From: arrl.de.wd1cks@VERT/WLARB (ARRL de WD1CKS)
To: QST
Subject: Heil Sound Changes Hands
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 11:13:37 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: ARRL de WD1CKS - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 11:13 UTC

02/09/2022

Heil Sound[1] has changed hands. Founded by Bob Heil, K9EID, and based in
Fairview Heights, Illinois, Heil Sound is a manufacturer of microphones,
microphone accessories, and audio accessories for both professionals and
amateurs. The new owners are Heil Sound President and CEO Ash Levitt and
Director of Operations Steve Warford. Sarah Heil, who was co-owner of Heil
Sound, has retired, but Bob Heil will continue to do outreach work and amateur
radio product design as Founder and CEO Emeritus.

"My life has been about achieving great sound, whether on the concert stage or
in the amateur radio world," Bob Heil recounted. "I've watched Heil Sound go
from a regional sound company to a world-class microphone manufacturer. This
company has been my passion, but it is time for me to step aside. There is no
better team to carry the company forward than Ash and Steve, and I have the
utmost confidence in them."

Heil Sound is a name well known within the worldwide amateur radio community
for its microphones and "boom set" microphone/headset combinations. The company
marked its 50th anniversary in 2016. The company began in 1966 as Ye Olde Music
Shoppe - a music store in Marissa, Illinois, Heil's hometown.

Heil initially made a name for himself working with music performers to provide
sound reinforcement for their live gigs, initially supplying full sound system
packages for venues and festivals throughout the Midwest and later working with
world-class acts such as Humble Pie, The Who, The Grateful Dead, and Joe Walsh,
WB6ACU. Heil said it was the Dead's Jerry Garcia who suggested the Heil Sound
name. Among other innovations, Heil created the quadraphonic sound system for
The Who's "Quadrophenia" tour as well as the Heil Talk Box, made famous by Joe
Walsh and Peter Frampton.

Levitt and Warford both started working with Heil Sound as teenagers, building
and packaging products. Levitt took a different career path in academia for
several years but continued to regularly consult with Heil Sound. He returned
to Heil Sound full time in 2017 and assumed the role of president in 2020.
Warford worked his way up in the company over the course of his tenure and, for
the past several years, has been responsible for daily operations.

"Steve and I are honored to carry forward the legacy of Heil Sound," Levitt
said. "We care very deeply about Heil Sound's role in the industry and intend
to build on that going forward with new products and greater distribution. An
important part of that role that we pride ourselves on is the connection we
have with professionals and end-users. As a musician and former broadcaster, I
have spent a lot of time on stages and in studios in front of a microphone and
understand our users' needs. I and everyone at Heil Sound share a passion for
what we do because it helps others achieve their creative endeavors."

[1] http://www.heilsound.com/

---
■ Synchronet ■ Whiskey Lover's Amateur Radio BBS