From: esc@VERT/MONTEREY (esc)
To: MRO
Subject: Re: Babylon 5
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 05:14:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Entertainment
 by: esc - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 05:14 UTC

MR> ds9 is a weird show. it probably shifted gears 3 times.

When I was a kid I liked TNG, but I've tried rewatching it and I realize I've grown accustomed to having a linear narrative across multiple episodes. TNG is still very much the "you can watch any episode randomly and the story is self contained" thing, which I realize now I don't like as much.

Does DS9 have a linear narrative, or is each episode a single vignette by itself?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/11 (Linux/64)
* Origin: m O N T E R E Y b B S . c O M

Re: Babylon 5

<62F04B88.37498.dove_entertai@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=517&group=DOVE-Net.Entertainment#517

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: esc
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 09:32:24 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Entertainment
 by: Nightfox - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 16:32 UTC

Re: Re: Babylon 5
By: esc to MRO on Sun Aug 07 2022 12:14 pm

es> When I was a kid I liked TNG, but I've tried rewatching it and I realize
es> I've grown accustomed to having a linear narrative across multiple
es> episodes. TNG is still very much the "you can watch any episode randomly
es> and the story is self contained" thing, which I realize now I don't like
es> as much.

I'm curious why you now tend to prefer the narrative across multiple episodes these days? It seems like almost all TV shows are done that way now, which I don't really mind, but I miss shows where each episode is its own story. These days, the story pretty much spans a whole season of a TV show, so if there are 10 episodes, it's basically a 10-hour movie. I feel like it all blends together, and later, if I want to go back and watch an episode where something happened, it's harder to remember which episode that was.

Also, sometimes I just like being able to just pick any episode and watch it without needing the context of the previous episodes.

es> Does DS9 have a linear narrative, or is each episode a single vignette by
es> itself?

DS9 starts out with more or less each episode having its own story, but it soon progresses to having a narrative that spans multiple episodes. Still, I think it was a mix of the two styles. Although it had a major storyline that spanned multiple episodes (and even multiple seasons), it still had individual side stories for many of the individual episodes.

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Re: Babylon 5

<62F05014.2597.dove-ent@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=519&group=DOVE-Net.Entertainment#519

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: esc
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 11:51:48 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Entertainment
 by: MRO - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 16:51 UTC

Re: Re: Babylon 5
By: esc to MRO on Sun Aug 07 2022 12:14 pm

> When I was a kid I liked TNG, but I've tried rewatching it and I realize
> I've grown accustomed to having a linear narrative across multiple episodes.
> TNG is still very much the "you can watch any episode randomly and the story
> is self contained" thing, which I realize now I don't like as much.

i like that. i like the variety.

> Does DS9 have a linear narrative, or is each episode a single vignette by
> itself?

sometimes it does both or either.
that also is a bit of variety i liked about it.
I really didn't like the emissary stuff.

---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: Babylon 5

<62F05825.2599.dove-ent@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=520&group=DOVE-Net.Entertainment#520

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Nightfox
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 12:26:13 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Entertainment
 by: MRO - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 17:26 UTC

Re: Re: Babylon 5
By: Nightfox to esc on Sun Aug 07 2022 04:32 pm

> DS9 starts out with more or less each episode having its own story, but it
> soon progresses to having a narrative that spans multiple episodes. Still,
> I think it was a mix of the two styles. Although it had a major storyline
> that spanned multiple episodes (and even multiple seasons), it still had
> individual side stories for many of the individual episodes.

it also gets better once he shaves his head and grows the goatee[vandyke].
hawk in the house.

---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: Babylon 5

<62F06067.12769.dove-ent@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=522&group=DOVE-Net.Entertainment#522

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: esc
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 14:01:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Entertainment
 by: Moondog - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 18:01 UTC

Re: Re: Babylon 5
By: esc to MRO on Sun Aug 07 2022 12:14 pm

> MR> ds9 is a weird show. it probably shifted gears 3 times.
>
> When I was a kid I liked TNG, but I've tried rewatching it and I realize I'v
> hich I realize now I don't like as much.
>
> Does DS9 have a linear narrative, or is each episode a single vignette by it

DS9 has story arcs sprinkled with stand alone stories. It becomes more
serial as time goes by. Some purists hated DS9 because it was not Roddenberry
's style. One of the reasons Roddenberry agreed to bring the series back was
due to syndication being less strict than a networks' schedule. If a week
was skipped because post production was late, that was occasionally
allowable to keep the quality up. If a show could not be played at it's
scheduled time, the local station had a window to re-air or show an episode
again later in the evening or another day of the week. More two part, three
part stories could exist. If a major character change was to be made, they
didn't have to wait until the season finale or next season premier to
institute it.

Marine Sirtis once heard Roddenberry say Trek was all about exploration, not
about running a hotel. The writers used his own wordplay to pitch the
series. If Star Trek was Wagon Train set in space, DS9 was Rifleman set in
space. Sisko and his son were the equivalent of McCain and his son, and all
the trouble would come to them.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

Re: Babylon 5

<62F08605.12776.dove-ent@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=525&group=DOVE-Net.Entertainment#525

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: MRO
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 16:41:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Entertainment
 by: Moondog - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 20:41 UTC

Re: Re: Babylon 5
By: MRO to Nightfox on Sun Aug 07 2022 07:26 pm

> Re: Re: Babylon 5
> By: Nightfox to esc on Sun Aug 07 2022 04:32 pm
>
> > DS9 starts out with more or less each episode having its own story, but i
> > soon progresses to having a narrative that spans multiple episodes. Stil
> > I think it was a mix of the two styles. Although it had a major storylin
> > that spanned multiple episodes (and even multiple seasons), it still had
> > individual side stories for many of the individual episodes.
>
> it also gets better once he shaves his head and grows the goatee[vandyke].
> hawk in the house.

That was a good look for Sisko.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

Re: Babylon 5

<62F1C772.2612.dove-ent@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=533&group=DOVE-Net.Entertainment#533

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Moondog
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 14:33:22 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Entertainment
 by: MRO - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 19:33 UTC

Re: Re: Babylon 5
By: Moondog to MRO on Sun Aug 07 2022 11:41 pm

> > it also gets better once he shaves his head and grows the
> > goatee[vandyke]. hawk in the house.
>
> That was a good look for Sisko.

he went back to his spenser for higher hawk character look.
there was also more character development.

---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::