From: fusion@VERT/CFBBS (fusion)
To: Kurisu
Subject: Re: self checkouts again
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 11:42:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: fusion - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 11:42 UTC

On 27 Dec 2023, Kurisu said the following...
Ku> All of the above in your post, but to the end result of this. Self
Ku> check, for people who actually have half a clue how to use it, is such
Ku> an effecient method I never want to go back to needing someone else in
Ku> the process. It just seems asanine to me to go back to a regular setup
Ku> unless you need some kind of special service that for whatever reason
Ku> explicitly needs another person involved.

tbh i have a better experience at Aldi, with their employees sitting on a stool ringing up 100 items in about a minute than any of the self checkout stores i've been to.. and i end up bagging my own stuff anyways.

i also continuously have great experiences at checkout at.. the dollar store. no self checkout, continuously fast. and that place gets extremely busy..

i feel like you've normalized a crummy experience that is the fault of management and the store's culture and not a fault with regular checkout.

* Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi

Re: self checkouts again

<658DB1E6.26343.dove-general@final-zone.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2580&group=DOVE-Net.General#2580

From: kurisu@VERT/FINALZON (Kurisu)
To: fusion
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 11:35:34 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Kurisu - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 17:35 UTC

Re: Re: self checkouts again
By: fusion to Kurisu on Thu Dec 28 2023 11:42 am

> i feel like you've normalized a crummy experience that is the fault of
> management and the store's culture and not a fault with regular checkout.

Fair.

Aldi does a good job in providing comforts which certainly help keep the cashier in a better mood. I too generally have better experiences at more basic places, as compared to the typical grocery / big box madness, but that's I think due to things generally being lower volume at even a place that may still seem "busy" like a dollar store. It's still usually less stuff than the mass of groceries in every cart.

What I'm getting at is that it seems almost intrinsic that at a point a positive checkout experience just begins to break down, and that somewhere near that point I, like many others, would rather just do it myself.

Or somewthing like that...
_____
xadara.com | final-zone.net

---
■ Synchronet ■ final-zone.net

Re: self checkouts again

<658EC42D.12920.dove-gen@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2583&group=DOVE-Net.General#2583

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: fusion
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 07:05:49 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: MRO - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 13:05 UTC

Re: Re: self checkouts again
By: fusion to Kurisu on Thu Dec 28 2023 11:42 am

> tbh i have a better experience at Aldi, with their employees sitting on a
> stool ringing up 100 items in about a minute than any of the self checkout
> stores i've been to.. and i end up bagging my own stuff anyways.

that's a totally different world though, dude. they are designed to
get you checked out and get you the hell out of there.
also they pay the checkout people decent pay.

> i also continuously have great experiences at checkout at.. the dollar
> store. no self checkout, continuously fast. and that place gets extremely
> busy..

do you mean dollar tree? that depends on the place. they are supposed to
have another person jump on another register when things get backed up. if they don't do it, the line sucks due to the people in the line being the bottle neck.

> i feel like you've normalized a crummy experience that is the fault of
> management and the store's culture and not a fault with regular checkout.

nothing beats self checkout.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::