Don't worry if you're a kleptomaniac; you can always take something for it.

dovenet / General / Re: self checkouts again

SubjectAuthor
* self checkouts againThe Godfather
+* self checkouts againNightfox
|`- self checkouts againpoindexter FORTRAN
`* self checkouts againMRO
 `* self checkouts againDumas Walker
  `* self checkouts againMRO
   `- self checkouts againDumas Walker

1
Re: self checkouts again

<658E3022.129348.dove-gen@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2581&group=DOVE-Net.General#2581

From: the.godfather@VERT/UNDERGRO (The Godfather)
To: MRO
Subject: Re: self checkouts again
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 19:39:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: The Godfather - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 19:39 UTC

MR> They still stand around for serveral mins talking about it but not
MR> checking the guy out or me out. and i say, should i go to the other
MR> lane or stay here? and she says she doesn't know. the problem is fixed!
MR> she's just not working. so me and this dude had to sit there for a long
MR> time while they talked. and then i went ot the other lane and waited.
MR> even more time to get out.
MR> Is there something in the water or food that's making people so stupid?
MR> maybe the human race is being slowly poisoned.

In hourly wage speak, this is called "milking the clock" in which you supported, giving them more hours without them having to work harder, therefore going all in on supporting the keeping a job.

I avoid self check out, even moreso now that they look like corrals for sheep, and some stores using biometrics for purchasing. I particularly hate the idea of the small counter provided to place a family of 5's weeks supply of food on while trying to do their job for them -- ring and bag the groceries. I remember being promised saving money if we rang it ourselves, but then bacon went over $9 per package and I decided I wanted the full experience if they're f'ing with the price of bacon. I think it was then, I quit bringing my own bags, grabbing the grocery carts out of the parking lot to get my quarter back, and checking out the groceries myself. I consider the stupidity and hilarity of some of the cashiers to be added entertainment to that experience now -- then again, I avoid grocery stores on the weekends which makes the overall experience less time consuming.

The good news is I read an article that Walmart is going back toward Cashiers because the dystopian self check outs were causing too much theft, shrink, shop lifting. Until Tesla robots can apprehend without a trail of blood; single moms, high schoolers, out of retirement to afford this economy, handicap, and white Christians will have to suffice as those serving as cashiers ;)

|15-|12t|04G
|15www|08.|15theun|07dergrou|08nd|07.|08us|15:|0810023

.... Error, no Keyboard - Press F1 to Continue.

Re: self checkouts again

<658E3260.70434.dove_dove-gen@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2582&group=DOVE-Net.General#2582

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: The Godfather
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 18:43:44 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Nightfox - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 02:43 UTC

Re: Re: self checkouts again
By: The Godfather to MRO on Thu Dec 28 2023 07:39 pm

TG> the groceries. I remember being promised saving money if we rang it
TG> ourselves, but then bacon went over $9 per package and I decided I wanted
TG> the full experience if they're f'ing with the price of bacon. I think it
TG> was then, I quit bringing my own bags, grabbing the grocery carts out of
TG> the parking lot to get my quarter back, and checking out the groceries
TG> myself. I consider the stupidity and hilarity of some of the cashiers to
TG> be added entertainment to that experience now

Where I am, I never heard any grocery store say you'd save money by using the self-checkout. And I've never really had a problem with a grocery cashier, aside from one occasionally being a bit slow.

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Re: self checkouts again

<658EC9D0.12922.dove-gen@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2585&group=DOVE-Net.General#2585

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: The Godfather
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 07:29:52 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: MRO - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 13:29 UTC

Re: Re: self checkouts again
By: The Godfather to MRO on Thu Dec 28 2023 07:39 pm

> In hourly wage speak, this is called "milking the clock" in which you
> supported, giving them more hours without them having to work harder,
> therefore going all in on supporting the keeping a job.

no they dont work more hours. they just work like old people screw.

> The good news is I read an article that Walmart is going back toward
> Cashiers because the dystopian self check outs were causing too much theft,
> shrink, shop lifting. Until Tesla robots can apprehend without a trail of

well they have advanced technology so it can catch people. also they have someone there with a handheld that can see what you are ringing up.

the entire process is being recorded so if someone is doing some bullshit the camera can catch it if it's rigged to do so.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: self checkouts again

<658F0200.55066.dove.dove-gen@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2587&group=DOVE-Net.General#2587

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Nightfox
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 09:22:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 17:22 UTC

-=> Nightfox wrote to The Godfather <=-

Ni> Where I am, I never heard any grocery store say you'd save money by
Ni> using the self-checkout. And I've never really had a problem with a
Ni> grocery cashier, aside from one occasionally being a bit slow.

My only problem is with Safeway. I usually end up getting the floor
supervisor ringing my items up, and he/she is tied up with people asking
for their breaks and scheduling, and not what they're ringing up.

The last time I went there, the cashier was so busy with all that they
didn't even speak a word to me.

I rarely go there these days. I'd rather vote with my dollars.

.... Don't give Chad a big neural network
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: self checkouts again

<65903F59.64796.dove-gen@capcity2.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2595&group=DOVE-Net.General#2595

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: THE GODFATHER
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 10:47:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Dumas Walker - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 15:47 UTC

> The good news is I read an article that Walmart is going back toward
> Cashiers because the dystopian self check outs were causing too much theft,
> shrink, shop lifting. Until Tesla robots can apprehend without a trail of

Self checkouts don't "cause" theft. They may allow easier avenues for
theives to leave the building, and they are being suspended in areas where
shoplifting is more of an issue. My guess would be these are the same
places where the local legal system stopped prosecuting shoplifters.

* SLMR 2.1a * Southern Serves the South

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

Re: self checkouts again

<6591AFC8.12934.dove-gen@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2605&group=DOVE-Net.General#2605

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 12:15:36 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: MRO - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 18:15 UTC

Re: Re: self checkouts again
By: Dumas Walker to THE GODFATHER on Sat Dec 30 2023 10:47 am

> Self checkouts don't "cause" theft. They may allow easier avenues for
> theives to leave the building, and they are being suspended in areas where
> shoplifting is more of an issue. My guess would be these are the same
> places where the local legal system stopped prosecuting shoplifters.

many years ago i had a side job stocking kmart on nights.
the primary area where theft happens is the bathroom. they take shit in there, mess with it and walk out. they might even eat the food in there.

they take shit out of the packaging and then they put it on their person.
they do that many pants and shirt shit.

i dont think self checkout has much theft. aside from people having stuff under the cart and not scanning it. that was a thing my ex did all the time.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: self checkouts again

<6592E8F7.64828.dove-gen@capcity2.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2621&group=DOVE-Net.General#2621

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: MRO
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 10:45:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Dumas Walker - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 15:45 UTC

> > Self checkouts don't "cause" theft. They may allow easier avenues for
> > theives to leave the building, and they are being suspended in areas where
> > shoplifting is more of an issue. My guess would be these are the same
> > places where the local legal system stopped prosecuting shoplifters.

> many years ago i had a side job stocking kmart on nights.
> the primary area where theft happens is the bathroom. they take shit in there
> mess with it and walk out. they might even eat the food in there.

> they take shit out of the packaging and then they put it on their person.
> they do that many pants and shirt shit.

I worked at a Target for a while back in the late 1980's. One thing we had
there that the local KMart did not... the restrooms were on the "outside"
of the checkout area only. They could find other places, like the dressing
rooms, to meddle with packaging though.

Aside from junk food, we didn't have much of a grocery back then.

> i dont think self checkout has much theft. aside from people having stuff unde
> the cart and not scanning it. that was a thing my ex did all the time.

I don't either. The one difference, though, is that the self-check in some
stores has lead to more wide-open areas for "customers" to leave through
without any barriers. There are also fewer people around the checkout area
and exit to stop them from doing so.

In Walmart, you have to go through a maze of sorts to get through most of
the self-check lanes. In Kroger, you can breeze right through them.

However, I don't think this is really a big deal in areas that are not
already having issues with shoplifting, and that don't have a DA who has
decided to stop prosecuting such crime.

* SLMR 2.1a * Direct from the Ministry of Silly Walks

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP