From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: All
Subject: File System Cleanup?
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 11:22:20 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 19:22 UTC

My file systems are a mess. What's the best/easiest way to make bulk/mass changes to files libraries? I was almost thinking that wiping out the file base directories but leaving the files, creating a files.bbs and re-importing them might be easier - but was hoping for another way.

....Am I any closer to finding what I'm looking for?
---
■ Synchronet ■ .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

File System Cleanup?

<65E24A1A.10115.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2273&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2273

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 15:35:22 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: MRO - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 21:35 UTC

Re: File System Cleanup?
By: poindexter FORTRAN to All on Fri Mar 01 2024 11:22 am

> My file systems are a mess. What's the best/easiest way to make bulk/mass
> changes to files libraries? I was almost thinking that wiping out the file
> base directories but leaving the files, creating a files.bbs and
> re-importing them might be easier - but was hoping for another way.

delete the data files and import files and descriptions with addfiles.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

File System Cleanup?

<65E26298.51400.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2275&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2275

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 15:19:52 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 23:19 UTC

Re: File System Cleanup?
By: poindexter FORTRAN to All on Fri Mar 01 2024 11:22 am

> My file systems are a mess. What's the best/easiest way to make bulk/mass
> changes to files libraries? I was almost thinking that wiping out the file
> base directories but leaving the files, creating a files.bbs and
> re-importing them might be easier - but was hoping for another way.

Create a files.bbs from what source? If you would just be sourcing the descrioption from the DIZs, you don't need the files.bbs step.
--
digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #84:
Telix = Commercial MS-DOS and Windows communications/terminal program
Norco, CA WX: 62.6°F, 51.0% humidity, 2 mph SSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: File System Cleanup?

<65E358B7.67549.dove.sync@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2277&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2277

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Digital Man
Subject: Re: File System Cleanup?
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 07:57:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 15:57 UTC

-=> Digital Man wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

DM> Create a files.bbs from what source? If you would just be sourcing the
DM> descrioption from the DIZs, you don't need the files.bbs step. --

I was thinking of creating a files.bbs file from the existing file
listing, then cleaning it up, adding entries where needed... A lot of
the messy listings are zines where I wouldn't need the .DIZ file to name
the listing. Interesting idea, though. I'm assuming that using the -z
option would read a DIZ file and read it into the file listing?

.... Walk without rhythm and you won't attact the worm.
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: File System Cleanup?

<65E36BCE.10120.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2278&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2278

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 12:11:26 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: MRO - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 18:11 UTC

Re: Re: File System Cleanup?
By: poindexter FORTRAN to Digital Man on Sat Mar 02 2024 07:57 am

> -=> Digital Man wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-
>
> DM> Create a files.bbs from what source? If you would just be sourcing the
> DM> descrioption from the DIZs, you don't need the files.bbs step. --
>
> I was thinking of creating a files.bbs file from the existing file
> listing, then cleaning it up, adding entries where needed... A lot of
> the messy listings are zines where I wouldn't need the .DIZ file to name
> the listing. Interesting idea, though. I'm assuming that using the -z
> option would read a DIZ file and read it into the file listing?

https://wiki.synchro.net/module:addfiles
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: File System Cleanup?

<65E39773.51404.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2279&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2279

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 13:17:39 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 21:17 UTC

Re: Re: File System Cleanup?
By: poindexter FORTRAN to Digital Man on Sat Mar 02 2024 07:57 am

> -=> Digital Man wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-
>
> DM> Create a files.bbs from what source? If you would just be sourcing the
> DM> descrioption from the DIZs, you don't need the files.bbs step. --
>
> I was thinking of creating a files.bbs file from the existing file
> listing, then cleaning it up, adding entries where needed... A lot of
> the messy listings are zines where I wouldn't need the .DIZ file to name
> the listing. Interesting idea, though. I'm assuming that using the -z
> option would read a DIZ file and read it into the file listing?

In sbbs v3.19+, addfiles.js replaces addfiles. It has '-diz' option that forces it to always uses the DIZ description, even if a description was provided in the list file:
https://wiki.synchro.net/module:addfiles
--
digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #82:
TCP = Transmission Control Protocol
Norco, CA WX: 57.1°F, 80.0% humidity, 5 mph SW wind, 0.04 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net