From: fusion@VERT/CFBBS (fusion)
To: MRO
Subject: Re: irc scanner
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 11:52:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: fusion - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 11:52 UTC

On 28 Dec 2023, MRO said the following...
MR> > So, I heard Usenet is in danger of being shut down? (though nothing to
MR> > said claim), so maybe data like this could be useful in some future
MR> > situation where usage statistics might sway some Internet God's decisio
MR> > about something?
MR> They say usenet is going to be shut down like every 5-10 years though.
MR> it looks like usenet usage is increasing every year in regards to
MR> binaries. ---

usenet isn't centralized like that though..

you could set up a server and take the place of aioe (RIP..) and be just as much "usenet" as anyone else ever was.

it would probably be significantly easier if you were text-only like almost all the free servers usually are, and could prove you're competent at keeping spam out of the wider network but ;)

* Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi

Re: irc scanner

<658ECA4D.1665.dove-int@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=226&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#226

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: fusion
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 07:31:57 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: MRO - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 13:31 UTC

Re: Re: irc scanner
By: fusion to MRO on Thu Dec 28 2023 11:52 am

> MR> > future situation where usage statistics might sway some Internet
> MR> > God's decisio about something?
> MR> They say usenet is going to be shut down like every 5-10 years though.
> MR> it looks like usenet usage is increasing every year in regards to
> MR> binaries. ---
>
> usenet isn't centralized like that though..

well the big ones can close down. that's happened already. I really don't mind if usenet takes a dive and becomes more obscure than bbsing.
it might be good for the binary people anyways.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::