From: nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS (nelgin)
To: All
Subject: Re: Moving SBBS logging o
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 18:06:03 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: nelgin - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 00:06 UTC

On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 15:00:00 -0600
"Gamgee" (VERT/PALANTIR) <VERT/PALANTIR!Gamgee@endofthelinebbs.com>
wrote:

> DW> Sounds like maybe Slackware Linux, or at least the version you
> DW> are running, has not switched over to systemd? That happened a
> DW> few debian versions ago.
>
> Yes, Slackware does not, and likely never will, use systemd. That's
> a Good Thing in my opinion. :-)

I hated systemd to start with, however having used it for a while now,
I have found it's extremely powerful.

For example:

I am now running each part of sbbs separately, term, services, mail,
webserver and ftp. Each has their own startup script such as

sbbs-ftp.service, sbbs-term.service and they are controlled as a group
by sbbs.service

So I can start and stop each individually or as a group.

I do a similar thing with sexpots. I have 4 lines and each one runs via
an independent systemd file, but can be controlled as a group.

It's easy to run sbbs as a separate user, and set parameters for the
environment that it'll run in.
--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: Moving SBBS logging o

<65D24F1B.49172.dove-syncdisc@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2203&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2203

From: gamgee@VERT/PALANTIR (Gamgee)
To: nelgin
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 12:39:00 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Gamgee - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 18:39 UTC

-=> nelgin wrote to All <=-

> DW> Sounds like maybe Slackware Linux, or at least the version you
> DW> are running, has not switched over to systemd? That happened a
> DW> few debian versions ago.

> Yes, Slackware does not, and likely never will, use systemd. That's
> a Good Thing in my opinion. :-)

ne> I hated systemd to start with, however having used it for a while
ne> now, I have found it's extremely powerful.

ne> For example:

ne> I am now running each part of sbbs separately, term, services,
ne> mail, webserver and ftp. Each has their own startup script such
ne> as

ne> sbbs-ftp.service, sbbs-term.service and they are controlled as a
ne> group by sbbs.service

ne> So I can start and stop each individually or as a group.

ne> I do a similar thing with sexpots. I have 4 lines and each one
ne> runs via an independent systemd file, but can be controlled as a
ne> group.

ne> It's easy to run sbbs as a separate user, and set parameters for
ne> the environment that it'll run in.

While it "may" make some things more convenient, any of that stuff can
be done the "old fashioned way" with scripts, probably in /etc/rc.d ,
and passing of command-line parameters (like start|stop|restart).

.... She kept saying I didn't listen to her, or something like that.
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
� Synchronet � Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL