From: tracker1@VERT/TRN (Tracker1)
To: paulie420
Subject: Re: Which VPN?
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 14:20:32 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Tracker1 - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 14:20 UTC

Re: Re: Which VPN?
By: paulie420 to Phigan on Thu Jul 06 2023 18:31:00

pa> Xfinity (attempts to) snoops so badly that they send a letter with the
pa> title of what you downloaded! Something to the effect of (from memory):

That's not Xfinity, it's because that's what the DMCA notice they recieved says you are/were downloading. The ISP receives a DMCA notice from the agency representing the copyright holder. What happens from there will vary slightly, but in the US at least they are required by law to notify you, and if you don't stop seeding/feeding/uploading, or send an otherwise legal atestation that it isn't a fact, they are required to cut you aff.

--
Michael J. Ryan
+o roughneckbbs.com

---
■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com

Re: Which VPN?

<64A76BCA.17857.dove-hlp@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=905&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#905

From: paulie420@VERT/BEERS20 (paulie420)
To: Phigan
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 18:31:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: paulie420 - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 18:31 UTC

Ph> > I get a letter on xfinity anytime I torrent w/o a VPN. Standard issue.
Ph>
Ph> What's the gist of it? Is it just from them or do they say they were
Ph> notified by so and so? Can you test torrenting an Ubuntu ISO or
Ph> something? :)

Xfinity (attempts to) snoops so badly that they send a letter with the title of what you downloaded! Something to the effect of (from memory):

-----
Xfinity customer:

We've noticed that you downloaded copyrighted songs, music or data:

Top Gun - Maverick

This goes against our terms of service. This is a strike; after a second strike we will throttle or limit any data we suspect of being copyrighted. A third strike may warrant your service being terminated.

If you have any questions, please phone us at 1-800-XFINITY so we can laugh as you wait for two hours before we disconnect.

Love,
Xfinity Cable

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
|08.........

Re: Which VPN?

<64A9B030.367.dove-hwswhelp@tacopronto.bbs.io>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=915&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#915

From: phigan@VERT/TACOPRON (Phigan)
To: paulie420
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 11:51:28 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Phigan - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 18:51 UTC

Re: Re: Which VPN?
By: paulie420 to Phigan on Thu Jul 06 2023 06:31 pm

> Xfinity (attempts to) snoops so badly that they send a letter with the title
> of what you downloaded! Something to the effect of (from memory):

Woooow, that really sucks. I'm pretty glad there is usenet :).

---
■ Synchronet ■ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io