From: bencollver@VERT/EOTLBBS (Bencollver)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Subject: How far I've come...
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 04:50:04 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Programming
 by: Bencollver - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 10:50 UTC

Re: How far I've come...
By: poindexter FORTRAN to All on Sun Jan 22 2023 09:38:00

> Fans were held in place by 4 nylon screws per fan. Removed the fans,
> did a deep de-dusting of the fans, heat sinks and inside the chassis,
> then carefully removed the labels from the fans and put 2 drops
> of oil into each fan's axle.
>
> Everything went back together, the fans are quieter, the fan that would
> stop working momentarily is working normally, and I didn't break
> anything or have screws left over!

Nice job! I remember being in a similar situation with a "homebrew" amd64 server that i inherited. These had metal screws. Servicing the fans helped for a while but i eventually had to replace them. I've broken newer and
smaller hardware that has more plastic parts, so i understand the feeling of relief when it still works after reassembly.
---
■ Synchronet ■ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com