From: kirkspragg@VERT/BEERS20 (kirkspragg)
To: Mary4
Subject: Re: what do u think of 28
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 17:40:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: kirkspragg - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 17:40 UTC

Ma> what do you think of 286 based machines? :D?

Fun but at times challenging machines to workg with. The first PC my family owned was a IBM PS/1 286 based machine so I have fond memories of it. I also have not so fond memories of some of its limitations, namely the memory
management which is definitely more fiddly and more machine/chipset dependent than later 386 machines.

I find the limitations of these machines fun to work with/work around & its a bit of shame the humble 286 tends to be overlooked but I guess thats understandable given that 386SX machines have similar performance without the 286's more limited & fiddly memory management.

I like my 286 and use every other day or so for either retro gaming
or BBS browsing posting.

.... Wisdom is knowing thyself--and not telling anyone.

Re: what do u think of 28

<66264F7F.11498.dove-gen@crackintimebbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=3218&group=DOVE-Net.General#3218

From: nopants@VERT/CITBBS (Nopants)
To: kirkspragg
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 07:52:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Nopants - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 11:52 UTC

Re: Re: what do u think of 28
By: kirkspragg to Mary4 on Fri Apr 19 2024 06:40 pm

> I like my 286 and use every other day or so for either retro gaming
> or BBS browsing posting.

What 286 games are you all playing?

I would be playing Starflight. Maybe some King's Quest.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Crack in Time BBS - crackintimebbs.ddns.net:2323