From: justmike@VERT/COCONET (Justmike)
To: all
Subject: Synchronet bot?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 17:28:26 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Justmike - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 22:28 UTC

I have a BBS setup that I eventually will advertise and be for the public to
logon to. For now, I am still learning how to set it up and make the menus how
I want them to look and add pretty graphics etc. At the same time I am testingdifffernt terminal programs on the board for look and feel along with up and
downloads.

Twice now I have had failed attempts at a file transfer and then all of a
sudden the Synchronet Bot appears. My sysop login is JustMike, and I get a
message saying

"You're fascinating Justmike", then "you can
't be Justmike, I just spoke with him", Synchronet is relatively young, and
already a force to be reckoned with", "You are the one and only Justmike!!!",
"You must feel very lucky to call up a board that uses such superior
software.", "synchronet is the best. Forget the rest."

these are the responses from my chat with a bot. Where is this coming from? Iwas laughing,but still curious how I got to that mode. This only happens aftera botched file transfer.

---
■ Synchronet ■ CoCoNet BBS

Synchronet bot?

<65DCDC1A.10099.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2255&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2255

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Justmike
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 12:44:42 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: MRO - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 18:44 UTC

Re: Synchronet bot?
By: Justmike to all on Mon Feb 26 2024 05:28 pm

> "You're fascinating Justmike", then "you can
> 't be Justmike, I just spoke with him", Synchronet is relatively young, and
> already a force to be reckoned with", "You are the one and only
> Justmike!!!", "You must feel very lucky to call up a board that uses such
> superior software.", "synchronet is the best. Forget the rest."
>
> these are the responses from my chat with a bot. Where is this coming from?
> Iwas laughing,but still curious how I got to that mode. This only happens
> aftera botched file transfer.

i think because your xfers are being canceled it's shitting out characters and you are going into the chat bot.

anyways , what client are you using to transfer files.
also post your xfer protocol config in synchronet
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Synchronet bot?

<65DCF1CC.1203.dove-syncdisc@kk4qbn.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2256&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2256

From: kk4qbn@VERT/KK4QBN (kk4qbn)
To: Justmike
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 15:17:16 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: kk4qbn - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 20:17 UTC

Re: Synchronet bot?
By: Justmike to all on Mon Feb 26 2024 05:28 pm

Ju> these are the responses from my chat with a bot. Where is this coming
Ju> from? Iwas laughing,but still curious how I got to that mode. This only
Ju> happens aftera botched file transfer.

you pretty much just said it yourself, for some reason your bbs is timing out before you start sending a file, or in the middle of it, sounds as if you are uploading, or trying to, and something happens, the bbs times out and is sitting there. and your terminal is still sending the file which is throwing stray ascii at the bbs which just happened to put you into chat mode. were you getting weird characters on the screen as this happened? Only thing I could think would do somethink like that. sounds like maybe you chose told the bbs to recieve an upload via z modem, and then send in X modem or something to that extent.. what terminal software are you using? I would suggest syncterm.

---
■ Synchronet ■ KK4QBN BBS - kk4qbn.synchro.net - Chatsworth, GA USA

Re: Synchronet bot?

<20240226143745.66ebacef@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2257&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2257

From: nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS (nelgin)
To: Justmike
Subject: Re: Synchronet bot?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 14:37:45 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: nelgin - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 20:37 UTC

On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 17:28:26 -0500
"Justmike" (VERT/COCONET) <VERT/COCONET!Justmike@endofthelinebbs.com>
wrote:
> I have a BBS setup that I eventually will advertise and be for the
> public to logon to. For now, I am still learning how to set it up and
> make the menus how I want them to look and add pretty graphics etc.
> At the same time I am testingdifffernt terminal programs on the board
> for look and feel along with up and downloads.
>
> Twice now I have had failed attempts at a file transfer and then all
> of a sudden the Synchronet Bot appears. My sysop login is JustMike,
> and I get a message saying
>
> "You're fascinating Justmike", then "you can
> 't be Justmike, I just spoke with him", Synchronet is relatively
> young, and already a force to be reckoned with", "You are the one and
> only Justmike!!!", "You must feel very lucky to call up a board that
> uses such superior software.", "synchronet is the best. Forget the
> rest."
>
> these are the responses from my chat with a bot. Where is this
> coming from? Iwas laughing,but still curious how I got to that mode.
> This only happens aftera botched file transfer.
>
> ---
> � Synchronet � CoCoNet BBS
Maybe the transfer is breaking, for some reason, and the commands to
get to chat and start the guru are being sent.
Of course, without actually telling us what version you're running or
which terminal it happened with or which protocol and what type of file
you're uploading, nobody is really going to be able to help you.
--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Synchronet bot?

<65DD31A2.326.dove-syncdisc@74.65.39.90>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2264&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2264

From: justmike@VERT/COCONET (Justmike)
To: MRO
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 00:49:38 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Justmike - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 05:49 UTC

Re: Synchronet bot?
By: MRO to Justmike on Mon Feb 26 2024 12:44 pm

> Re: Synchronet bot?
> By: Justmike to all on Mon Feb 26 2024 05:28 pm
>
> > "You're fascinating Justmike", then "you can
> > 't be Justmike, I just spoke with him", Synchronet is relatively young, a > > already a force to be reckoned with", "You are the one and only
> > Justmike!!!", "You must feel very lucky to call up a board that uses such > > superior software.", "synchronet is the best. Forget the rest."
>
> > these are the responses from my chat with a bot. Where is this coming fr > > Iwas laughing,but still curious how I got to that mode. This only happen > > aftera botched file transfer.
>

> i think because your xfers are being canceled it's shitting out characters a > you are going into the chat bot.
>
> anyways , what client are you using to transfer files.
> also post your xfer protocol config in synchronet

I am using an old Tandy Color Computer 3 using NetMate. I am testing NetMate'sfile transfer capabilities
as it is currently being developed. I am using
xmodem-original and xmodem 1k / crc. I think I was more curious as to where
the chatbot was coming from. I don't remember seeing that. again I am really
new, and although I am running the BBS, I have installed it and have done very
little in the way of customizing it. I'm still learning.
coconet.ddsn.net:6809 . I'm pretty happy I have Synchronet setup with a
customized title screen and have dovenet working.

---
■ Synchronet ■ CoCoNet BBS