From: josh.ramsey@VERT/BASEMENT (Josh Ramsey)
To: All
Subject: Garry Shandling
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 16:52:09 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Josh Ramsey - Tue, 11 May 2021 20:52 UTC

Curious if anyone ever interacted with Garry Shandling. Apparently, he'd been
an amateur radio enthusiast from his teens until his death in 2016. I've been
rewatching his work (It's Garry Shandling's Show and The Larry Sanders Show,
amongst other work like stand-up and hosting gigs), so I started looking into
his life. That's where I learned of his passion for radio. As far as I can
tell, the last sign he used was KQ6KA and he used "Dave Waddell" as a
pseudonym to anyone he didn't know well enough to trust with his actual
identity.

---
■ Synchronet ■ Basement Theory BBS ■ basement.synchro.net

Re: Garry Shandling

<609BF41E.62.dove-ham@bbs.n1uro.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=27&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#27

From: brian.rogers@VERT/CARNAGE (Brian Rogers)
To: Josh Ramsey
Subject: Re: Garry Shandling
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 04:16:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Brian Rogers - Wed, 12 May 2021 08:16 UTC

-=> Josh Ramsey wrote to All <=-

JR> Curious if anyone ever interacted with Garry Shandling. Apparently,
JR> he'd been an amateur radio enthusiast from his teens until his death in
JR> 2016. I've been rewatching his work (It's Garry Shandling's Show and
JR> The Larry Sanders Show, amongst other work like stand-up and hosting
JR> gigs), so I started looking into his life. That's where I learned of
JR> his passion for radio. As far as I can tell, the last sign he used was
JR> KQ6KA and he used "Dave Waddell" as a pseudonym to anyone he didn't
JR> know well enough to trust with his actual identity.

From my 2006 copy of QRZ! db:
n1uro-15@n1uro.ampr.org:/uronode6: wwc kq6ka
Trying 44.88.0.12:qrz... <Enter> aborts.
Socket established to 44.88.0.12:qrz
QRZ! database of Wed Oct 11 15:29:00 2006

KQ6KA DAVE WADDELL, 271
9100 WILSHIRE BLVD SUITE 1000W Class: A 08/25/99
BEVERLY HILLS, CA, 90212 Prev: KD6OY
Expir: 08/25/09
Are you sure that Dave Waddell perhaps wasn't his real name and Gary
Shandling was his "stage" name?

.... Internal Error: The system has been taken over by sheep at line 19960
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
� Synchronet � SBBS - Carnage! *73 de N1URO* bbs.n1uro.com:2300

Re: Garry Shandling

<609F4635.4226.dove-ham@warensemble.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=34&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#34

From: daitengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE (DaiTengu)
To: Brian Rogers
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 15:55:33 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: DaiTengu - Fri, 14 May 2021 20:55 UTC

Re: Re: Garry Shandling
By: Brian Rogers to Josh Ramsey on Wed May 12 2021 11:16 am

BR> KQ6KA DAVE WADDELL, 271
BR> 9100 WILSHIRE BLVD SUITE 1000W Class: A 08/25/99
BR> BEVERLY HILLS, CA, 90212 Prev: KD6OY
BR> Expir: 08/25/09
BR> Are you sure that Dave Waddell perhaps wasn't his real name and Gary
BR> Shandling was his "stage" name?

According to Wikipedia:
Shandling was a licensed amateur radio operator. Starting as a teenager he held the callsigns WA7BKG, KD6OY and KQ6KA. The latter he held with a pseudonym, Dave Waddell, to avoid undue attention when he operated. [46]

THe information comes from here:
http://www.arrl.org/news/comedian-actor-tv-writer-and-personality-garry-shandli ng-ex-kd6oy-sk

DaiTengu

.... I belong to no organized party - I am a democrat.

---
■ Synchronet ■ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com