From: ltning@VERT/ANDUIN (Ltning)
To: hollowone
Subject: DMA in EUrope
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 17:12:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Ltning - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 17:12 UTC

RE: DMA in EUrope
BY: hollowone to All on Wed Mar 20 2024 05:35:00

OTE: DCTEdit v0.04 [4]
> EU continues pioneering new digital legislation called DMA, which is aimed
> big guys in tech to open up their platforms for more choice.
>
> Do you think it can become successful, or blatant?

It could go either way, IMO. On the one hand, it might help avoid monopolies
from forming or expanding further - but on the other hand, it might stifle
privacy innovation: If you come up with a major new privacy feature
(cryptography or whatnot), and you cannot release it because it would break
integrations with other software, it would potentially be .. problematic?

In general, the privacy and consumer protection laws in the EU are very good
and getting better. That's not to say they don't have their share of problems,
or that there aren't holes and backdoors.

For now, I'll sit back and watch. It won't affect most of the messaging
platforms I use anyway, and I'm pretty sure our BBSes will go under the radar
:)

- Eirik

- Ltning
- bbs.anduin.net