From: paulie420@VERT/BEERS20 (paulie420)
To: DaiTengu
Subject: Re: Windows 11
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 08:46:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: paulie420 - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 08:46 UTC

Da> I'd love to switch over to pure Linux, but I have too many programs and
Da> games that rely on Windows. Hell my Windows 11 install has multiple
Da> Linux distros installed via W4L already that I use, and I have a half
Da> dozen other machines in

I'm currently giving ZorinOS Pro an install. It, unlike ZorinOS Core, has Win/MacOS and other themes included and also has WINE *setup* for a user that might not grasp how to do that in a usable way. WINE allows you to run some, if not most, Windows applications under Linux.

It might be a good OS for you to give a try... it costs $39, but like I stated above you can try Core out for free - I think that Core still has WINE installed... just no support from the Zorin folks.

I don't have any track record with this distro, I'm just now installing... but its description sure fits what you stated you wished for.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
|08.........

Re: Windows 11

<61797584.4795.dove.hardware@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=542&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#542

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: paulie420
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 01:27:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 08:27 UTC

-=> paulie420 wrote to DaiTengu <=-

pa> It might be a good OS for you to give a try... it costs $39, but like I
pa> stated above you can try Core out for free - I think that Core still
pa> has WINE installed... just no support from the Zorin folks.

I was meaning to swap out my boot drive and run Zorin for a while; have it
running in a VM and like it.

My wife and I were going to make a big purchase on one of our cards, and she
wasn't sure it worked - she thought maybe she hadn't called to register it.
I suggested she make a small online purchase on it, and she didn't have time
to do it.

I somehow found myself looking up 1TB SSDs on Amazon. Just to make sure the
card works... :)

.... Trust in the you of now
--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: Windows 11

<617C0FFD.2972.dove-hwswhelp@warensemble.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=546&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#546

From: daitengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE (DaiTengu)
To: paulie420
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 03:15:09 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: DaiTengu - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 08:15 UTC

Re: Re: Windows 11
By: paulie420 to DaiTengu on Mon Oct 25 2021 03:46 pm

pa> I'm currently giving ZorinOS Pro an install. It, unlike ZorinOS Core, has
pa> Win/MacOS and other themes included and also has WINE *setup* for a user
pa> that might not grasp how to do that in a usable way. WINE allows you to
pa> run some, if not most, Windows applications under Linux.

pa> It might be a good OS for you to give a try... it costs $39, but like I
pa> stated above you can try Core out for free - I think that Core still has
pa> WINE installed... just no support from the Zorin folks.

I'm pretty familiar with WINE. The ham radio applications I use on Windows don't have an equivelant counterpart under Linux, and are too complex for WINE to deal with, with serial connections audio cabling and whatnot.

Also, newer video games never run well under WINE, if at all. I just picked up the new Guardians of the Galaxy game, as of right now reports are it won't run at all under WINE (or any of the forks designed for PC Gaming).

The other reason I stick with Windows is because it's mindless. I can install and run whatever without having to tinker and fiddle with things, or edit 30 different config files, or find the right library for compatability.

I spent all day dealing with Linux at work. when I'm done with work, I don't want to spend my free time dealing with it, too.

DaiTengu

.... Tolkien is hobbit-forming.

---
■ Synchronet ■ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com

Re: Windows 11

<617D1FDE.5323.dove-hlp@bbs.mozysswamp.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=550&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#550

From: boraxman@VERT/MSRDBBS (Boraxman)
To: DaiTengu
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 14:34:00 +1100
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Boraxman - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 03:34 UTC

-=> DaiTengu wrote to paulie420 <=-

Da> @MSGID: <617C0FFD.2972.dove-hwswhelp@warensemble.com>
Da> @REPLY: <61773578.17473.dove-hlp@vert.synchro.net>
Da> Re: Re: Windows 11
Da> By: paulie420 to DaiTengu on
Da> Mon Oct 25 2021 03:46 pm

pa> I'm currently giving ZorinOS Pro an install. It, unlike ZorinOS Core, has
pa> Win/MacOS and other themes included and also has WINE *setup* for a user
pa> that might not grasp how to do that in a usable way. WINE allows you to
pa> run some, if not most, Windows applications under Linux.

pa> It might be a good OS for you to give a try... it costs $39, but like I
pa> stated above you can try Core out for free - I think that Core still has
pa> WINE installed... just no support from the Zorin folks.

Da> I'm pretty familiar with WINE. The ham radio applications I use on
Da> Windows don't have an equivelant counterpart under Linux, and are too
Da> complex for WINE to deal with, with serial connections audio cabling
Da> and whatnot.

Da> Also, newer video games never run well under WINE, if at all. I just
Da> picked up the new Guardians of the Galaxy game, as of right now reports
Da> are it won't run at all under WINE (or any of the forks designed for PC
Da> Gaming).

Da> The other reason I stick with Windows is because it's mindless. I can
Da> install and run whatever without having to tinker and fiddle with
Da> things, or edit 30 different config files, or find the right library
Da> for compatability.

Da> I spent all day dealing with Linux at work. when I'm done with work, I
Da> don't want to spend my free time dealing with it, too.

Wierd, I moved away from Windows to Linux because I didn't want to mess around
with the OS all the time. Granted this was back in 2000, and I was using
Windows 98, but I got tired of reinstalling Windows 98 all the time, having to
wipe it, reinstal, put my configuration back the way I liked it. With Linux I
wanted an OS I could install once, configure, and it would stay that way.

.... MultiMail, the new multi-platform, multi-format offline reader!
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
■ Synchronet ■ MS & RD BBs - bbs.mozysswamp.org

Re: Windows 11

<61B48857.904.dove-hwswhelp@bbs.zruspas.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=570&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#570

From: joe.phigan@VERT/ZRUSPAS (Joe Phigan)
To: DaiTengu
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 05:15:35 +0100
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Joe Phigan - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 04:15 UTC

Re: Re: Windows 11
By: DaiTengu to paulie420 on Fri Oct 29 2021 10:15:09

> I'm pretty familiar with WINE. The ham radio applications I use on Windows
> don't have an equivelant counterpart under Linux, and are too complex for
> WINE to deal with, with serial connections audio cabling and whatnot.

What ham apps are you running in Windows?

---
■ Synchronet ■ Zruspa's BBS

Re: Windows 11

<61C4B113.3002.dove-hwswhelp@warensemble.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=573&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#573

From: daitengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE (DaiTengu)
To: Joe Phigan
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 04:25:39 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: DaiTengu - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 10:25 UTC

Re: Re: Windows 11
By: Joe Phigan to DaiTengu on Sat Dec 11 2021 12:15 pm

>> I'm pretty familiar with WINE. The ham radio applications I use on
>> Windows don't have an equivelant counterpart under Linux, and are too
>> complex for WINE to deal with, with serial connections audio cabling
>> and whatnot.

JP> What ham apps are you running in Windows?

Win4Icom, ACLog (N3FJP's logging software), Winlink + VARA, Ham Radio Deluxe (mostly for the digital mode stuff), various stuff for digital modes (YSF, Wires-X DMR and D-Star) Occasionally I use CW Skimmer.

Those are the ones that are strictly limited to Windows. other stuff I run is WSJT-X and/or JTDX, fldigi from time to time, and GridTracker. These all have native linux binaries.

DaiTengu

.... Pohl's law: Nothing is so good that somebody, somewhere, will not hate it

---
■ Synchronet ■ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com