From: paulie420@VERT/BEERS20 (paulie420)
To: Ogg
Subject: Re: Windows 11
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 10:41:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: paulie420 - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 10:41 UTC

Og> p> This new laptop is a powerhouse and... is it smart/the norm to run Og> p> Win
Og> p> 11 [or 10] in a VM? I don't really want/need to get OUT of Linux - Og> p> onl
Og> p> have Windows when needed. [Running RipTEL or some light steam Og> p> games.]
Og>
Og> How did you configure your framework laptop?
Og>
Og> What's the battery life like?

I ordered the I7-1165g version, its the middle option with only one better processor available - the I7-1185. I put 32gb of 3200 RAM in it and a 1TB fast SSD. (Wish I'd of bit the bullet and bought a 4TB NVMe - as it only has that one location for drive space.)

Furthermore, I got a bunch of the user ports - one of which is a 256GB USB disk; thats one of my favorite part of the laptop, these user-interchangable user ports. When I first populated them, I put USB-C, mini-SD, HDMI and the 256GB... but have since switched to 2-USB-A, 1-USB-C and the 256GB drive - and moved them around a bit too... its really nice to be able to switch those out on the fly. And, the CAD files are up on github so that we can design anything we might want to cook up. I/O, a magnetic [Magsafe-like] charge port or anything. I anticipate that people might come up with some neat stuff in the future.

I run Fedora on it; I'm normally an Ubuntu guy, but Fedora is supporting the Frame.work and a respin of Fedora 34 has most all the hardware supported - like the fingerprint reader... altho that thing [and all fingerprint readers] kinda suck under Linux anyway. I can't be happier with Fedora, I'm really kinda enjoying it. For me, the GNOME extensions offer enough in customization - I used to like messing around with KDE, but its been nice to just... not. Add some extensions that make sense for me and lean into GNOME - I kinda dig it.

The battery life is decent, but not the best. I'm seeing around 5hrs but I do use the heck out of the machine when I've been testing it. Not too much idling or basic www stuff... I usually have a suite of open software. It has a BIOS option to turn the battery OFF - doesn't sound like you'd need that, but - for me its a good feature. I'm usually on A/C.

The Frame has been pretty nice so far. Now if I had my choice, I'm of wanted an AMD chip. The Intel certainly doesn't have the cores that AMD offers - but I came off 12 year old Thinkpad hardware... to me, this thing screams. I wanted to support Frame.work and what they're trying to do for right to repair. The engineering in this thing is really impressive. Open, scan a QR and info is in front of your face. Nice - they did a good job, too... small things like the keyboard has a fairly long connection cable - you won't rip it out when removing the keyboard.

I'd suggest it to anyone looking for new Intel hardware. Now that the MBPs can take some Linux distros, thats a strong contender IMO - but this is different. I like different. Hopefully the company makes it and offers upgrades in the future. Guess time will tell.

:P