From: the.godfather@VERT/UNDERGRO (The Godfather)
To: Nightfox
Subject: Re: self checkouts again
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 08:42:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: The Godfather - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 08:42 UTC

Ni> Where I am, I never heard any grocery store say you'd save money by
Ni> using the self-checkout.

Spending most of my life working within retail leadership, I can tell you that it was one of the sales pitches of self checkout during it's release. Similar to how PC's were designed to make corporations
more productive. Both statements were true to the corporation: cashiers being axed was a cost savings, while PC's allowed employers to increase workloads without increasing hours. Neither really benefited the end user nearly as broadly as an end user would have thought. In my example, I am a family of 5 and self checkouts are extremely inconvenient.

Ni> using the self-checkout. And I've never really had a problem with a
Ni> grocery cashier, aside from one occasionally being a bit slow.

Nor have I. On the contrary what I was saying was a list of examples of people who need those jobs and why I don't mind the wait, even if one is a bit quirky and or I have to wait a bit longer. It beats doing their job for them for no pay nor savings on groceries, and as a side benefit it gives people in need a job.

|15-|12t|04G
|15www|08.|15theun|07dergrou|08nd|07.|08us|15:|0810023

.... This virus requires Microsoft Windows 3.x

Re: self checkouts again

<658F0FCE.12925.dove-gen@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2588&group=DOVE-Net.General#2588

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: The Godfather
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 12:28:30 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: MRO - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 18:28 UTC

Re: Re: self checkouts again
By: The Godfather to Nightfox on Fri Dec 29 2023 08:42 am

> Ni> Where I am, I never heard any grocery store say you'd save money by
> Ni> using the self-checkout.
>
> Spending most of my life working within retail leadership, I can tell you
> that it was one of the sales pitches of self checkout during it's release.
> Similar to how PC's were designed to make corporations

never heard of it.
how would we save money?

---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: self checkouts again

<658F1ACD.70441.dove_dove-gen@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2589&group=DOVE-Net.General#2589

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: MRO
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 11:15:25 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Nightfox - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 19:15 UTC

Re: Re: self checkouts again
By: MRO to The Godfather on Fri Dec 29 2023 12:28 pm

> Ni>> Where I am, I never heard any grocery store say you'd save money by
> Ni>> using the self-checkout.

>> Spending most of my life working within retail leadership, I can tell you
>> that it was one of the sales pitches of self checkout during it's release.
>> Similar to how PC's were designed to make corporations

MR> never heard of it.
MR> how would we save money?

Persumably, having self-checkout would mean fewer cashiers the store has to pay, resulting in lower prices (or possibly a credit when using self-checkout). But that doesn't seem to actually happen..

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Re: self checkouts again

<659023DF.12927.dove-gen@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2592&group=DOVE-Net.General#2592

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Nightfox
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 08:06:23 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: MRO - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 14:06 UTC

Re: Re: self checkouts again
By: Nightfox to MRO on Fri Dec 29 2023 11:15 am

> MR> never heard of it.
> MR> how would we save money?
>
> Persumably, having self-checkout would mean fewer cashiers the store has to
> pay, resulting in lower prices (or possibly a credit when using
> self-checkout). But that doesn't seem to actually happen..

sounds like something someone made up. no way would we get lower prices. those people dont even get paid that much. over by me they make 11.80/hr. anybody can get a 20+ hr job with no experience someplace else.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::