From: andre.robitaille@VERT/RDOMENTR (Andre Robitaille)
To: ARRL de WD1CKS
Subject: ARRL EXPO and Hamvention??? 2022 a Great Success
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 00:40:47 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Andre Robitaille - Fri, 27 May 2022 05:40 UTC

Re: ARRL EXPO and Hamvention¿ 2022 a Great Success
By: ARRL de WD1CKS to QST on Fri May 27 2022 12:49 am

AD> An ARRL Youth Outreach forum on Friday highlighted resources and ideas for
AD> attracting and developing young hams. ARRL Education and Learning Manager
AD> Steve Goodgame, K5ATA, led the crowd of attendees through a highly
AD> interactive session discussing strategies, tools, and reasons for engaging
AD> youth. Centered around the theme of 'How and Why to Engage Youth in
AD> Amateur Radio," forum attendees participated in discussion groups and
AD> shared their findings throughout the forum. The entire presentation was
AD> recorded by Josh Nass, KI6NAZ, and can be viewed on his YouTube channel,
AD> Ham Radio Crash Course, at https://youtu.be/QZco6tElKBc[1].

I'll have to go watch this, but I'm placing my bet now. A bunch of guys in their 70s who have no direct contact with youth talking about what youth are interested in.

My favorite anecdote was when I was sitting on a Section Youth Coordinator call and a bunch of people were talking about reaching youth through social media by setting up a Facebook Group. I asked one of the two people under 18 on the call if kids use Facebook. She replied, "I don't know anyone that's even been on it."

- Andre

---
■ Synchronet ■ Radio Mentor BBS - bbs.radiomentor.org

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1345&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#1345

 by: - Sun, 5 May 2024 10:45 UTC