From: vela025@VERT (vela025)
To: All
Subject: Setting a default terminal type for a specific port
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 05:31:26 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: vela025 - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 13:31 UTC

Thanks to the help from nelgin@EOTLBBS I now have a pretty well functioning BBS
that supports Acorn BBC Mode 7 (teletext/viewdata). With my current BBS (OBBS
from 1984) the user selects if they would like BBC mode 7 support/vt100 or ANSI
at the start of their session. I'd like to set up SBBS so that connections
coming in on port 6502 default to the terminal settings that allow BBC Mode 7
graphics to show and connections coming in on port *TBD* default to ANSI with
vt100 fallback. Or have everything on 6502 but in the same way as my current
BBS disable auto detection and have the user select their terminal type each
session from 3 different profiles. Is this possible? I've scoured the
different files and cannot find one containing the default terminal settings or
how to disable auto terminal detection. I did try using the PETSCII port as
6502 and changing the .asc files I've used for BBC Mode 7 to .seq but this
corrupts them.
Any help or ideas on how to achieve this, or achieve this in a different way
welcome!

---
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Setting a default terminal type for a specific port

<65CD14A8.51281.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2161&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2161

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: vela025
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 11:29:44 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 19:29 UTC

Re: Setting a default terminal type for a specific port
By: vela025 to All on Wed Feb 14 2024 05:31 am

> Thanks to the help from nelgin@EOTLBBS I now have a pretty well functioning
> BBS that supports Acorn BBC Mode 7 (teletext/viewdata). With my current BBS
> (OBBS from 1984) the user selects if they would like BBC mode 7
> support/vt100 or ANSI at the start of their session. I'd like to set up SBBS
> so that connections coming in on port 6502 default to the terminal settings
> that allow BBC Mode 7 graphics to show and connections coming in on port
> *TBD* default to ANSI with vt100 fallback. Or have everything on 6502 but in
> the same way as my current BBS disable auto detection and have the user
> select their terminal type each session from 3 different profiles. Is this
> possible? I've scoured the different files and cannot find one containing
> the default terminal settings or how to disable auto terminal detection. I
> did try using the PETSCII port as 6502 and changing the .asc files I've used
> for BBC Mode 7 to .seq but this corrupts them.
> Any help or ideas on how to achieve this, or achieve this in a different way
> welcome!

You could check the server port in your login.js and take a different control path based on that.

What would you need to disable auto terminal detection?

The answer.* file is displayed before login.js is executed, so you might want your answer.asc a blank/0-byte file (your answer.ans could contain ANSI since it'll only be displayehd to ANSI-detected terminals).
--
digital man (rob)

Breaking Bad quote #40:
This Bogdan character... he wrestled you into submission with his eyebrows.
Norco, CA WX: 59.2°F, 63.0% humidity, 0 mph S wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Setting a default terminal type for a specific port

<65CD2B1F.51283.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2163&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2163

From: vela025@VERT (vela025)
To: Digital Man
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 13:05:35 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: vela025 - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 21:05 UTC

Thanks for the reply digital man.

>The answer.* file is displayed before login.js is executed, so you might want
your answer.asc a blank/0-byte file (your >answer.ans could contain ANSI since
it'll only be displayehd to ANSI-detected terminals).

I did try something similar to this previously, however if a person logs on
with their BBC Micro (and a Mode 7 .asc file has been created) as they haven't
got to the logon prompt where it loads up their terminal preferences it just
shows them the un-formatted file.

>You could check the server port in your login.js and take a different control
path based on that.

This sound like what I'd like to do, ideally I'd like when they login on port
6502 it sets their formatting as extended ascii on and utf8 and ansi off...but
I'm at a loss on how to do that.

---
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Setting a default terminal type for a specific port

<65CD34A4.51284.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2164&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2164

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: vela025
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 13:46:12 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 21:46 UTC

Re: Setting a default terminal type for a specific port
By: vela025 to Digital Man on Wed Feb 14 2024 01:05 pm

> Thanks for the reply digital man.
>
> >The answer.* file is displayed before login.js is executed, so you might
> want your answer.asc a blank/0-byte file (your >answer.ans could contain
> ANSI since it'll only be displayehd to ANSI-detected terminals).
>
> I did try something similar to this previously, however if a person logs on
> with their BBC Micro (and a Mode 7 .asc file has been created) as they
> haven't got to the logon prompt where it loads up their terminal preferences
> it just shows them the un-formatted file.

I'm suggesting a blank/0-byte answer.asc file. Have your login.js file display something to these non-ANSI users if you like, but don't make it an answer.* file.

> >You could check the server port in your login.js and take a different
> control path based on that.
>
> This sound like what I'd like to do, ideally I'd like when they login on
> port 6502 it sets their formatting as extended ascii on and utf8 and ansi
> off...but I'm at a loss on how to do that.

Something like this in your exec/login.js:

if(client.socket.local_port == 6502) {
console.autoterm = 0;
console.printfile("somefile");
// etc.
} --
digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #32:
FREQ = File Request
Norco, CA WX: 61.1°F, 56.0% humidity, 6 mph WNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Setting a default terminal type for a specific port

<65CD3FE9.51286.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2166&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2166

From: vela025@VERT (vela025)
To: Digital Man
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 14:34:17 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: vela025 - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 22:34 UTC

>Something like this in your exec/login.js:

Ahh OK I think that might be something I could manage, thank you.

I'm currently playing with msglist.js so that it presents nicely in mode 7,
however this breaks the ANSI version...could I have two versions of msglist.js
(e.g. msglist.js and msglist7.js) and use a similar logic to above to direct
the user to the correct version? Or would it be best to instead have an extra
menu entry for the adapted msglist.js from the main menu?

---
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Setting a default terminal type for a specific port

<65CD4F70.51292.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2169&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#2169

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: vela025
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 15:40:32 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 23:40 UTC

Re: Setting a default terminal type for a specific port
By: vela025 to Digital Man on Wed Feb 14 2024 02:34 pm

> >Something like this in your exec/login.js:
>
> Ahh OK I think that might be something I could manage, thank you.
>
> I'm currently playing with msglist.js so that it presents nicely in mode 7,
> however this breaks the ANSI version...could I have two versions of
> msglist.js (e.g. msglist.js and msglist7.js) and use a similar logic to
> above to direct the user to the correct version? Or would it be best to
> instead have an extra menu entry for the adapted msglist.js from the main
> menu?

It'd be better if you didn't have to break the ANSI "version". Anyway, your msglist.js could detect a "mode 7" terminal somehow and then run msglist7.js (nested). But that's certainly not an ideal design.
--
digital man (rob)

Rush quote #3:
The men who hold high places must be the ones who start... Closer to the Heart
Norco, CA WX: 65.9°F, 47.0% humidity, 2 mph SW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net