From: ib.joe@VERT/JOESBBS (IB Joe)
To: Digital Man
Subject: Re: Lunatics Unleashed
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 06:38:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Advertisements
 by: IB Joe - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 06:38 UTC

On 12 Jun 2022, Digital Man said the following...
DM> @MSGID: <62A63B51.16985.dove-ads@vert.synchro.net>
DM> @REPLY: <62A61B29.16983.dove-ads@vert.synchro.net>
DM> @TZ: c1e0
DM> Re: Re: Lunatics Unleashed
DM> By: IB Joe to Cozmo on Sun Jun 12 2022 10:58 am
DM>
DM> > On 11 Jun 2022, Cozmo said the following...
DM> >
DM> > Co> @VIA: LUN
DM> > Co> @MSGID: <62A4C196.16975.dove-ads@vert.synchro.net>
DM> > Co> Just checked the ansi and didn't see anything. It views fine for m
DM> > Co> using SyncTerm and Netrunner. Don't know what it could be.
DM> >
DM> >
DM> > Mystic sees ANSI fine... I am under the impression that future builds o
DM> > Synchronet will also see ANSI as well in the message base
DM>
DM> Synchronet "sees ANSI" fine as well. What you're confused about is that
DM> Mystic will strip-out cursor-positioning sequences before displaying
DM> ANSI in messages to its users. I made a change to do something similar
DM> in my msglist.js module. I made no such change in Synchronet itself as
DM> that would make ANSImation in messages impossible. And most other BBS
DM> programs won't modify the ANSI before showing to a user either, so its
DM> best practice to just not include the cursor-positioning sequences in
DM> the first place. --

We just need to get MRO to upgrade ... :)

You're doing a great job!!!

IB Joe
AKA Joe Schweier
SysOp of Joe's BBS
-=JoesBBS.com=-

.... It said "insert disk #3", but only two will fit...

* Origin: JoesBBS.Com, Telnet:23 SSH:22 HTTP:80

Re: Lunatics Unleashed

<62A64F0D.16987.dove-ads@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=517&group=DOVE-Net.Advertisements#517

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: IB Joe
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 06:39:41 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Advertisements
 by: Digital Man - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 13:39 UTC

Re: Re: Lunatics Unleashed
By: IB Joe to Digital Man on Sun Jun 12 2022 01:38 pm

> On 12 Jun 2022, Digital Man said the following...
>
> DM> @MSGID: <62A63B51.16985.dove-ads@vert.synchro.net>
> DM> @REPLY: <62A61B29.16983.dove-ads@vert.synchro.net>
> DM> @TZ: c1e0
> DM> Re: Re: Lunatics Unleashed
> DM> By: IB Joe to Cozmo on Sun Jun 12 2022 10:58 am
>
> DM> > On 11 Jun 2022, Cozmo said the following...

> DM> > Mystic sees ANSI fine... I am under the impression that future
> DM> > builds o Synchronet will also see ANSI as well in the message base
>
> DM> Synchronet "sees ANSI" fine as well. What you're confused about is that
> DM> Mystic will strip-out cursor-positioning sequences before displaying
> DM> ANSI in messages to its users. I made a change to do something similar
> DM> in my msglist.js module. I made no such change in Synchronet itself as
> DM> that would make ANSImation in messages impossible. And most other BBS
> DM> programs won't modify the ANSI before showing to a user either, so its
> DM> best practice to just not include the cursor-positioning sequences in
> DM> the first place. --
>
> We just need to get MRO to upgrade ... :)

No, I think you missed the point. Using the built-in message reading in Synchronet, it does not strip ANSI cusor-positioning sequences, so the resulting ANSI may not display as the original author intended. This is how most BBS programs send ANSI-encoded messages. The only exceptions that I know of are Mystic and now Synchronet's msglist.js, which will modify the ANSI contents, stripping away cursor-positioning sequences, before showing them to the user. The best solution is to not include the unintended cursor-positioning sequences in the message in the first place. Using TheDraw, this can be achived by using the "block save" (Alt-B) command.

> You're doing a great job!!!

Thanks. I guess I need to do a better job of explaining things however.
--
digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #6:
BBS = Bulletin Board System
Norco, CA WX: 84.0°F, 50.0% humidity, 12 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: Lunatics Unleashed

<62a7539d.263.msgs_dove_ads@tinysbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=519&group=DOVE-Net.Advertisements#519

From: apam@VERT/TINYSII (apam)
To: Digital Man
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 04:11:08 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Advertisements
 by: apam - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 09:11 UTC

> This is how most BBS programs send ANSI-encoded messages. The only
> exceptions that I know of are Mystic and now Synchronet's msglist.js,
> which will modify the ANSI contents, stripping away cursor-positioning
> sequences, before showing them to the user. The best solution is to

Talisman does this as well, as at one time mystic modified messages to
make them a maximum of 80 columns, so to display ansi without it getting
mangled along the way we had to save ansis with a limit of 79 characters
wide (which caused a lot of cursor positioning sequences.)

When I say modified, I don't mean locally, if it was used as a hub, it
would mangle the ansis on messages that just passed through the system. I
don't know if that is still the case or not.

> sequences, before showing them to the user. The best solution is to
> not include the unintended cursor-positioning sequences in the message
> in the first place. Using TheDraw, this can be achived by using the
> "block save" (Alt-B) command.

That would be the best solution I suppose, but I wonder wouldn't messages
with intended animation have the same effect as those with unintended
cursor positioning codes?

Andrew

---
■ Talisman ■ Tiny's BBS II - http://www.tinysbbs.com

Re: Lunatics Unleashed

<62A77ECF.16991.dove-ads@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=520&group=DOVE-Net.Advertisements#520

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: apam
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 04:15:43 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Advertisements
 by: Digital Man - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 11:15 UTC

Re: Re: Lunatics Unleashed
By: apam to Digital Man on Mon Jun 13 2022 11:11 am

> > sequences, before showing them to the user. The best solution is to
> > not include the unintended cursor-positioning sequences in the message
> > in the first place. Using TheDraw, this can be achived by using the
> > "block save" (Alt-B) command.
>
> That would be the best solution I suppose, but I wonder wouldn't messages
> with intended animation have the same effect as those with unintended
> cursor positioning codes?

Unintended cursor positioning sequences are usually not necessary for the message to appear as intended. They could just be stripped and the display program/script handle auto-line wrap or whatever, as appropriate for the client's terminal width.

Intended cursor positioning is used to create animation ("ANSImation") effects. If you strip the cursor positioning sequences, then you lose this ability and only the "final result" (e.g. last screen of an animation sequence) would be displayed to the user.
--
digital man (rob)

Breaking Bad quote #37:
only the very best... with just a right amount of dirty. - Saul
Norco, CA WX: 68.9°F, 74.0% humidity, 8 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net