From: mary4@VERT/ANDUIN (Mary4)
To: Arelor
Subject: HAPPY TRANSGENDER DAY
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 22:34:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Mary4 - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 22:34 UTC

RE: HAPPY TRANSGENDER DAY
BY: Arelor to Bf2k+ on Mon Apr 15 2024 16:40:00

> I wonder if education programs are at fault.
>
> As in, college graduates barely know how to code the basics so companies hav
> to train them nearly from the ground up. It certainly seems that way in lots
> fields.

yeah unis fuckin suck they basrely teach us old school stuff. all my old
school C and asm skills (asm weaker than C) is self taught the uni focouses
too much on shitty ass python and java and c# (more like c SHIT! xD)

after 14 years of fucking achedimia, I can conclude the university I am going
to is not good when it comes to wanting to know how a computer works!

- Mary4
- bbs.anduin.net

.... "Windows Performance", on the next "In Search Of".

---
■ Synchronet ■ bbs.anduin.net

Re: HAPPY TRANSGENDER DAY

<661E8471.55489.dove.dove-gen@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=3116&group=DOVE-Net.General#3116

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Mary4
Subject: Re: HAPPY TRANSGENDER DAY
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 06:39:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 13:39 UTC

-=> Mary4 wrote to Arelor <=-

Ma> yeah unis fuckin suck they basrely teach us old school stuff. all my
Ma> old school C and asm skills (asm weaker than C) is self taught the uni
Ma> focouses too much on shitty ass python and java and c# (more like c
Ma> SHIT! xD)

When I went to school, they focused mostly on teaching structured
programming. We started out with PASCAL, then did most of our work in
ANSI C, then played around with LISP a bit. It was meant more to teach
how to code moreso than teaching specific languages.

I suppose Python, Java and C# are the most common programming languages
out there now, hopefully they teach the fundamentals so when the next
Big Language(tm) comes around, graduates can pick it up easily.

Learning Python seems like a great skill to have starting out - lots of
python code out there on the web, and it's relatively easy to pick up
someone else's code and run with it.

.... This is it -- the center of the maze...
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

HAPPY TRANSGENDER DAY

<6627A10C.34044.dove-general@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=3225&group=DOVE-Net.General#3225

From: arelor@VERT/PALANTIR (Arelor)
To: Mary4
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 06:52:44 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Arelor - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 11:52 UTC

Re: HAPPY TRANSGENDER DAY
By: Mary4 to Arelor on Mon Apr 15 2024 10:34 pm

> yeah unis fuckin suck they basrely teach us old school stuff. all my old
> school C and asm skills (asm weaker than C) is self taught the uni focouses
> too much on shitty ass python and java and c# (more like c SHIT! xD)

Python and Java and C# at least have some professional projection, so at least it is not a waste of time.

I am more concerned about people not learning the real basics. To keep with the IT subject, many university graduates are never told about common design patterns.
--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

HAPPY TRANSGENDER DAY

<6627E668.55590.dove.dove-gen@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=3226&group=DOVE-Net.General#3226

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Arelor
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 09:48:40 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 16:48 UTC

Re: HAPPY TRANSGENDER DAY
By: Arelor to Mary4 on Tue Apr 23 2024 06:52 am

> I am more concerned about people not learning the real basics. To keep with
> the IT subject, many university graduates are never told about common design
> patterns.

Yeah, most of what I learned wasn't practical application of a specific language, but algorithms and structured programming skills. The theory and skills we learned in C and Pascal could apply to any language.

This was CS back in the '80s. Pascal as a starter, the majority ANSI C and some C++, some LISP.
---
■ Synchronet ■ .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

HAPPY TRANSGENDER DAY

<662847B5.13415.dove-gen@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=3228&group=DOVE-Net.General#3228

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 18:43:49 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: MRO - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 23:43 UTC

Re: HAPPY TRANSGENDER DAY
By: poindexter FORTRAN to Arelor on Tue Apr 23 2024 09:48 am

> Re: HAPPY TRANSGENDER DAY
> By: Arelor to Mary4 on Tue Apr 23 2024 06:52 am
>
> > I am more concerned about people not learning the real basics. To keep
> > with the IT subject, many university graduates are never told about
> > common design patterns.
>
> Yeah, most of what I learned wasn't practical application of a specific
> language, but algorithms and structured programming skills. The theory and
> skills we learned in C and Pascal could apply to any language.
>
> This was CS back in the '80s. Pascal as a starter, the majority ANSI C and
> some C++, some LISP.

> Re: HAPPY TRANSGENDER DAY
^^ *taps at the topic*
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::