From: hollowone@VERT/BEERS20 (hollowone)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Subject: Re: DMA in EUrope
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 04:32:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: hollowone - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 04:32 UTC

pF> ho> EU continues pioneering new digital legislation called DMA, which is
pF> ho> at big guys in tech to open up their platforms for more choice.
pF>
pF> It sounds like a good idea, but the biggest issue I've seen are app
pF> stores - owning a proprietary app store and charging admission for 3rd
pF> party apps, as well as forcing all recurring revenue to go through the
pF> store is monopoly power - and we have laws against that kind of thing.
pF> ---

App stores are OK as long as platform is not closed and for sure not good if it's only open on one (own) distribution for apps.

I was willing to accept that business model in gaming consoles, under a condition that super powerful computer inside costs cheaply and they catch up with fees from distribution when hardware sales hits certain volume. Additionally if a console's lifecycle is 7-15 years... then it's absolutely OK to consider buying into closed platforms..

But phones and other mobile devices don't fit into this category and should be more open like computers as I'd idealize. I'd like to select app stores and distribution methods.. I'd like to side load my own apps without app store if I want... without jail-breaking.

I personally consider DMA as small step to achieve more options and regain controls over quite expensive devices that it seems we have little control over today.

-h1

.... Xerox Alto was the thing. Anything after we use is just a mere copy.