From: hollowone@VERT/BEERS20 (hollowone)
To: All
Subject: DMA in EUrope
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 05:35:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: hollowone - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 05:35 UTC

I'm asking around, curious about your opinions.

EU continues pioneering new digital legislation called DMA, which is aimed at big guys in tech to open up their platforms for more choice.

Do you think it can become successful, or blatant?

-h1

.... Xerox Alto was the thing. Anything after we use is just a mere copy.

DMA in EUrope

<65FB702C.55359.dove.dove-gen@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2943&group=DOVE-Net.General#2943

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: hollowone
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 16:24:28 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 23:24 UTC

Re: DMA in EUrope
By: hollowone to All on Wed Mar 20 2024 05:35 am

ho> EU continues pioneering new digital legislation called DMA, which is aimed
ho> at big guys in tech to open up their platforms for more choice.

It sounds like a good idea, but the biggest issue I've seen are app stores - owning a proprietary app store and charging admission for 3rd party apps, as well as forcing all recurring revenue to go through the store is monopoly power - and we have laws against that kind of thing.
---
■ Synchronet ■ .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

DMA in EUrope

<65FB8B03.70915.dove_dove-gen@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2944&group=DOVE-Net.General#2944

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 18:18:59 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Nightfox - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 01:18 UTC

Re: DMA in EUrope
By: poindexter FORTRAN to hollowone on Wed Mar 20 2024 04:24 pm

PF> It sounds like a good idea, but the biggest issue I've seen are app stores
PF> - owning a proprietary app store and charging admission for 3rd party
PF> apps, as well as forcing all recurring revenue to go through the store is
PF> monopoly power - and we have laws against that kind of thing.

Yeah, sometimes I'm a little surprised at what companies get away with despite there being laws. Though, thinking of mobile devices, there are both Android and Apple devices in the market, so technically I'm not sure if they'd be seen as monopolies. It feels like app stores are where things are trending though, as Microsoft also has their store app for Windows now. I've seen some people say they prefer getting their software from those stores, as they feel like they're generally safer than downloading software from any external site (though I like not being restricted to only installing software available from an app store).

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com