From: flavio.bessa@VERT/RETRO (Flavio Bessa)
To: Paul Hayton
Subject: Re: Crash Netmail
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 12:07:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Flavio Bessa - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 12:07 UTC

On 22 Apr 2024, Paul Hayton said the following...
PH> So confirming Route Info for the echomail node 2:292/854 defined at
PH> 4:80/1 has 2:* ?? Just checking I understand this.

Correct.

PH> Also does 4:80/1 have any other echomail nodes with Zone 2 systems that
PH> are defined and active or is 2:292/854 the only one?

Is the only one.

PH> Understood, so this just means any netmail you send is sent quickly off
PH> to it's next hop.

Correct.

PH> this sounds correct.
PH>
PH> I am assuming your system routes all netmail to your HUB 4:80/1 ?

Yes, it does.

PH> Do you have any other echomail nodes setup with systems in Fidonet on
PH> your BBS?

No, just the HUB does.

PH> Based on the rule 2:* you have stated at 4:80/1 then Mystic would look
PH> to that to route all Zone 2 netmail via 2:292/854 ...so that behavior
PH> is also expected at the HUB system.

PH> Mystic will check to see if you have a direct connection with a system
PH> you are sending netmail to and if it find that, it will route the
PH> netmail directly to that echomail node and not look at the Route Info
PH> line you may (I am assuming here) have set up for your HUB system ...
PH> presume something like a Route Info statement like 1:* 2:* 3:* 4:* or
PH> similar?

But that is the point... If I have the CRASH flag enabled for Netmail, Mystic should (according to the FTSC specs) read the nodelist, find out the Binkp address for Bjorn's system, and issue an unsecured session towards 2:203/0. That is what the other mailers do, and that is why we have nodelists in the first place...

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (macOS/64)
* Origin: Saturn's Orbit BBS - Back from the ashes (4:801/188)