From: arrl.de.wd1cks@VERT/WLARB (ARRL de WD1CKS)
To: QST
Subject: ARISS Highlighted among NASA's Best Space Station Science Pictures of 2021
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 14:56:41 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: ARRL de WD1CKS - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 14:56 UTC

01/10/2022

NASA has recognized Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS[1])
as a science education and research program. Two images of ARISS activity are
among those singled out by the space agency as some of the Best Space Station
Science Pictures of 2021[2]. ARRL Representative to ARISS-International Rosalie
White, K1STO, said recognition is significant because it shows that NASA
considers what ARISS does to be within the realm of science education and
research.

"Actually, it's an honor for amateur radio, too, that this program is
categorized as science education and research," White added. "This is a really
big deal for ARISS, and we are really proud of the team."

White feels the most important aspect of the recognition is that it shows that
NASA believes in ARISS's efforts in the realm of science education and
research. "They call our radio contacts 'ISS experiments,' just as we call each
radio contact an ARISS experiment," she said.

The introduction to the new video[3], which NASA shared on Twitter, is, "It has
been a busy year of research aboard the International Space Station[4]. NASA's
SpaceX Crew-1, Crew-2, and Crew-3 missions supported hundreds of science
experiments aboard the orbiting laboratory."

ARISS team member Armand Budzianowski, SP3QFE, wrote, "It is phenomenal that we
were honored as creating science. It is a proud moment that ARISS and amateur
radio were honored for the field of science and research by NASA!"

NASA also shared the photos[5] on its website.

[1] http://www.ariss.org/
[2] https://twitter.com/ISS_Research/status/1476589898673143814
[3] https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/news/best-space-station-science-pictures-2021
[4] https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/overview.html
[5] https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/news/best-space-station-science-pictures-2021

---
■ Synchronet ■ Whiskey Lover's Amateur Radio BBS