From: paulie420@VERT/BEERS20 (paulie420)
To: Nightfox
Subject: Re: Windows 11
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 02:24:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: paulie420 - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 02:24 UTC

Ni> I've heard today (October 5, 2021) is the official release day of
Ni> Windows 11. I might see if a Windows 11 update appears in my Windows
Ni> Update for my PC this evening (I've heard they're not rolling it out all
Ni> at once). If you're using Windows 11, I'm curious what you think of it?
Ni>
Ni> Nightfox

I don't use Windows, at all - however I just got a new laptop and think I should have some Windows install...

This new laptop is a powerhouse and... is it smart/the norm to run Windows 11 [or 10] in a VM? I don't really want/need to get OUT of Linux - only have Windows when needed. [Running RipTEL or some light steam games.]

And... does my Windows 10 key work for Windows 11? Hmmmmm....

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
|08.........

Re: Windows 11

<615DDACB.6725.dove_dove-hlp@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=499&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#499

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: paulie420
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 03:20:11 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Nightfox - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 10:20 UTC

Re: Re: Windows 11
By: paulie420 to Nightfox on Wed Oct 06 2021 09:24 am

pa> I don't use Windows, at all - however I just got a new laptop and think I
pa> should have some Windows install...

pa> This new laptop is a powerhouse and... is it smart/the norm to run Windows
pa> 11 [or 10] in a VM? I don't really want/need to get OUT of Linux - only
pa> have Windows when needed. [Running RipTEL or some light steam games.]

I don't see anything wrong with running Windows in a VM. There are Mac OS and Linux users who do that.

pa> And... does my Windows 10 key work for Windows 11? Hmmmmm....

Did your new laptop come with Windows? If so, I'd imagine you could make a backup of that and restore the backup in a VM and see if/how well it works. I've heard current users who bought Windows 10 (or had Windows 10 come with a PC/laptop) should be able to update to Windows 11 for free. I don't know if a Windows 10 key will work for a fresh Windows 11 install, but at least a Windows 10 install could be able to update to Windows 11.

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Windows 11

<615E2B91.5157.dove-hlp@capitolcityonline.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=501&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#501

From: ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Ogg)
To: paulie420
Subject: Windows 11
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 11:06:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Ogg - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 15:06 UTC

Hello paulie420!

** On Wednesday 06.10.21 - 09:24, paulie420 wrote to Nightfox:

p> This new laptop is a powerhouse and... is it smart/the norm to run Windows
p> 11 [or 10] in a VM? I don't really want/need to get OUT of Linux - only
p> have Windows when needed. [Running RipTEL or some light steam games.]

How did you configure your framework laptop?

What's the battery life like?

--- OpenXP 5.0.50
* Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

Re: Windows 11

<61607DD4.4772.dove.hardware@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=510&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#510

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: paulie420
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 00:07:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 07:07 UTC

-=> paulie420 wrote to Nightfox <=-

pa> I don't use Windows, at all - however I just got a new laptop and think
pa> I should have some Windows install...

pa> This new laptop is a powerhouse and... is it smart/the norm to run
pa> Windows 11 [or 10] in a VM? I don't really want/need to get OUT of
pa> Linux - only have Windows when needed. [Running RipTEL or some light
pa> steam games.]

I've run Windows in Virtualbox for that very reason, but games usually need
more than a virtualized GPU. Sounds like you could run QEMU and pass through
tasks to the GPU.

pa> And... does my Windows 10 key work for Windows 11? Hmmmmm....

I don't know. It was one of the worst-kept secrets that Windows 7 keys
worked to upgrade to Windows 10, even as of last year.

.... Overtly resist change
--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.