From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: All
Subject: self checkouts again
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 08:58:37 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: MRO - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 14:58 UTC

okay you guys that claim you only use self checkouts because you are saving jobs are liars. you dont shop. your wife does.

i've been using regular checkout lanes for the past 2 weeks. it's been pure hell. it's 10x longer literally. even if there's no line. the people are usually stupid and there's some weird problem.

today she voided his bananas wrong. then she gets another guy over. he doesnt know what to do. Then she gets a younger kid mgr who knows her shit. she fixes it.

They still stand around for serveral mins talking about it but not checking the guy out or me out. and i say, should i go to the other lane or stay here? and she says she doesn't know. the problem is fixed! she's just not working. so me and this dude had to sit there for a long time while they talked. and then i went ot the other lane and waited. even more time to get out.

with self checkout it's a 2 min thing.

Is there something in the water or food that's making people so stupid?
maybe the human race is being slowly poisoned.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

self checkouts again

<658CA7F5.26333.dove-general@final-zone.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2573&group=DOVE-Net.General#2573

From: kurisu@VERT/FINALZON (Kurisu)
To: MRO
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 16:40:53 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Kurisu - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 22:40 UTC

Re: self checkouts again
By: MRO to All on Wed Dec 27 2023 08:58 am

> with self checkout it's a 2 min thing.

All of the above in your post, but to the end result of this. Self check, for people who actually have half a clue how to use it, is such an effecient method I never want to go back to needing someone else in the process. It just seems asanine to me to go back to a regular setup unless you need some kind of special service that for whatever reason explicitly needs another person involved.
_____
xadara.com | final-zone.net

---
■ Synchronet ■ final-zone.net

self checkouts again

<658CA84B.3541.dv-dove-gen@shodanscore.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2575&group=DOVE-Net.General#2575

From: android8675@VERT/SHODAN (Android8675)
To: MRO
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 14:42:19 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Android8675 - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 22:42 UTC

> Is there something in the water or food that's making people so stupid?
> maybe the human race is being slowly poisoned.

Not paying a living wage, cutting back as much as possible on expenses
(self-checkout), "holiday blah's", serious bout of flu going around (at least
in NorCal) [and covid] and name whatever crazy thing that's not too crazy if
you think about it, and you got a recipe for a messed up shopping experience.

I live near Santa Cruz which for the last few years has been watching the
cost-of-living skyrocket due to being close to all that tech. People working
from home, can afford a place close to the beach has driven housing thru the
roof, and driven out people that have lived there the longest, you know,
renters, people that work service jobs, etc. kids aren't stepping up to take
these jobs because the pay is so horrible, so there's an employment vacuum and
as a result a ton of local businesses who've been around for decades are
closing because no one wants to buy local when Amazon is a click away and they
can't compete on pricing, obviously.

People that live comfortably are voting down low-income housing (NIMBYers)
because we can't have those kinds around, but now all the Starbucks are
closing, "Oh who will make my $7 Latte's?"

At some point either people will get the message and start treating service
(and low/middle income) people like normal people, or Tsunami and duck all of
them. (Sorry poindexter F., hope you're not too close to the beach)

---
� Synchronet � Shodan's Core @ ShodansCore.com

self checkouts again

<658D3538.12914.dove-gen@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2577&group=DOVE-Net.General#2577

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Android8675
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 02:43:36 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: MRO - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 08:43 UTC

Re: self checkouts again
By: Android8675 to MRO on Wed Dec 27 2023 02:42 pm

> > Is there something in the water or food that's making people so stupid?
> > maybe the human race is being slowly poisoned.
>
> Not paying a living wage, cutting back as much as possible on expenses
> (self-checkout), "holiday blah's", serious bout of flu going around (at
> least in NorCal) [and covid] and name whatever crazy thing that's not too
> crazy if you think about it, and you got a recipe for a messed up shopping
> experience.

it's their choice to get those low paying jobs. if you are 30+ and getting an 11 hr job when you can make more than twice that in other entry lvl jobs that is pretty sad. That being said, I did go to highschool with a guy who worked at the same store through highschool, never left and was there over 20 years. He ended up being in a managment position there and he made real good money.

> People that live comfortably are voting down low-income housing (NIMBYers)
> because we can't have those kinds around, but now all the Starbucks are
> closing, "Oh who will make my $7 Latte's?"

Well i've seen low income housing destroy areas. i've seen it personally.

> At some point either people will get the message and start treating service
> (and low/middle income) people like normal people, or Tsunami and duck all

In my area we treat people all the same. i dont look down on service people. Waiters and waitresses make good money. AND, they can lie about their tips and not pay taxes.

I come from a poor upbringing; i had a single mom. I've been in manufacturing my entire life as well.

Obviously california has its issues and maybe people need to continue to leave.
I'm hoping their problems don't carry over to other states.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

self checkouts again

<658D82B8.64782.dove-gen@capitolcityonline.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2579&group=DOVE-Net.General#2579

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: MRO
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 09:09:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Dumas Walker - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 14:09 UTC

> with self checkout it's a 2 min thing.

When they have enough of them open. Since it is self-check, I have never
figured out why our local grocery (Kroger) only has less-than half of them
open. They have 11 total, but only 5 are ever open when I am there.

The lines are as bad as the one or two regular lanes they have open, but I
still self-check.

The local Wal-Mart, OTOH, never had their self-check lanes half-closed.

* SLMR 2.1a * He knows changes aren't permanent - but change is!

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

self checkouts again

<658EC905.12921.dove-gen@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2584&group=DOVE-Net.General#2584

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 07:26:29 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: MRO - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 13:26 UTC

Re: self checkouts again
By: Dumas Walker to MRO on Thu Dec 28 2023 09:09 am

> > with self checkout it's a 2 min thing.
>
> When they have enough of them open. Since it is self-check, I have never
> figured out why our local grocery (Kroger) only has less-than half of them
> open. They have 11 total, but only 5 are ever open when I am there.

yeah same here. they have people standing around talking but they
won't put someone on the other section for self checkout. they only
run one side.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::