From: utopian.galt@VERT/IUTOPIA (Utopian Galt)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Subject: Re: Windows 11
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 14:06:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Utopian Galt - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 14:06 UTC

> operation run for seniors. They do building material recycling,
> e-waste,
I think that is a good idea, help to make older technology usable. Make a
10 year old laptop serviable for another 5 years, or use parts from older
desktops to make a semi updated computer.

---
■ Talisman ■ Inland Utopia - telnet://iutopia.duckdns.org:2023

Re: Windows 11

<618FCDD2.1034.dove-hlp@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=562&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#562

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Utopian Galt
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 01:38:10 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: MRO - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 07:38 UTC

Re: Re: Windows 11
By: Utopian Galt to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Nov 12 2021 09:06 pm

> > operation run for seniors. They do building material recycling,
> > e-waste,
> I think that is a good idea, help to make older technology usable. Make a
> 10 year old laptop serviable for another 5 years, or use parts from older
> desktops to make a semi updated computer.

as an electronics tech who worked in RMA departments, i'd have to say putting old parts to make a computer to give to another is a receipe for disaster.

that computer will just blow out something and then it will have to be serviced again. that would be more expensive overall than getting them a cheap computer with new parts.

using old stuff just doesnt pan out.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: Windows 11

<61915829.11131.dove-hlp@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=564&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#564

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: MRO
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 06:40:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Moondog - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 11:40 UTC

Re: Re: Windows 11
By: MRO to Utopian Galt on Sat Nov 13 2021 08:38 am

> Re: Re: Windows 11
> By: Utopian Galt to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Nov 12 2021 09:06 pm
>
> > > operation run for seniors. They do building material recycling,
> > > e-waste,
> > I think that is a good idea, help to make older technology usable. Make a
> > 10 year old laptop serviable for another 5 years, or use parts from older
> > desktops to make a semi updated computer.
>
> as an electronics tech who worked in RMA departments, i'd have to say puttin
>
> that computer will just blow out something and then it will have to be servi
>
> using old stuff just doesnt pan out.

The e-recycling places in my area that try to recover money through store
front used computer and part salesdo not offer up much stuff past 5 years
old. If it was worth anything it would sell quickly or in the case of older
stuff it would stripped down to recover materials. One place the company I
worked for would donate machines to stopped taking CRT's then eventually
hardware over 7 years old because they couldn't flip it.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net