From: paul.hayton@VERT/RETRO (Paul Hayton)
To: Flavio Bessa
Subject: Re: Crash Netmail
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 17:14:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Paul Hayton - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 17:14 UTC

On 22 Apr 2024 at 12:07p, Flavio Bessa pondered and said...
FB> PH> Based on the rule 2:* you have stated at 4:80/1 then Mystic would loo
FB> PH> to that to route all Zone 2 netmail via 2:292/854 ...so that behavio
FB> PH> is also expected at the HUB system.
FB>
FB> PH> Mystic will check to see if you have a direct connection with a syste
FB> PH> you are sending netmail to and if it find that, it will route the
FB> PH> netmail directly to that echomail node and not look at the Route Info
FB> PH> line you may (I am assuming here) have set up for your HUB system ...
FB> PH> presume something like a Route Info statement like 1:* 2:* 3:* 4:*
FB> PH> similar?
FB>
FB> But that is the point... If I have the CRASH flag enabled for
FB> Netmail, Mystic should (according to the FTSC specs) read the nodelist,
FB> find out the Binkp address for Bjorn's system, and issue an unsecured
FB> session towards 2:203/0. That is what the other mailers do, and that is
FB> why we have nodelists in the first place...

No. The CRASH flag won't in itself be enough for Mystic to do what you hope it will do. Also note that just because you may have run the MergeNodelists function in MUTIL this will only scan the nodelists you point to and build a text file in the data directory of Mystic. This is in turn used by the nodelist browser feature, but that feature is like looking up a phone book for a number, nothing more.

It does not impact on how Mystic deals with netmail (g00r00 may care to jump in when next active to confirm or update these thoughts ;))

Mystic has it's own logic as to how it will route netmail. Refer to whatsnew.txt to see what this is. g00r00 has documented it there. Look for 'netmail routing' in that document and read this to understand the steps Mystic takes.

If you are unhappy with the way Mystic acts, then it's best to post some feedback to this echo and suggest what you think it could do differently/better etc. and why... and then you will need to wait for the software author to reply.

Kerr Avon [Blake's 7] 'I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going'
avon[at]bbs.nz | bbs.nz | fsxnet.nz

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
* Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (3:770/100)

Re: Crash Netmail

<662947DB.1745.dove-general@kk4qbn.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=3239&group=DOVE-Net.General#3239

From: kk4qbn@VERT/KK4QBN (kk4qbn)
To: Paul Hayton
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 13:56:43 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: kk4qbn - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 17:56 UTC

Re: Re: Crash Netmail
By: Paul Hayton to Flavio Bessa on Tue Apr 23 2024 17:14:00

FB> PH>> Based on the rule 2:* you have stated at 4:80/1 then Mystic would
FB> PH>> loo to that to route all Zone 2 netmail via 2:292/854 ...so that
FB> PH>> behavio is also expected at the HUB system.

FB> PH>> Mystic will check to see if you have a direct connection with a
FB> PH>> syste you are sending netmail to and if it find that, it will route
FB> PH>> the netmail directly to that echomail node and not look at the Route
FB> PH>> Info line you may (I am assuming here) have set up for your HUB
FB> PH>> system ... presume something like a Route Info statement like 1:*
FB> PH>> 2:* 3:* 4:* similar?

FB>> But that is the point... If I have the CRASH flag enabled for Netmail,
FB>> Mystic should (according to the FTSC specs) read the nodelist, find out
FB>> the Binkp address for Bjorn's system, and issue an unsecured session
FB>> towards 2:203/0. That is what the other mailers do, and that is why we
FB>> have nodelists in the first place...

I wish that whomever has the mystic support group tied into Dovenet-General would knock it off already..
---
Tim (kk4qbn)
+o kk4qbn.synchro.net
■ Synchronet ■ KK4QBN BBS - kk4qbn.synchro.net - Chatsworth, GA USA

Re: Crash Netmail

<6629B01B.130169.dove-gen@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=3241&group=DOVE-Net.General#3241

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: kk4qbn
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 18:21:31 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Digital Man - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 01:21 UTC

Re: Re: Crash Netmail
By: kk4qbn to Paul Hayton on Wed Apr 24 2024 01:56 pm

> I wish that whomever has the mystic support group tied into Dovenet-General
> would knock it off already..

I've removed posting privileges from the RETRO QWKnet account until that sysop can confirm they've fied their cross-up.
--
digital man (rob)

Rush quote #3:
The men who hold high places must be the ones who start... Closer to the Heart
Norco, CA WX: 62.0°F, 67.0% humidity, 5 mph WNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: Crash Netmail

<6629E394.5269.dove-general@tacopronto.bbs.io>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=3242&group=DOVE-Net.General#3242

From: phigan@VERT/TACOPRON (phigan)
To: kk4qbn
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 22:01:08 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: phigan - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 05:01 UTC

Re: Re: Crash Netmail
By: kk4qbn to Paul Hayton on Wed Apr 24 2024 01:56 pm

> I wish that whomever has the mystic support group tied into Dovenet-General
> would knock it off already..

Ya, I know this is "General", but it's getting ridiculous :).

---
■ Synchronet ■ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io

Re: Crash Netmail

<6629C61F.1245.dove-general@vintagepi.asuscomm.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=3243&group=DOVE-Net.General#3243

From: neoshock@VERT/VINTAGE (Neoshock)
To: kk4qbn
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 19:55:27 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Neoshock - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 02:55 UTC

Re: Re: Crash Netmail
By: kk4qbn to Paul Hayton on Wed Apr 24 2024 01:56 pm

kk> I wish that whomever has the mystic support group tied into
kk> Dovenet-General would knock it off already..

Is there any way to find out the source if this issue?

---
■ Synchronet ■ Vintage Pi BBS - vintagepi.asuscomm.com

Re: Crash Netmail

<662A9EE8.130173.dove-gen@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=3244&group=DOVE-Net.General#3244

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Neoshock
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 11:20:24 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Digital Man - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 18:20 UTC

Re: Re: Crash Netmail
By: Neoshock to kk4qbn on Wed Apr 24 2024 07:55 pm

> Re: Re: Crash Netmail
> By: kk4qbn to Paul Hayton on Wed Apr 24 2024 01:56 pm
>
> kk> I wish that whomever has the mystic support group tied into
> kk> Dovenet-General would knock it off already..
>
> Is there any way to find out the source if this issue?

Yes, they all came from "RETRO" a Mystic system.
--
digital man (rob)

Steven Wright quote #27:
Norco, CA WX: 57.4°F, 68.0% humidity, 2 mph WSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: Crash Netmail

<662B101D.124.dove-general@centralontarioremote.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=3245&group=DOVE-Net.General#3245

From: mickey@VERT/CORSYNC (Mickey)
To: Digital Man
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 22:23:25 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Mickey - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 02:23 UTC

Re: Re: Crash Netmail
By: Digital Man to Neoshock on Thu Apr 25 2024 11:20:24

> > Is there any way to find out the source if this issue?
>
> Yes, they all came from "RETRO" a Mystic system.

It was just a matter of timing before it would start. <grin>

..
Mick Manning
Central Ontario Remote | centralontarioremote.net:23

.... The Blues had a Baby - They called it Rock & Roll
.... Join BluesNET - It's not for everyone.

---
■ Synchronet ■ Central Ontario Remote | centralontarioremote.net:23

Re: Crash Netmail

<662C323B.13426.dove-gen@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=3246&group=DOVE-Net.General#3246

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Mickey
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 18:01:15 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: MRO - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 23:01 UTC

Re: Re: Crash Netmail
By: Mickey to Digital Man on Thu Apr 25 2024 10:23 pm

> Re: Re: Crash Netmail
> By: Digital Man to Neoshock on Thu Apr 25 2024 11:20:24
>
> > > Is there any way to find out the source if this issue?
>
> > Yes, they all came from "RETRO" a Mystic system.
>
> It was just a matter of timing before it would start. <grin>

whats that supposed to mean? bonehead sysops do it all the time
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::