From: hollowone@VERT/BEERS20 (hollowone)
To: Dumas Walker
Subject: Re: self checkouts again
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 13:19:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: hollowone - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 13:19 UTC

DW> Self checkouts don't "cause" theft. They may allow easier avenues for
DW> theives to leave the building, and they are being suspended in areas
DW> where shoplifting is more of an issue. My guess would be these are the
DW> same places where the local legal system stopped prosecuting shoplifters.

shoplifters get into stores regardless of checkout system.

In my area most of the issues are related more toward cheating than stealing.
Value-wise may be the same, but still it's more about getting premium tomatoes and charging cheapest available, same with bread and many fruits. people just select the cheapest option and nobody verifies that.

-h1

.... Xerox Alto was the thing. Anything after we use is just a mere copy.

Re: self checkouts again

<6590972B.70450.dove_dove-gen@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2597&group=DOVE-Net.General#2597

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: hollowone
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 14:18:19 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Nightfox - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 22:18 UTC

Re: Re: self checkouts again
By: hollowone to Dumas Walker on Sat Dec 30 2023 01:19 pm

DW>> Self checkouts don't "cause" theft. They may allow easier avenues for

ho> shoplifters get into stores regardless of checkout system.

Getting into the stores isn't the issue with self-checkout and shoplifting. The issue is that self-checkout can make it easier for customers to steal things because there may be fewer "eyes" watching self-checkout customers. Stores have to have someone monitor self-checkout, either by standing in the self-checkout area or using a camera and having someone watch the screen.

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Re: self checkouts again

<6591ADE7.55080.dove.dove-gen@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2602&group=DOVE-Net.General#2602

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Nightfox
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 09:57:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 17:57 UTC

-=> Nightfox wrote to hollowone <=-

Ni> Getting into the stores isn't the issue with self-checkout and
Ni> shoplifting. The issue is that self-checkout can make it easier for
Ni> customers to steal things because there may be fewer "eyes" watching
Ni> self-checkout customers. Stores have to have someone monitor
Ni> self-checkout, either by standing in the self-checkout area or using a
Ni> camera and having someone watch the screen.

I have no empathy for retailers. I'm sure someone did the numbers and
determined that less cashiers + more loss means more profit than hiring
more cashiers to ring up customers. Any complaints are self-serving at
best and playing both sides of the issue.

If anything, "theft" is being used to close underperforming stores in
lower-income areas. Target was exposed for doing just that - closing
stores in lower-income areas of a city when theft was higher in other
stores that remained open.

--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.