From: xerxes@VERT/KN6Q (Xerxes)
To: Fakeshemp
Subject: Synchronet BBS on AX.25,
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 03:51:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Xerxes - Tue, 31 May 2022 03:51 UTC

Re: Synchronet BBS on AX.25,
By: Fakeshemp to ALL on Mon May 30 2022 03:24 pm

Fa> Synchronet BBS connected up for Telnet and HF radio (VHF in the future.) I
Fa> have the Kantronics KAMPlus up and I can communicate with it, and I can TX
Fa> with it (no independent confirmation, though.) My understanding is that
Fa> this TNC can be put into host-mode and then can have Telnet run over
Fa> packet. I also have an MFJ-1270C (just need to build the interface cable)
Fa> and a PK-232. Anyone else working on such a project or have any insight?

I wish you luck, particularly at HF speeds - VHF is enough of a challenge.

I've heard people talk about it before, but I haven't seen it done yet. All of the BBSs I know that run over the air run on BPQ32: https://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32.html

Not trying to discourage you, I think it would be really cool, it's just that the reality of speeds you can get over the air lend themselves to very stripped down ascii implentations that are simple -certainly you can do that with Synchronet, but it's not the default. As someone who remembers what 1200 baud modems dialing into BBSs was like (and 300 baud, which is what you would get over HF - was largely before my time) - it's painful just for loading menus.
Also, if you haven't seen VARA and VARA-FM it's worth looking into as you can get faster speeds than with AX.25 TNCs.

73,

Tom KN6Q
Sysop of Desert Rats Sanctuary --- https://bbs.kn6q.org

---