Girls really do know just what they want -- you to figure it out for yourself!

dovenet / Hardware Software Help / Windows 11

SubjectAuthor
* Windows 11Nightfox
+* Windows 11Digital Man
|`* Windows 11MRO
| +* Windows 11Arelor
| |+* Windows 11MRO
| ||`- Windows 11Nightfox
| |`- Windows 11Nightfox
| `* Windows 11Nightfox
|  +- Windows 11MRO
|  `* Re: Windows 11Tracker1
|   +- Re: Windows 11MRO
|   `- Re: Windows 11Nightfox
+- Re: Windows 11poindexter FORTRAN
`- Re: Windows 11Tracker1

1
Windows 11

<615CABDD.6723.dove_dove-hlp@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=497&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#497

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: All
Subject: Windows 11
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 05:47:41 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Nightfox - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 12:47 UTC

I've heard today (October 5, 2021) is the official release day of Windows 11. I might see if a Windows 11 update appears in my Windows Update for my PC this evening (I've heard they're not rolling it out all at once). If you're using Windows 11, I'm curious what you think of it?

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Windows 11

<615E3E8B.17427.dove-hlp@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=500&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#500

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Nightfox
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 10:25:47 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Digital Man - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 17:25 UTC

Re: Windows 11
By: Nightfox to All on Tue Oct 05 2021 12:47 pm

> I've heard today (October 5, 2021) is the official release day of Windows
> 11. I might see if a Windows 11 update appears in my Windows Update for my
> PC this evening (I've heard they're not rolling it out all at once). If
> you're using Windows 11, I'm curious what you think of it?

Microsoft's compatibilty checker says my 16-core AMD Bulldozer server-class processor circa 2015 is not good enough to run Windows 11. I'll see if I can install/upgrade-to it on one of my other Windows systems, but from what I've seen in the preview videos, I'm in no hurry.
--
digital man

Rush quote #75:
Though his mind is not for rent, don't put him down as arrogant .. Tom Sawyer
Norco, CA WX: 73.7°F, 60.0% humidity, 6 mph NNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Windows 11

<615E5FA0.977.dove-hlp@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=502&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#502

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Digital Man
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 14:46:56 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: MRO - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 19:46 UTC

Re: Windows 11
By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Wed Oct 06 2021 05:25 pm

> Microsoft's compatibilty checker says my 16-core AMD Bulldozer server-class
> processor circa 2015 is not good enough to run Windows 11. I'll see if I can
> install/upgrade-to it on one of my other Windows systems, but from what I've
> seen in the preview videos, I'm in no hurry.
> --

yeah i'm suprised to see that my i7-7700 processor cant handle it.

that's nuts. whats so special about windows 11.

i'm not going to upgrade; this processor is more than enough for what i do.
when i download new games it plays them fine.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Windows 11

<615ED323.1662.dove-hwswhelp@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=503&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#503

From: arelor@VERT/PALANT (Arelor)
To: MRO
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 22:59:47 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Arelor - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 03:59 UTC

Re: Windows 11
By: MRO to Digital Man on Wed Oct 06 2021 09:46 pm

> Re: Windows 11
> By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Wed Oct 06 2021 05:25 pm
>
> > Microsoft's compatibilty checker says my 16-core AMD Bulldozer server-class processor circa 2015 is not good enough to run Windows 11. I'll see if I can install/upgrade-to it on one of my
> > other Windows systems, but from what I've seen in the preview videos, I'm in no hurry.
> > --
>
> yeah i'm suprised to see that my i7-7700 processor cant handle it.
>
> that's nuts. whats so special about windows 11.
>
> i'm not going to upgrade; this processor is more than enough for what i do. when i download new games it plays them fine.

You can say that again. Why are regular consumers going to throw perfectly working gear in the trash in order to run a new Windows version is beyond me.

When I was a kid and I used Windows, every time Microsoft released a new version, I feel on my knees tearing my clothes appart and screamin "No, not again! They are forcing an upgrade again!"

Now I use something else, every time my Linux distribution or BSD provider releases something new, I jump up and down yellin "Yay, more awesome stuff for free!"

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Windows 11

<615EFE26.980.dove-hlp@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=504&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#504

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Arelor
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 02:03:18 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: MRO - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 07:03 UTC

Re: Windows 11
By: Arelor to MRO on Thu Oct 07 2021 05:59 am

> > yeah i'm suprised to see that my i7-7700 processor cant handle it.
>
> > that's nuts. whats so special about windows 11.
>
> > i'm not going to upgrade; this processor is more than enough for what i
> > do. when i download new games it plays them fine.
>
> You can say that again. Why are regular consumers going to throw perfectly
> working gear in the trash in order to run a new Windows version is beyond
> me.

i think it's because i have something disabled on my motherboard. it would have been nice if it told me WHAT the problem was.

> When I was a kid and I used Windows, every time Microsoft released a new
> version, I feel on my knees tearing my clothes appart and screamin "No, not
> again! They are forcing an upgrade again!"

you were poor.

> Now I use something else, every time my Linux distribution or BSD provider
> releases something new, I jump up and down yellin "Yay, more awesome stuff
> for free!"

i'm scared to update my linux OS version. it will probably turn purple and shit.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Windows 11

<615F1B77.6733.dove_dove-hlp@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=505&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#505

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: MRO
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 02:08:23 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Nightfox - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 09:08 UTC

Re: Windows 11
By: MRO to Digital Man on Wed Oct 06 2021 09:46 pm

MR> yeah i'm suprised to see that my i7-7700 processor cant handle it.

An i7-7700 could probably handle Windows 11 just fine. Microsoft has just chosen not to support that processor.

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Windows 11

<615F1C7E.6734.dove_dove-hlp@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=506&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#506

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: Arelor
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 02:12:46 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Nightfox - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 09:12 UTC

Re: Windows 11
By: Arelor to MRO on Thu Oct 07 2021 05:59 am

Ar> You can say that again. Why are regular consumers going to throw perfectly
Ar> working gear in the trash in order to run a new Windows version is beyond
Ar> me.

I heard Windows 10 will still be supported until 2025. So there shouldn't be any problems with that, and by then, many people might want a new PC anyway.

Ar> When I was a kid and I used Windows, every time Microsoft released a new
Ar> version, I feel on my knees tearing my clothes appart and screamin "No,
Ar> not again! They are forcing an upgrade again!"

I didn't really feel that way when I was a kid.. But maybe it's because when I was a kid, Windows 3.0 and 3.1 were the new things, and when Widnows 95 came out, that was a very significant upgrade. When Windows 95 came out, many people were excited about it, and people even lined up outside of stores to buy it.

My computer wasn't quite powerful enough to run Windows 95 very well at the time, but after a while I bought a new computer.

I thought it was interesting to see the new advancements when new versions of Windows came out. I don't think they're forcing us to upgrade though. We can stick with an older version if we want (though, software companies will eventually stop supporting the older versions).

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Windows 11

<615F1D26.6735.dove_dove-hlp@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=507&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#507

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: MRO
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 02:15:34 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Nightfox - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 09:15 UTC

Re: Windows 11
By: MRO to Arelor on Thu Oct 07 2021 09:03 am

MR> i think it's because i have something disabled on my motherboard. it would
MR> have been nice if it told me WHAT the problem was.

I've heard Windows 11 generally only supports 8th-generation and newer Intel Core processors (with some exceptions). So for your i7-7700, it's not just something you can enable on the motherboard. I've read Microsoft apparently says Windows is more stable on newer processors, and they want people to have a good experience with Windows. I also read it may have something to do with the Spectre & Meltdown CPU flaws that were revealed a few years ago, and Microsoft might not want to have to include the software patches for those (the newer processors generally have hardware fixes for those).

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Windows 11

<615F2AAA.985.dove-hlp@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=508&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#508

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Nightfox
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 05:13:14 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: MRO - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 10:13 UTC

Re: Windows 11
By: Nightfox to MRO on Thu Oct 07 2021 09:08 am

> Re: Windows 11
> By: MRO to Digital Man on Wed Oct 06 2021 09:46 pm
>
> MR> yeah i'm suprised to see that my i7-7700 processor cant handle it.
>
> An i7-7700 could probably handle Windows 11 just fine. Microsoft has just
> chosen not to support that processor.
>
> Nightfox

i had to turn on 2 features. it couldnt tell that i turned on secure boot.
and my processor is black listed.

for sure it can handle windows 11 just fine.

i'm not sweating it.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: Windows 11

<61607DD4.4771.dove.hardware@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=509&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#509

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Nightfox
Subject: Re: Windows 11
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 00:05:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 07:05 UTC

-=> Nightfox wrote to All <=-

Ni> I've heard today (October 5, 2021) is the official release day of
Ni> Windows 11. I might see if a Windows 11 update appears in my Windows
Ni> Update for my PC this evening (I've heard they're not rolling it out
Ni> all at once). If you're using Windows 11, I'm curious what you think
Ni> of it?

I don't think I have TPM 2.0 (I have a 3 year-old consumer-grade PC) and the
upgrader complains that I have a too-old processor for it (even though it's
a 4-core i7)

Sounds like there's a way to upgrade it, but I'm happy for now - when I
upgrade it'll be to elsewhere.

.... Overtly resist change
--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: Windows 11

<6173AAA4.1484.dove-hwswhelp@roughneckbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=532&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#532

From: tracker1@VERT/TRN (Tracker1)
To: Nightfox
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 16:24:36 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Tracker1 - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 23:24 UTC

On 10/5/21 12:47 PM, Nightfox wrote:
> I've heard today (October 5, 2021) is the official release day of
> Windows 11. I might see if a Windows 11 update appears in my Windows
> Update for my PC this evening (I've heard they're not rolling it out
> all at once). If you're using Windows 11, I'm curious what you think
> of it?

Been running insiders for a few years... Win11 is ok-ish... but the
second time it blew up on me... I'm back onLinux, if that says anything.
--
Michael J. Ryan - tracker1@roughneckbbs.com
---

Re: Windows 11

<6173ABC0.1485.dove-hwswhelp@roughneckbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=533&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#533

From: tracker1@VERT/TRN (Tracker1)
To: Nightfox
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 16:29:19 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Tracker1 - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 23:29 UTC

On 10/7/21 9:08 AM, Nightfox wrote:

>> yeah i'm suprised to see that my i7-7700 processor cant handle it.
>
> An i7-7700 could probably handle Windows 11 just fine. Microsoft
> has just chosen not to support that processor.

They're drawing a line in the sand at TPM2 and Secure Boot.
--
Michael J. Ryan - tracker1@roughneckbbs.com
---
� Synchronet � Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com

Re: Windows 11

<6173C924.1011.dove-hlp@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=534&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#534

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Tracker1
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 20:34:44 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: MRO - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 01:34 UTC

Re: Re: Windows 11
By: Tracker1 to Nightfox on Fri Oct 22 2021 11:29 pm

> On 10/7/21 9:08 AM, Nightfox wrote:
> >>
> >> yeah i'm suprised to see that my i7-7700 processor cant handle it.
>
> > An i7-7700 could probably handle Windows 11 just fine. Microsoft
> > has just chosen not to support that processor.
>
> They're drawing a line in the sand at TPM2 and Secure Boot.
> --
> Michael J. Ryan - tracker1@roughneckbbs.com

i have those 2 things. and they're switched on. my processor is still blacklisted.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: Windows 11

<6174440B.6766.dove_dove-hlp@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=535&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#535

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: Tracker1
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 03:19:07 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Nightfox - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 10:19 UTC

Re: Re: Windows 11
By: Tracker1 to Nightfox on Fri Oct 22 2021 11:29 pm

>> An i7-7700 could probably handle Windows 11 just fine. Microsoft
>> has just chosen not to support that processor.

Tr> They're drawing a line in the sand at TPM2 and Secure Boot.

I don't think those depend on the processor though..

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com