From: utopian.galt@VERT/IUTOPIA (Utopian Galt)
To: Moondog
Subject: Re: Windows 11
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 14:37:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Utopian Galt - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 14:37 UTC

-=> Moondog wrote to MATTHEW MUNSON <=-

Mo> No better time to ditch Windows than during a new version release.
Mo> You'll never miss it unless you're a pc gamer
My old laptop can not handle new releases of Windows 10 :( So I installed ibuntu on it, now it loads faster. 2nd gen i5 laptop with 8gb ram. Maybe I
could find a 7200 rpm laptop hard drive, but the laptop is almost 10 years ld.

Desktop computers that can game are becoming too pricey. I cant justify
burning 1500 bucks on one now.

.... Don't compromise your freedoms for protection.
---
■ Talisman ■ Inland Utopia - telnet://iutopia.duckdns.org:2023

Re: Windows 11

<6188EB5F.1716.dove-hwswhelp@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=553&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#553

From: arelor@VERT/PALANT (Arelor)
To: Utopian Galt
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 20:18:23 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Arelor - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 02:18 UTC

Re: Re: Windows 11
By: Utopian Galt to Moondog on Sat Nov 06 2021 09:37 pm

> -=> Moondog wrote to MATTHEW MUNSON <=-
>
> Mo> No better time to ditch Windows than during a new version release.
> Mo> You'll never miss it unless you're a pc gamer
> My old laptop can not handle new releases of Windows 10 :( So I installed
> ibuntu on it, now it loads faster. 2nd gen i5 laptop with 8gb ram. Maybe I
> could find a 7200 rpm laptop hard drive, but the laptop is almost 10 years l
>
> Desktop computers that can game are becoming too pricey. I cant justify
> burning 1500 bucks on one now.
>

> ... Don't compromise your freedoms for protection.

Fun fact: a friend of mine has an old computer he intended to use for gaming,
but since it can no longer cope with new games, he decided to install Linux on
it and a bunch of retro emulators. He is having a blast playing old games from
the 90s and beyond.

I think paying more than 1000 bucks for a computer you don't intend to use for
production is hard to justify.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: Windows 11

<618BE0B1.4805.dove.hardware@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=554&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#554

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Utopian Galt
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 01:28:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 09:28 UTC

-=> Utopian Galt wrote to Moondog <=-

UG> Desktop computers that can game are becoming too pricey. I cant justify
UG> burning 1500 bucks on one now.

I bought a used Dell Inspiron 3847 with an i7 and 16 GB of RAM for $175.
Added a $100 Nvidia card, think it's a GT1030, and I can get 60 FPS out of
War Thunder at medium res. 40 at high. 50 when I custom tune it based on the
Nvidia optimizing app.

.... Simple subtraction
--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: Windows 11

<618C508A.1718.dove-hwswhelp@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=555&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#555

From: arelor@VERT/PALANT (Arelor)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 10:06:50 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Arelor - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 16:06 UTC

Re: Re: Windows 11
By: poindexter FORTRAN to Utopian Galt on Mon Nov 08 2021 08:28 am

> -=> Utopian Galt wrote to Moondog <=-
>
> UG> Desktop computers that can game are becoming too pricey. I cant justify
> UG> burning 1500 bucks on one now.
>
> I bought a used Dell Inspiron 3847 with an i7 and 16 GB of RAM for $175.
> Added a $100 Nvidia card, think it's a GT1030, and I can get 60 FPS out of
> War Thunder at medium res. 40 at high. 50 when I custom tune it based on the
> Nvidia optimizing app.
>

> ... Simple subtraction

I probably shoul�d not be asking this, but did you buy it from a shady guy in
a dark alley in Detroit or something? Because dealers of used IT have computers
like that in store but they don't sell them for 175 bucks precisely.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
� Synchronet � Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: Windows 11

<618C8376.1028.dove-hlp@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=556&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#556

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Arelor
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 13:44:06 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: MRO - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 19:44 UTC

Re: Re: Windows 11
By: Arelor to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed Nov 10 2021 05:06 pm

> I probably shoul¡d not be asking this, but did you buy it from a shady guy
> in
> a dark alley in Detroit or something? Because dealers of used IT have
> computers like that in store but they don't sell them for 175 bucks
> precisely.

in the usa we can usually get stuff like this from ebay but the memory isnt normally that high. maybe 4-8gigs.
poindexter probably doesnt know how much memory he has and got the video card model wrong.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: Windows 11

<618E8173.4808.dove.hardware@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=560&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#560

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Arelor
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 23:16:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 07:16 UTC

-=> Arelor wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

Ar> I probably shoul-d not be asking this, but did you buy it from a shady
Ar> guy in a dark alley in Detroit or something? Because dealers of used IT
Ar> have computers like that in store but they don't sell them for 175
Ar> bucks precisely.

We have a Thrift store called Grey Bears in Santa Cruz, CA. It's a huge
operation run for seniors. They do building material recycling, e-waste,
food programs for seniors, and have a thriving thrift shop.

Their computer and electronics section is pretty impressive; I've recently
bought a nice, new to me stereo receiver there for $60 and a Synology
DS1010+ chassis for $130.

.... Apotheosis was the beginning before the beginning.