"Money is the root of all money." -- the moving finger

dovenet / Synchronet Discussion / RA to SBBS QWK Networking...

SubjectAuthor
* RA to SBBS QWK Networking...Martin Kazmaier
`* Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networking...Dumas Walker
 +* Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networking...Digital Man
 |+* Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networking...Martin Kazmaier
 ||`* Re: RA to SBBS QWK NetworDumas Walker
 || `- Re: RA to SBBS QWK NetworMartin Kazmaier
 |`* Re: RA to SBBS QWK NetworDumas Walker
 | `- Re: RA to SBBS QWK NetworDigital Man
 `* Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networking...Martin Kazmaier
  `* Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networking...MRO
   `* Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networking...Martin Kazmaier
    +- Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networking...MRO
    `* Re: RA to SBBS QWK NetworDumas Walker
     `- Re: RA to SBBS QWK NetworMartin Kazmaier

1
RA to SBBS QWK Networking...

<65EC15A7.51421.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2295&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2295

From: martin.kazmaier@VERT (Martin Kazmaier)
To: All
Subject: RA to SBBS QWK Networking...
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 22:12:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Martin Kazmaier - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 22:12 UTC

Is anyone doing this? I've tried MKNET and SUARM, both of which send REP
packets successfully to SBBS, but neither of which can actually bring in QWK
packets. Any RA users out there connecting to SBBS via QWK? I can't use FTN
for one of my networks because 2 networks use the same zone (Araknet and
League10) and fastecho doesn't support that. IREX does, but my mail tosser
is just as important.

---
Shurato, Sysop Shurato's Heavenly Sphere (ssh, telnet, pop3, ftp,nntp)
(ports 22, 23, 110, 21, 119) (ssh: login bbs password shsbbs)

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
---
* Origin: Shurato's Heavenly Sphere telnet://shsbbs.net (1:340/1101)
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networking...

<65EC8C71.70543.sync@capcity2.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2296&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2296

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: All
Subject: Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networking...
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 11:21:05 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Dumas Walker - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 16:21 UTC

> Is anyone doing this? I've tried MKNET and SUARM, both of which send REP
> packets successfully to SBBS, but neither of which can actually bring in QWK
> packets. Any RA users out there connecting to SBBS via QWK? I can't use FTN
> for one of my networks because 2 networks use the same zone (Araknet and
> League10) and fastecho doesn't support that. IREX does, but my mail tosser
> is just as important.

To add a little info to his question, he started having issues (I think) when I
upgraded from Synchronet 3.19 to 3.20 a little over a week ago. I think he had
it working before then (he will have to confirm).

$$
---
■ Synchronet ■ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networking...

<65ECDE1A.51423.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2297&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2297

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 14:09:30 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 22:09 UTC

Re: Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networking...
By: Dumas Walker to All on Sat Mar 09 2024 11:21 am

> > Is anyone doing this? I've tried MKNET and SUARM, both of which send REP
> > packets successfully to SBBS, but neither of which can actually bring in
> > QWK packets. Any RA users out there connecting to SBBS via QWK? I can't
> > use FTN for one of my networks because 2 networks use the same zone
> > (Araknet and League10) and fastecho doesn't support that. IREX does, but
> > my mail tosser is just as important.
>
> To add a little info to his question, he started having issues (I think)
> when I upgraded from Synchronet 3.19 to 3.20 a little over a week ago. I
> think he had it working before then (he will have to confirm).

Synchronet has a lot of per-user configuration options for how QWK packets are created. I would try experimenting with them.
--
digital man (rob)

This Is Spinal Tap quote #30:
Big bottom, big bottom / Talk about mud flaps, my girl's got 'em!
Norco, CA WX: 71.1°F, 30.0% humidity, 7 mph W wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networking...

<65ED28B8.51424.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2298&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2298

From: martin.kazmaier@VERT (Martin Kazmaier)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 18:12:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Martin Kazmaier - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 18:12 UTC

DW> > Is anyone doing this? I've tried MKNET and SUARM, both of which send
DW> REP
DW> > packets successfully to SBBS, but neither of which can actually bring
DW> in QWK
DW> > packets. Any RA users out there connecting to SBBS via QWK? I can't
DW> use FTN
DW> > for one of my networks because 2 networks use the same zone (Araknet
DW> and
DW> > League10) and fastecho doesn't support that. IREX does, but my mail
DW> tosser
DW> > is just as important.

DW> To add a little info to his question, he started having issues (I think)
DW> when I upgraded from Synchronet 3.19 to 3.20 a little over a week
DW> ago. I think he had it working before then (he will have to
DW> confirm).

I'm pretty sure it was, but I'm not positive. Geri Attricks still had me on
FTN as well, so it was really hard to tell.

---
Shurato, Sysop Shurato's Heavenly Sphere (ssh, telnet, pop3, ftp,nntp)
(ports 22, 23, 110, 21, 119) (ssh: login bbs password shsbbs)

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
---
* Origin: Shurato's Heavenly Sphere telnet://shsbbs.net (1:340/1101)
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networking...

<65ED28B8.51425.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2299&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2299

From: martin.kazmaier@VERT (Martin Kazmaier)
To: Digital Man
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 18:13:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Martin Kazmaier - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 18:13 UTC

DM> Re: Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networking...
DM> By: Dumas Walker to All on Sat Mar 09 2024 11:21 am

DM> > > Is anyone doing this? I've tried MKNET and SUARM, both of which
DM> send REP
DM> > > packets successfully to SBBS, but neither of which can actually
DM> bring in
DM> > > QWK packets. Any RA users out there connecting to SBBS via QWK? I
DM> can't
DM> > > use FTN for one of my networks because 2 networks use the same zone
DM> > > (Araknet and League10) and fastecho doesn't support that. IREX
DM> does, but
DM> > > my mail tosser is just as important.

DM> > To add a little info to his question, he started having issues (I
DM> think)
DM> > when I upgraded from Synchronet 3.19 to 3.20 a little over a week ago.
DM> > think he had it working before then (he will have to confirm).

DM> Synchronet has a lot of per-user configuration options for how QWK packets
DM> are created. I would try experimenting with them. -- digital man
DM> (rob)

I've tried from not sending anything other than the messages via zip to
sending everything with no change in me receiving QWK packets.

---
Shurato, Sysop Shurato's Heavenly Sphere (ssh, telnet, pop3, ftp,nntp)
(ports 22, 23, 110, 21, 119) (ssh: login bbs password shsbbs)

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
---
* Origin: Shurato's Heavenly Sphere telnet://shsbbs.net (1:340/1101)
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networking...

<65ED6628.10142.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2300&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2300

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Martin Kazmaier
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 01:50:00 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: MRO - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 07:50 UTC

Re: Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networking...
By: Martin Kazmaier to Dumas Walker on Sat Mar 09 2024 06:12 pm

> DW> ago. I think he had it working before then (he will have to
> DW> confirm).
>
> I'm pretty sure it was, but I'm not positive. Geri Attricks still had me on
> FTN as well, so it was really hard to tell.

so why hasn't this furry guy got his problem fixed after all this time?
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networ

<65EDCAF9.70548.sync@capcity2.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2301&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2301

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: MARTIN KAZMAIER
Subject: Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networ
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 09:58:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Dumas Walker - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 14:58 UTC

> DM> Synchronet has a lot of per-user configuration options for how QWK packet
> DM> are created. I would try experimenting with them. -- digital man
> DM> (rob)

> I've tried from not sending anything other than the messages via zip to
> sending everything with no change in me receiving QWK packets.

He means you need to try playing with the QWK settings on this end. If you
log onto the bbs using your QWK account... log on via telnet and not ftp...
you will receive a prompt. If you type '?', it will display the QWK menu.

Check the (C)onfiguration options. There may be one that is set No (or Yes)
that is causing the packets to be incompatable with RA. You may have to
play with them some to get a configuration that works.

Here are the settings that work with a GT Power board, so I won't guarantee
that they work with RA but you can try them.

[A] Ctrl-A Color Codes : Expand to ANSI
[T] Archive Type : ZIP
[E] Include E-mail Messages : Un-read Only
[I] Include File Attachments : Yes
[D] Delete E-mail Automatically : Yes
[F] Include New Files List : No
[N] Include Index Files : Yes
[C] Include Control Files : Yes
[V] Include VOTING.DAT File : No
[H] Include HEADERS.DAT File : No
[Y] Include Messages from You : No
[Z] Include Time Zone (@TZ) : Yes
[P] Include Message Path (@VIA) : No
[M] Include Message/Reply IDs : No
[U] Include UTF-8 Characters : No
[X] Extended (QWKE) Packet Format: No

You may also want to check your QWK network software documentation and see if
it mentions needing/not needing Index, Control, or HEADERS.DAT files, or if
it supports QWKE (it probably does not!). Then make any changes to your
configuration settings based on what the documentation tells you (if
anything).

* SLMR 2.1a * Excuse me - but HOW do you spell EMT ????
---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networ

<65EDCAF9.70549.sync@capcity2.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2302&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2302

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: DIGITAL MAN
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 09:59:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Dumas Walker - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 14:59 UTC

> Synchronet has a lot of per-user configuration options for how QWK packets are
> reated. I would try experimenting with them.

I received an email this am from a user complaining about how the board was
acting and mentioned the time change. I thought they were mistaken.

I tried logging on just now to give Marty a little guidance on how to
"work" the QWK configuration settings. I received a "sorry time reduced...
goodbye" result for a system event that is allegedly scheduled for 05:00.

Local time is now after 09:30 and I have confirmed that the OS time (linux) is
correct.

The 05:00 event appears to be MSGMAINT. I just kicked it off manually and
that fixed it. That was after I tried restarting Synchronet and getting
the same (not good) results.

I have never had Synchronet mess itself over the time change before.
It is with 3.20 that I upgraded to just over a week ago.

* SLMR 2.1a * Ted Kennedy's Bumper Sticker: My other car is underwater.
---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networ

<65EE1E51.51430.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2303&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2303

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 13:55:45 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 20:55 UTC

Re: Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networ
By: Dumas Walker to DIGITAL MAN on Sun Mar 10 2024 09:59 am

> > Synchronet has a lot of per-user configuration options for how QWK packets
> > are
> > reated. I would try experimenting with them.
>
> I received an email this am from a user complaining about how the board was
> acting and mentioned the time change. I thought they were mistaken.

What was their complaint?

> I tried logging on just now to give Marty a little guidance on how to
> "work" the QWK configuration settings. I received a "sorry time reduced...
> goodbye" result for a system event that is allegedly scheduled for 05:00.
>
> Local time is now after 09:30 and I have confirmed that the OS time (linux)
> is correct.
>
> The 05:00 event appears to be MSGMAINT. I just kicked it off manually and
> that fixed it. That was after I tried restarting Synchronet and getting
> the same (not good) results.
>
> I have never had Synchronet mess itself over the time change before.
> It is with 3.20 that I upgraded to just over a week ago.

The log output from the terminal server would be helpful to know more about
what happened.
--
digital man (rob)

Steven Wright quote #7:
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
Norco, CA WX: 67.0°F, 34.0% humidity, 8 mph WNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networ

<65EE32F5.51431.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2304&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2304

From: martin.kazmaier@VERT (Martin Kazmaier)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 13:35:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Martin Kazmaier - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 13:35 UTC

DW>> DM> Synchronet has a lot of per-user configuration options for how QWK
DW> packet
DW>> DM> are created. I would try experimenting with them. -- digital man
DW>> DM> (rob)

DW>> I've tried from not sending anything other than the messages via zip to
DW>> sending everything with no change in me receiving QWK packets.

DW> He means you need to try playing with the QWK settings on this end. If
DW> you log onto the bbs using your QWK account... log on via telnet
DW> and not ftp... you will receive a prompt. If you type '?', it will
DW> display the QWK menu.

That's what I meant too.

DW> Check the (C)onfiguration options. There may be one that is set No (or
DW> Yes) that is causing the packets to be incompatable with RA. You may
DW> have to play with them some to get a configuration that works.

I've went from nothing on to everything on as well as trying just some of
them, but I haven't found the right configuration yet. I'm hoping an RA
sysop could help.

DW> Here are the settings that work with a GT Power board, so I won't
DW> guarantee that they work with RA but you can try them.

DW> [A] Ctrl-A Color Codes : Expand to ANSI [T] Archive Type
DW> : ZIP [E] Include E-mail Messages : Un-read Only [I]
DW> Include File Attachments : Yes [D] Delete E-mail Automatically
DW> : Yes [F] Include New Files List : No [N] Include Index Files : Yes
DW> [C] Include Control Files : Yes [V] Include VOTING.DAT
DW> File : No [H] Include HEADERS.DAT File : No [Y] Include
DW> Messages from You : No [Z] Include Time Zone (@TZ) : Yes [P]
DW> Include Message Path (@VIA) : No [M] Include Message/Reply
DW> IDs : No [U] Include UTF-8 Characters : No [X] Extended (QWKE)
DW> Packet Format: No

I'll try that, thanks.

DW> You may also want to check your QWK network software documentation and see
DW> if it mentions needing/not needing Index, Control, or HEADERS.DAT
DW> files, or if it supports QWKE (it probably does not!). Then make
DW> any changes to your configuration settings based on what the
DW> documentation tells you (if anything).

The documentation just says how to set up the configuration for the software,
nothing about receiving or sending packets, just that it should work.

---
Shurato, Sysop Shurato's Heavenly Sphere (ssh, telnet, pop3, ftp,nntp)
(ports 22, 23, 110, 21, 119) (ssh: login bbs password shsbbs)

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
---
* Origin: Shurato's Heavenly Sphere telnet://shsbbs.net (1:340/1101)
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networking...

<65EE32F5.51432.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2305&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2305

From: martin.kazmaier@VERT (Martin Kazmaier)
To: MRO
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 13:37:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Martin Kazmaier - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 13:37 UTC

MR> Re: Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networking...
MR> By: Martin Kazmaier to Dumas Walker on Sat Mar 09 2024 06:12 pm

MR> > DW> ago. I think he had it working before then (he will have to
MR> > DW> confirm).

MR> > I'm pretty sure it was, but I'm not positive. Geri Attricks still had
MR> me on
MR> > FTN as well, so it was really hard to tell.

MR> so why hasn't this furry guy got his problem fixed after all this time?

I don't know. He needs to buy his own modem as far as I can tell...

---
Shurato, Sysop Shurato's Heavenly Sphere (ssh, telnet, pop3, ftp,nntp)
(ports 22, 23, 110, 21, 119) (ssh: login bbs password shsbbs)

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
---
* Origin: Shurato's Heavenly Sphere telnet://shsbbs.net (1:340/1101)
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networking...

<65EE42FA.10148.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2306&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2306

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Martin Kazmaier
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 18:32:10 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: MRO - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 23:32 UTC

Re: Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networking...
By: Martin Kazmaier to MRO on Sun Mar 10 2024 01:37 pm

> MR> > FTN as well, so it was really hard to tell.
>

> MR> so why hasn't this furry guy got his problem fixed after all this time?
>
> I don't know. He needs to buy his own modem as far as I can tell...

this has been a few months, right? is this not a priority for him?
i'm sure some of us have some modems we could send him. my only concern is he wouldn't bother using them. I have a few sitting in my basement in a tub.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networ

<65EF0819.70555.sync@capcity2.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2307&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2307

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: MARTIN KAZMAIER
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 08:26:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Dumas Walker - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 13:26 UTC

> MR> so why hasn't this furry guy got his problem fixed after all this time?

> I don't know. He needs to buy his own modem as far as I can tell...

It sounds like you were actually able to start connecting via FTN with him
again?

Being able to connect with him still doesn't fix your issue with two networks
using the same Zone number, though.

* SLMR 2.1a * Salesmen do it with their tongues.
---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

Re: RA to SBBS QWK Networ

<65F12865.51448.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2321&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2321

From: martin.kazmaier@VERT (Martin Kazmaier)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 09:57:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Martin Kazmaier - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 09:57 UTC

* In a message originally to MARTIN KAZMAIER, Dumas Walker said:

> > MR> so why hasn't this furry guy got his problem fixed after all this
> time?

> > I don't know. He needs to buy his own modem as far as I can tell...

> It sounds like you were actually able to start connecting via FTN with him
> again?

> Being able to connect with him still doesn't fix your issue with two
> networks using the same Zone number, though.

No, he wants me to go through you for FTN sfnet. I've fixed more or less my
zone issue.

---