From: mary4@VERT/ANDUIN (Mary4)
To: kirkspragg
Subject: what do u think of 28
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 21:43:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Mary4 - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 21:43 UTC

RE: what do u think of 28
BY: kirkspragg to Mary4 on Fri Apr 19 2024 17:40:00

> Ma> what do you think of 286 based machines? :D?
>
> Fun but at times challenging machines to workg with. The first PC my family
> owned was a IBM PS/1 286 based machine so I have fond memories of it. I also
> have not so fond memories of some of its limitations, namely the memory
> management which is definitely more fiddly and more machine/chipset dependen
> than later 386 machines.
>
> I find the limitations of these machines fun to work with/work around & its
> bit of shame the humble 286 tends to be overlooked but I guess thats
> understandable given that 386SX machines have similar performance without th
> 286's more limited & fiddly memory management.
>

> I like my 286 and use every other day or so for either retro gaming
> or BBS browsing posting.
>
> ... Wisdom is knowing thyself--and not telling anyone.
thats an amazing story! <3 <3 <3 <3
i glad you like the 286 like i do. it is an underrated system. i love it;s
limitations and my 286 is pimped out. with EMS and XMS 25mHz and 16 mb of ram.
it is really cool! <3

i love how limited it is! <3
i prefer 286 over 386
386 is to me too modern

---
■ Synchronet ■ bbs.anduin.net

what do u think of 28

<6625A7CB.55571.dove.dove-gen@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=3206&group=DOVE-Net.General#3206

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Mary4
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 16:56:59 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 23:56 UTC

Re: what do u think of 28
By: Mary4 to kirkspragg on Sat Apr 20 2024 09:43 pm

Ma> i glad you like the 286 like i do. it is an underrated system. i love it;s
Ma> limitations and my 286 is pimped out. with EMS and XMS 25mHz and 16 mb of
Ma> ram. it is really cool! <3

That brings back memories -- I had a couple of jobs that threw out lots of working hardware that I was more than happy to take off their hands.

I got 2 AST AboveBoards - memory boards with 2 serial ports, a parallel port and 8 mb of socketed RAM, if memory serves. I loaded up the 8mb in a memory manager, created a RAM disk, and loaded DOS into it.

I was amazed at the difference in memory speed. I could tell when the system booted up, the ticking sound as the memory tested slowed WAY down when it hit the memory on the board. If I recall, it only had an 8 bit ISA interface. Maybe 16?
---
■ Synchronet ■ .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.