From: unc0nnected@VERT/BTTMLSS (unc0nnected)
To: MRO
Subject: Re: Hey folks
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 13:10:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: unc0nnected - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 13:10 UTC

MR> > MR> what?
MR> >
MR> > These things: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/h1oAAOSw63FZ8mmd/s-l1600.j
MR>
MR> oh god i never saw one of those things. funny how manufacturers were
MR> always changing and making some occasionaly stupid changes. I just had
MR> a regular p2 chip. i had a pent1, 2, and 3 that ran my bbs.

And this whole time I thought those were the 'regular' Pentium 2's :)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/64)
* Origin: The Bottomless Abyss BBS * bbs.bottomlessabyss.net

Re: Hey folks

<654832DA.12657.dove-gen@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2312&group=DOVE-Net.General#2312

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: unc0nnected
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 18:27:06 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: MRO - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 00:27 UTC

Re: Re: Hey folks
By: unc0nnected to MRO on Sun Nov 05 2023 01:10 pm

> MR> > These things:
> MR> > https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/h1oAAOSw63FZ8mmd/s-l1600.j
>
> MR> oh god i never saw one of those things. funny how manufacturers were
> MR> always changing and making some occasionaly stupid changes. I just had
> MR> a regular p2 chip. i had a pent1, 2, and 3 that ran my bbs.
>
> And this whole time I thought those were the 'regular' Pentium 2's :)

well like i said, i got that big haul of old computers from my uncle in the late 90s. they couldnt work out a single way to do things. rj11 jacks for keyboards and other stuff. parallel port adapters for serial ports for mouse, huge fans. weird plastic enclosures inside the cases. engineers were out of control.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: Hey folks

<65497EF4.54834.dove.dove-gen@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2314&group=DOVE-Net.General#2314

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: MRO
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 06:28:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 14:28 UTC

-=> MRO wrote to unc0nnected <=-

MR> well like i said, i got that big haul of old computers from my uncle in
MR> the late 90s. they couldnt work out a single way to do things. rj11
MR> jacks for keyboards and other stuff. parallel port adapters for serial
MR> ports for mouse, huge fans. weird plastic enclosures inside the cases.
MR> engineers were out of control.

AND THE CASES!

Compaq desktops with flying butresses! HPs with hidden optical drives.
CD-ROM holders built-in to the cases! The Packard Bell "Corner PC"!
Monitors with built-in speakers. Matching weird mice and keyboards!

Good times.

.... Imagine the music as a set of disconnected events
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: Hey folks

<65499C01.70125.dove_dove-gen@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2317&group=DOVE-Net.General#2317

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 18:08:01 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Nightfox - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 02:08 UTC

Re: Re: Hey folks
By: poindexter FORTRAN to MRO on Mon Nov 06 2023 06:28 am

PF> AND THE CASES!

PF> Compaq desktops with flying butresses! HPs with hidden optical drives.
PF> CD-ROM holders built-in to the cases! The Packard Bell "Corner PC"!
PF> Monitors with built-in speakers. Matching weird mice and keyboards!

I often thought the major computer manufacturers did non-standard stuff like that to encourage customers to buy accessories from them, that fit their cases & so forth.

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Re: Hey folks

<6549C9F9.12664.dove-gen@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2319&group=DOVE-Net.General#2319

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 23:24:09 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: MRO - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 05:24 UTC

Re: Re: Hey folks
By: poindexter FORTRAN to MRO on Mon Nov 06 2023 06:28 am

> -=> MRO wrote to unc0nnected <=-
>
> MR> well like i said, i got that big haul of old computers from my uncle in
> MR> the late 90s. they couldnt work out a single way to do things. rj11
> MR> jacks for keyboards and other stuff. parallel port adapters for serial
> MR> ports for mouse, huge fans. weird plastic enclosures inside the cases.
> MR> engineers were out of control.
>
> AND THE CASES!
>
> Compaq desktops with flying butresses! HPs with hidden optical drives.
> CD-ROM holders built-in to the cases! The Packard Bell "Corner PC"!
> Monitors with built-in speakers. Matching weird mice and keyboards!

oh yeah. my friend worked at a pc repair store. there was a cavity in the front that you had to shove your arm into to pull a switch to get the case to split into 2 so you could access everything.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: Hey folks

<654A4AD2.64487.dove-gen@capitolcityonline.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2325&group=DOVE-Net.General#2325

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: POINDEXTER FORTRAN
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 09:25:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.General
 by: Dumas Walker - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 14:25 UTC

> AND THE CASES!

> Compaq desktops with flying butresses! HPs with hidden optical drives.
> CD-ROM holders built-in to the cases! The Packard Bell "Corner PC"!
> Monitors with built-in speakers. Matching weird mice and keyboards!

Back in 1994 I was working for a consulting firm. We had some smaller
clients where we did some hardware work (installing modems, extra cards or
HDs, etc.). We had one client that had one of those Compaq PCs that was all
in one like an Apple, with everything built into an oversized monitor case.

Trying to get anything installed into that case was difficult. ;)

* SLMR 2.1a * litterate: (adj.) Able to write, but only writes garbage.

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP