From: unixl0rd@VERT/BEERS20 (unixl0rd)
To: CDP
Subject: Re: COBOL?
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 19:45:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Programming
 by: unixl0rd - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 19:45 UTC

CD> Speaking from experience, where I work (as is the case everywhere) the
CD> cobol programmers are aging out and retiring. The new ones we hire are
CD> still in the same general age range and I'm sure they are demanding a
CD> lot of money since the pool is getting smaller and the codebase is still
CD> significant.

I've got about fifteen years of experience as a web developer and to be honest I am kinda bored. Learning COBOL might give me the stimulation I need right now even if it doesn't land me a job.

.... I BM. You BM. We all BM for IBM!

Re: COBOL?

<64795C81.923.dove-prg@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=61&group=DOVE-Net.Programming#61

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: unixl0rd
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 22:05:37 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Programming
 by: MRO - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 03:05 UTC

Re: Re: COBOL?
By: unixl0rd to CDP on Thu Jun 01 2023 07:45 pm

> CD> Speaking from experience, where I work (as is the case everywhere) the
> CD> cobol programmers are aging out and retiring. The new ones we hire are
> CD> still in the same general age range and I'm sure they are demanding a
> CD> lot of money since the pool is getting smaller and the codebase is
> CD> still significant.
>
> I've got about fifteen years of experience as a web developer and to be
> honest I am kinda bored. Learning COBOL might give me the stimulation I need
> right now even if it doesn't land me a job.

must be nice to have the time to do that.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: COBOL?

<6479D16F.194.dove-program@thegateb.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=62&group=DOVE-Net.Programming#62

From: dr..what@VERT/THEGATEB (Dr. What)
To: unixl0rd
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 07:21:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Programming
 by: Dr. What - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 11:21 UTC

-=> unixl0rd wrote to CDP <=-

un> I've got about fifteen years of experience as a web developer and to be
un> honest I am kinda bored. Learning COBOL might give me the stimulation I
un> need right now even if it doesn't land me a job.

In general, learning other languages, especially on different platforms,
teaches you a great deal and make you think a little differently in the
programming languages that you use.

Back when I was in college, they taught Pascal as the starting language. Not
because it was a great language that you would use in the Real World, but
because you would often take the ideas that you learned in Pascal and apply
them to other languages like FORTRAN or COBOL (ex: minimize GOTO statements).

For me, learning about Python's async code helped me a great deal in
understanding the same ideas in C# that I use for work.

It also helps to get a difference perspective from other systems with other
constraints. At work, we had a problem where a newby programmer basically sent
16GB through a system that assumed that data would be 16MB and basically gummed
everything up. The root problem was that this newby programmer had never
encountered a system that didn't have more than enough resources to do whatever
he want. For those of us who grew up with computers with 16K, we always think
about asking if we have enough resources.

.... You would if you could but you can't so you won't.
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
� Synchronet � ** The Gate BBS - Shelby, NC - thegateb.synchro.net **

Re: COBOL?

<647A0E55.3449.dove_dove-prg@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=63&group=DOVE-Net.Programming#63

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: unixl0rd
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 08:44:21 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Programming
 by: Nightfox - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 15:44 UTC

Re: Re: COBOL?
By: unixl0rd to CDP on Thu Jun 01 2023 07:45 pm

un> I've got about fifteen years of experience as a web developer and to be
un> honest I am kinda bored. Learning COBOL might give me the stimulation I
un> need right now even if it doesn't land me a job.

There's a lot of demand for other programming languages too. Lately, several of the projects I've worked on have used C# (Windows desktop software), and there's a lot of demand for mobile development too (Kotlin or Java on Android, and Swift or Objective-C on iOS). C++ and C are used for some projects, and so on.. Depends on what you'd be working on.

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Re: COBOL?

<647A7B59.3051.dove-program@dmine.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=64&group=DOVE-Net.Programming#64

From: cdp@VERT/DMINE (CDP)
To: unixl0rd
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 19:29:29 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Programming
 by: CDP - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 23:29 UTC

Re: Re: COBOL?
By: unixl0rd to CDP on Thu Jun 01 2023 07:45 pm

> I've got about fifteen years of experience as a web developer and to be hone
>
> ... I BM. You BM. We all BM for IBM!

Coincidentally I have a book sitting on my desk in front of me that I had
tucked away for years and never used. Sams Teach Yourself Cobol in 21 Days.
I've actually been going through that in my spare time just to do something
with the book before I pass it on. I work mostly as an admin in infrastructure
so the bulk of my 'coding' is really scripting and ansible playbooks.

We have young developers who might be able to use it though. It's fun watching
Java devs wrapping their heads around Cobol, but they seem to do ok. It's
unique compared to some of todays languages but not terrible to learn at all.
-----------------------
CDP
- The Diamond Mine BBS
-----------------------
---
■ Synchronet ■ Diamond Mine Online BBS - bbs.dmine.net:24 - Fredericksburg, VA USA

Re: COBOL?

<647B54A4.927.dove-prg@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=65&group=DOVE-Net.Programming#65

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: CDP
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 09:56:36 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Programming
 by: MRO - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 14:56 UTC

Re: Re: COBOL?
By: CDP to unixl0rd on Fri Jun 02 2023 07:29 pm

> Re: Re: COBOL?
> By: unixl0rd to CDP on Thu Jun 01 2023 07:45 pm
>
> > I've got about fifteen years of experience as a web developer and to be
> > hone
>
> > ... I BM. You BM. We all BM for IBM!
>
> Coincidentally I have a book sitting on my desk in front of me that I had
> tucked away for years and never used. Sams Teach Yourself Cobol in 21 Days.
> I've actually been going through that in my spare time just to do something
> with the book before I pass it on. I work mostly as an admin in

get back to us in 21 days.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::