From: mary4@VERT/ANDUIN (Mary4)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Subject: Working in your field
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 13:42:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Mary4 - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 13:42 UTC

RE: Working in your field
BY: poindexter FORTRAN to Skylar on Wed Apr 17 2024 06:37:00

> I'm sure you learned a lot just being around a functional corporate
> environment - something kids don't learn when all they do is attend
> classes.
>
> My company a few years back participated in an internship program called
> YearUp. They took kids from commuity colleges and kids working
> part-time jobs after high school. Not your usual well-to-do University
> kids.
>
> YearUp taught them basic office etiquette, how to use MS Office apps,
> and how to interact in teams and in 1:1 settings, and they'd split time
> between corporate internship and classwork.
>
> I did 3 cohorts of 2 people each and it gave me great exposure to
> working and managing 20-somethings. They were a great experience for me,
> and each one of them left the program with a position either at our
> company or outside.
>
> One guy went from bussing tables and working at a convenience store to
> making $60K in a bizdev role, I got to see him continue his career while
> I worked there.

that dose seem good. it helps students become integrated with the work space
i currently work at graduate studies at my uni and i am learning things and
helpng out. but it is not the same as that amazing program

---
■ Synchronet ■ bbs.anduin.net