From: xerxes@VERT/KN6Q (Xerxes)
To: echicken
Subject: VARA Modem
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 02:45:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Xerxes - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 02:45 UTC

Re: VARA Modem
By: echicken to InfectedBootSector on Sun Feb 20 2022 04:44 am

> Re: VARA Modem
> By: InfectedBootSector to All on Sat Feb 19 2022 21:35:00
>
> In> Anyone out there using VARA Modem for Packet BBS use? If so, do you
> In> feel comfortable replacing your hardware with it? I'm tempted to
> In> downsize my considerable PK232 collection but haven't put much time on
> In> VARA yet...
>
> I'd like to know more about it. I'm not familiar with the VARA modem and a
> quick search turns up ... bits of information scattered all over the place,
> in keeping with frustrating amateur tradition.
>
> Will this modem be compatible with remote stations that currently connect to
> your PK232(s)?
>
> Have you tried it? Anything making you feel wary of using it more?

I use VARA Modem for my Winlink station. It's pretty speedy particularly in WIDE mode if you have a radio/gear that can support it. It's not traditional packet and a PK232 or other TNC is won't work with it.

The only BBS software that I know that uses it and supports it is BPQ32 which is Ham Radio focused. For the uninitiated BPQ32 has a pretty steep learning curve.

73,

Tom KN6Q

Sysop of Desert Rats Sanctuary --- https://bbs.kn6q.org

---