From: mark.i@VERT (Mark i)
To: Digtal Man
Subject: FTP for QWK packets
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 01:26:34 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Mark i - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 09:26 UTC

Hello. My one BBS is running Wildcat 5. I carry dovenet on that BBS. When I try
to logon through FTP to download my vert.qwk packet the file size says 0 bytes.
How can I download my qwk packets through FTP. I know synchronet uses qnet-ftp
I tried to write a script through windows FTP and also used winscp to try and
neither work. I am loging on with my QWK ID and password.

Thanks
mark

---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

FTP for QWK packets

<63F28549.49073.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=194&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#194

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Mark i
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 05:23:37 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 13:23 UTC

Re: FTP for QWK packets
By: Mark i to Digtal Man on Sun Feb 19 2023 08:26 am

> Hello. My one BBS is running Wildcat 5. I carry dovenet on that BBS. When I
> try to logon through FTP to download my vert.qwk packet the file size says 0
> bytes. How can I download my qwk packets through FTP. I know synchronet uses
> qnet-ftp I tried to write a script through windows FTP and also used winscp
> to try and neither work. I am loging on with my QWK ID and password.

The correct path/file to download would be "/VERT.qwk".

Looking at my FTP server log, I see TRUCKSTO has been trying download/incorrect different file paths/names:

023-02-19T08:15:18.638944-08:00 git sbbs: ftp 0116 <TRUCKSTO> file (/Main/vert.qwk) not found for RETR command

2023-02-19T08:17:53.733933-08:00 git sbbs: ftp 0116 <TRUCKSTO> file (/trucksto.qwk) not found for RETR command

2/19 07:55:56a 2136 <TRUCKSTO> file (/VERT) not found for RETR command

You didn't mention your QWK-ID, is TRUCKSTO yours? If so, then you need to fix your script.
--
digital man (rob)

Sling Blade quote #7:
Karl: I don't reckon the Good Lord would send anybody like you to Hades.
Norco, CA WX: 68.1°F, 21.0% humidity, 1 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

FTP for QWK packets

<63F2B49D.49074.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=195&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#195

From: mark.i@VERT (Mark i)
To: Digital Man
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 08:45:33 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Mark i - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 16:45 UTC

Re: FTP for QWK packets
By: Digital Man to Mark i on Sun Feb 19 2023 12:23 pm

Hi, yes trucksto is my qwk id. I was trying a different filename since it didnt
find vert.qwk. I will try again later tonight to see if it works. When I
connect using my ftp client it puts me in the root directory. I see vert.qwk in
the root directory but it says 0 bytes. The file size never changes even after
a few days of not getting my packets.

Your FTP server is not picking up connections at 6:45pm i will keep trying

thanks
mark

---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

FTP for QWK packets

<63F2D2F2.49076.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=197&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#197

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Mark i
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:54:58 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 18:54 UTC

Re: FTP for QWK packets
By: Mark i to Digital Man on Sun Feb 19 2023 03:45 pm

> Re: FTP for QWK packets
> By: Digital Man to Mark i on Sun Feb 19 2023 12:23 pm
>
> Hi, yes trucksto is my qwk id. I was trying a different filename since it
> didnt find vert.qwk. I will try again later tonight to see if it works. When
> I connect using my ftp client it puts me in the root directory.

That's correct.

> I see vert.qwk in the root directory but it says 0 bytes.

What "says" that? The file size is actually fake since the file is generated upon request, but the fake size reported is 10K, not 0 bytes:

-r--r--r-- 1 VERT VERT 10240 Feb 19 17:52 VERT.qwk

> The file size never
> changes even after a few days of not getting my packets.

It's not supposed to. Download the file and you'll get a packet (if there are new messages). Ignore the size reported in the FTP file listing, it's not relevant.

> Your FTP server is not picking up connections at 6:45pm i will keep trying

Are you using dove.synchro.net address? If so, retrying will usually resolve
any "not picking" issues.
--
digital man (rob)

Breaking Bad quote #12:
[Walt] Looks like Keith Richards with a glass a warm milk! - Hank Schrader
Norco, CA WX: 64.4°F, 35.0% humidity, 14 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

dovenet / Synchronet Discussion / FTP for QWK packets