Those of you who think you know everything are annoying those of us who do.

dovenet / General / Re: book: upgrade by blak

SubjectAuthor
* book: upgrade by blake crouchOgg
+* book: upgrade by blake crouchMRO
|+- book: upgrade by blake crouchGamgee
|`* book: upgrade by blake crouchOgg
| +* book: upgrade by blake crouchMRO
| |`* book: upgrade by blake crouchGamgee
| | `- book: upgrade by blakDr. What
| `* book: upgrade by blake crouchpoindexter FORTRAN
|  +- book: upgrade by blake crouchOgg
|  `* book: upgrade by blake crouchHusTler
|   `* book: upgrade by blake crouchpoindexter FORTRAN
|    +* book: upgrade by blake crouchPhigan
|    |`- book: upgrade by blake crouchMargaerynne
|    `* book: upgrade by blake crouchHusTler
|     `* book: upgrade by blake crouchpoindexter FORTRAN
|      `* book: upgrade by blake crouchArelor
|       `* book: upgrade by blakDr. What
|        +* book: upgrade by blakGamgee
|        |`* book: upgrade by blakNightfox
|        | +- book: upgrade by blakGamgee
|        | `* book: upgrade by blakHustler
|        |  `* book: upgrade by blakOgg
|        |   +* book: upgrade by blakHustler
|        |   |`- book: upgrade by blakcandycane
|        |   `* book: upgrade by blakDumas Walker
|        |    +* book: upgrade by blakNightfox
|        |    |+* book: upgrade by blakcandycane
|        |    ||`- book: upgrade by blakpoindexter FORTRAN
|        |    |`* book: upgrade by blakDumas Walker
|        |    | `* book: upgrade by blakcandycane
|        |    |  `- book: upgrade by blakDumas Walker
|        |    `* book: upgrade by blakMRO
|        |     +- book: upgrade by blakcandycane
|        |     `- book: upgrade by blakDumas Walker
|        +- book: upgrade by blakFeoh
|        `- book: upgrade by blakFeoh
+- book: upgrade by blake crouchpoindexter FORTRAN
`- book: upgrade by blake crouchPhigan

Pages:12
book: upgrade by blak

<64C92798.24942.dove-net2001@conchaos.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1708&group=DOVE-Net.General#1708

From: candycane@VERT/CONCHAOS (candycane)
To: Hustler
Subject: book: upgrade by blak
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 11:41:12 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: candycane - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 15:41 UTC

Re: book: upgrade by blak
By: Hustler to Ogg on Tue Aug 01 2023 05:47 am

>> If you could do it all over again, what would you do now? ;)

Hu> I'd change my major to computer science instead of criminal justice. ;-)

Ooooo cool, so are you like a lawyer?

candycane

===
user is generated from /dev/urandom

....TACT: The ability to make guests feel at home when you wish that they were
---
■ Synchronet ■ -=[ ConstructiveChaos BBS | conchaos.synchro.net ]=-

book: upgrade by blak

<64C91904.63815.dove-gen@capitolcityonline.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1711&group=DOVE-Net.General#1711

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: OGG
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 09:15:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Dumas Walker - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 14:15 UTC

> You said it yourself that highlighting was a bonus feature in a
> used textbook. So, you could have marketed your used books the
> same way! :D

My recollection, which might be wrong, was that the places that bought used
books from the students would not pay as much for ones that had been
highlighted, marked up, etc.

What got me was when I had to buy a real expensive book new only to find
out at the end of the term that the prof figured out it was not a good book
to use, changed back to their previous semester's book, and there was no
way to resell it.

I had that happen in an Accounting class. We were supposedly going to be
able to use it for the next class (Accounting II). That turned out false,
I could not resell the book, and wound up donating it to the library since
it was not a book I wanted to keep.

I kept my Astronomy and Geography textbooks.

* SLMR 2.1a * If you believe in telekinesis, please raise my hand.

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

book: upgrade by blak

<64C9660E.69466.dove_dove-gen@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1718&group=DOVE-Net.General#1718

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 13:07:42 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Nightfox - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 20:07 UTC

Re: book: upgrade by blak
By: Dumas Walker to OGG on Tue Aug 01 2023 09:15 am

DW> What got me was when I had to buy a real expensive book new only to find
DW> out at the end of the term that the prof figured out it was not a good
DW> book to use, changed back to their previous semester's book, and there was
DW> no way to resell it.

DW> I had that happen in an Accounting class. We were supposedly going to be
DW> able to use it for the next class (Accounting II). That turned out false,
DW> I could not resell the book, and wound up donating it to the library since
DW> it was not a book I wanted to keep.

DW> I kept my Astronomy and Geography textbooks.

I feel like there should be a way for college students to borrow their textbooks rather than buy them, and perhaps that would be less expensive. Most of the time, students don't need to keep the textbooks (though it would be good to still have the option to buy them).

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

book: upgrade by blak

<64C99964.24954.dove-net2001@conchaos.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1719&group=DOVE-Net.General#1719

From: candycane@VERT/CONCHAOS (candycane)
To: Nightfox
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 19:46:44 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: candycane - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 23:46 UTC

Re: book: upgrade by blak
By: Nightfox to Dumas Walker on Tue Aug 01 2023 01:07 pm

Ni> Re: book: upgrade by blak
Ni> By: Dumas Walker to OGG on Tue Aug 01 2023 09:15 am

DW>> What got me was when I had to buy a real expensive book new only to
DW>> find out at the end of the term that the prof figured out it was not
DW>> a good book to use, changed back to their previous semester's book,
DW>> and there was no way to resell it.

DW>> I had that happen in an Accounting class. We were supposedly going
DW>> to be able to use it for the next class (Accounting II). That
DW>> turned out false, I could not resell the book, and wound up donating
DW>> it to the library since it was not a book I wanted to keep.

DW>> I kept my Astronomy and Geography textbooks.

Ni> I feel like there should be a way for college students to borrow their
Ni> textbooks rather than buy them, and perhaps that would be less expensive.
Ni> Most of the time, students don't need to keep the textbooks (though it
Ni> would be good to still have the option to buy them).

Ni> Nightfox

Ni> ---
Ni> ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

I heard somewhere that some colleges release new versions each year to force new purchaces by changing page numbers

candycane

===
user is generated from /dev/urandom

....Racial prejudice is a pigment of the imagination.
---
■ Synchronet ■ -=[ ConstructiveChaos BBS | conchaos.synchro.net ]=-

book: upgrade by blak

<64C9FA3E.12108.dove-gen@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1722&group=DOVE-Net.General#1722

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 01:39:58 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: MRO - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 06:39 UTC

Re: book: upgrade by blak
By: Dumas Walker to OGG on Tue Aug 01 2023 09:15 am

> > You said it yourself that highlighting was a bonus feature in a
> > used textbook. So, you could have marketed your used books the
> > same way! :D
>
> My recollection, which might be wrong, was that the places that bought used
> books from the students would not pay as much for ones that had been
> highlighted, marked up, etc.
>
> What got me was when I had to buy a real expensive book new only to find
> out at the end of the term that the prof figured out it was not a good book
> to use, changed back to their previous semester's book, and there was no
> way to resell it.
>
> I had that happen in an Accounting class. We were supposedly going to be
> able to use it for the next class (Accounting II). That turned out false,
> I could not resell the book, and wound up donating it to the library since
> it was not a book I wanted to keep.
>
> I kept my Astronomy and Geography textbooks.

i bought used books for tech college. there wasnt really any mention of it being cheaper for having notes or highlights.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

book: upgrade by blak

<64CA4C9B.24959.dove-net2001@conchaos.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1727&group=DOVE-Net.General#1727

From: candycane@VERT/CONCHAOS (candycane)
To: MRO
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 08:31:23 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: candycane - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 12:31 UTC

Re: book: upgrade by blak
By: MRO to Dumas Walker on Wed Aug 02 2023 01:39 am

MR> i bought used books for tech college. there wasnt really any mention of it
MR> being cheaper for having notes or highlights.

Why would it be cheaper for notes? What if they're wrong/distracting?

candycane

===
user is generated from /dev/urandom

....I stayed in a really old hotel last night. They sent me a wake-up letter.
---
■ Synchronet ■ -=[ ConstructiveChaos BBS | conchaos.synchro.net ]=-

Re: book: upgrade by blak

<64CA61EF.54190.dove.dove-gen@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1728&group=DOVE-Net.General#1728

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: candycane
Subject: Re: book: upgrade by blak
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 06:50:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 13:50 UTC

-=> candycane wrote to Nightfox <=-

ca> I heard somewhere that some colleges release new versions each year to
ca> force new purchaces by changing page numbers

It's usually professors who write their own textbooks as a means of
additional income. I remember a physics professor who did minor upgrades
to a spiral bound "text book" complete with his own hand drawn scribbles
pretending to be diagrams. He bumped the version number and made veiled
threats to students who tried using the "old" edition.

Most of the content and page numbers were identical. We'd all had to
buy the previous edition in the fall. Bastard didn't even have the
decency to wait until the beginning of the school year to bump the
edition.

.... In total darkness, or in a very large room, very quietly
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

book: upgrade by blak

<64CA4FFB.63830.dove-gen@capitolcityonline.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1731&group=DOVE-Net.General#1731

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: NIGHTFOX
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 07:39:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Dumas Walker - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 12:39 UTC

> I feel like there should be a way for college students to borrow their textboo
> rather than buy them, and perhaps that would be less expensive. Most of the
> me, students don't need to keep the textbooks (though it would be good to stil
> have the option to buy them).

Some schools might do that, but I suspect it is a money maker for someone.
A couple of the smaller state schools here, as a way to compete with the
two largest, have started giving their students their textbooks as
"covered" by their tuition. As best as I can tell, the tuition at those
schools is still less than their larger brothers. The one thing I am not
clear on is whether or not that program is for all students, or just the
freshman class.

The way they advertise it, you get there for the semester and your books
are either already in your room, or ready for you to pick up.

* SLMR 2.1a * A Crucifix? Oy vey, have YOU got the wrong vampire...

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

book: upgrade by blak

<64CAC727.24968.dove-net2001@conchaos.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1732&group=DOVE-Net.General#1732

From: candycane@VERT/CONCHAOS (candycane)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 17:14:15 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: candycane - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 21:14 UTC

Re: book: upgrade by blak
By: Dumas Walker to NIGHTFOX on Wed Aug 02 2023 07:39 am

DW> The way they advertise it, you get there for the semester and your books
DW> are either already in your room, or ready for you to pick up.

Kinda ridiculous thats a selling point..

candycane

===
user is generated from /dev/urandom

....When Chuck Norris has surgery, the anesthesia is applied to the doctors.
---
■ Synchronet ■ -=[ ConstructiveChaos BBS | conchaos.synchro.net ]=-

book: upgrade by blak

<64CBB1DB.63846.dove-gen@capitolcityonline.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1739&group=DOVE-Net.General#1739

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: MRO
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 08:11:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Dumas Walker - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 13:11 UTC

> > My recollection, which might be wrong, was that the places that bought used
> > books from the students would not pay as much for ones that had been
> > highlighted, marked up, etc.

> i bought used books for tech college. there wasnt really any mention of it be
> g cheaper for having notes or highlights.

I agree they were not cheaper for the buying student. I think the book
stores did not pay the selling student as much for a book that was
marked up.

* SLMR 2.1a * Phone Farr: the Vulcan 900 number for phone sex

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

book: upgrade by blak

<64CBB1DB.63848.dove-gen@capitolcityonline.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1741&group=DOVE-Net.General#1741

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: CANDYCANE
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 08:14:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Dumas Walker - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 13:14 UTC

> DW> The way they advertise it, you get there for the semester and your books
> DW> are either already in your room, or ready for you to pick up.

> Kinda ridiculous thats a selling point..

In a way, it is, but for some buying the expensive books themselves vs.
knowing it is taken care of might be a tipping point as to which school they
choose.

* SLMR 2.1a * Four snack groups: frozen, crunchies, cakes and sweets.

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

Re: book: upgrade by blak

<6582B33C.2497.dove-general@bbs.decafbad.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2543&group=DOVE-Net.General#2543

From: feoh@VERT/DECAFBAD (Feoh)
To: Dr. What
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 09:26:20 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Feoh - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 09:26 UTC

Re: Re: book: upgrade by blak
By: Dr. What to Arelor on Tue Jul 18 2023 07:12 am

> quickly.

---
■ Synchronet ■ 0xDECAFBAD - bbs.decafbad.com

Re: book: upgrade by blak

<6582B400.2498.dove-general@bbs.decafbad.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2544&group=DOVE-Net.General#2544

From: feoh@VERT/DECAFBAD (Feoh)
To: Dr. What
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 09:29:36 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Feoh - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 09:29 UTC

Re: Re: book: upgrade by blak
By: Dr. What to Arelor on Tue Jul 18 2023 07:12 am

> eBook readers are wonderful if you are reading the book from cover to cover
> but as soon as you need to jump around in the book, they get cumbersome very
> quickly.

I get this, I really do.

This is a fine example of where different people's physical capabilities come into play.

Having been partially blind and fine/gross motor impaired all my life, print books have always been a struggle. You can't resize the font in a print book, and you can't do a keyword search either :)

There are all kinds of reasons why people might prefer them, and I would never try to convince them otherwise, because you need to do what works for YOU, but for me? ebooks all the way :)

The only exception is comics and graphic novels, where I still vastly prefer the printed page, in part due to the rendering of the art.

---
■ Synchronet ■ 0xDECAFBAD - bbs.decafbad.com