From: greenlfc@VERT/BEERS20 (Greenlfc)
To: Nightfox
Subject: Re: SignalTech wifi boost
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 23:31:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Greenlfc - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 23:31 UTC

On 08 Sep 2021, Nightfox said the following...
Ni> Using a VPN won't increase your internet speed. If your internet speed
Ni> is being limited by your ISP or is limited by your router, something
Ni> like a VPN isn't going to help.
Ni>
Ni> If anything, a VPN slows you down a bit, because with a VPN, your
Ni> internet traffic gets routed through additional servers.

That's generally true, although the exception would be if your ISP is throttling certain types of traffic. By tunnelling over the VPN, your ISP can't see where your tunnelled traffic is going, and thus cannot shape it.

GreenLFC ║ e> greenleaderfanclub@protonmail.com
Infosec / Ham / Retro ║ masto> greenleaderfanclub@distrotoot
Avoids Politics on BBS ║ gem> gemini.greenleader.xyz

Re: SignalTech wifi boost

<613A4DA3.286.dove-internet@bbs.n1uro.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=488&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#488

From: brian.rogers@VERT/CARNAGE (Brian Rogers)
To: Greenlfc
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 07:07:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Brian Rogers - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 11:07 UTC

Hello Greenlfc;

-=> Greenlfc wrote to Nightfox <=-

Gr> That's generally true, although the exception would be if your ISP is
Gr> throttling certain types of traffic. By tunnelling over the VPN, your
Gr> ISP can't see where your tunnelled traffic is going, and thus cannot
Gr> shape it.

If it was the policy of most ISPs to rate shape based off of types of traffic
that'd be one thing but most do so across the spectrum at the MAC address level
at the edge which would still bag any VPN or tunneled traffic. If this were
true I'd be getting 10 Gig through one of my tunnels.

.... Internal Error: The system has been taken over by sheep at line 19960
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.49
� Synchronet � SBBS - Carnage! Hartford, Ct bbs.n1uro.com:2300