.

Worked for me (played the 2 beeps, did not crash) using SyncTERM v1.2b on Win10-64:

Time: 179:22 Main Command (?=Help)? c

<Computer activated>

Time: 179:11 Computer command (?=help)? ?

Computer commands:

1) Exit Computer 2) Port Report
3) Autopilot 4) Rank Teams & Players
5) Send Radio Message 6) Radio Message Log
7) Set autopilot Sectors to Avoid 8) Galactic Newspaper
9) Planet Report 10) Path Finder
11) Fighter Finder (Yours) 12) Port(s) Treasury Report
13) Planet Finder (Yours) 14) Find Nearest Ports
15) Show Active Spies 16) Find Port Pairs
17) Check Profits of Adjacent Ports

Time: 179:07 Computer command (?=help)?

The exact sequence that can be used to trigger the crash would be helpful.
--
digital man (rob)

Sling Blade quote #4:
Doyle: wimpy-ass kids or mental retards.. she got one of each livin' with her.
Norco, CA WX: 78.5°F, 48.0% humidity, 11 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI sounds

<62C42AA2.959.dove-net2005@conchaos.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=621&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#621

From: codefenix@VERT/CONCHAOS (Codefenix)
To: Digital Man
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 01:12:18 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Codefenix - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 05:12 UTC

Re: SyncTERM crashs when playing ANSI sounds
By: Digital Man to Codefenix on Mon Jul 04 2022 04:18 pm

>> No, I set it to "All ANSI Music enabled", just as you described in
>> your original post.

DM> Worked for me (played the 2 beeps, did not crash) using SyncTERM v1.2b on
DM> Win10-64:

OK, thank you for trying. The issue must just be with my particular Windows 10 PC then, maybe I have a conflict with that ntdll.dl file or something. Maybe it's time to do a clean install.

DM> The exact sequence that can be used to trigger the crash would be helpful.

That really was it. Simply entering the ship's computer and playing the noise while in that ANSI music mode is enough to make SyncTERM crash (for me at least).

Thanks again for taking the time to try it on your PC. Sounds like I have stuff to figure out on my end.

|01<|09co|03d|11e|15ƒ|11e|03n|09ix|01>|07

---
■ Synchronet ■ -=[ conchaos.synchro.net | ConstructiveChaos BBS ]=-

SyncTERM crashs when play

<62C493F3.5289.dove-hlp@capitolcityonline.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=622&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#622

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: CODEFENIX
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 08:29:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Dumas Walker - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 12:29 UTC

> DW> FYI, I am running ST 1.1rc4 here, play YT often and never have had this
> DW> issue. Also running on linux.

> What do you have ANSI Music Control set to?

BANSI Style

* SLMR 2.1a * Can you repeat the part after 'Listen very carefully'?

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

SyncTERM crashs when play

<62C4DCBC.961.dove-net2005@conchaos.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=623&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#623

From: codefenix@VERT/CONCHAOS (Codefenix)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 13:52:12 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Codefenix - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 17:52 UTC

Re: SyncTERM crashs when play
By: Dumas Walker to CODEFENIX on Tue Jul 05 2022 03:29 pm

DW> BANSI Style

"All ANSI Music enabled" is what Yankee Trader needs in order to play the sounds. Otherwise SyncTERM spews incoherent strings where the ANSI sounds are played.

I have a feeling it will work for you and the problem is on strictly with me though. Still interested in knowing if it works for you.