I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

dovenet / Synchronet Discussion / Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android

SubjectAuthor
* Interfacing with message bases from Ios or AndroidKhronos
+* Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Androidkyonshi
|+* IP issue (Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android)kyonshi
||`- IP issue (Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android)Digital Man
|`* Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or AndroidKhronos
| `- Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or AndroidDigital Man
+* Interfacing with message bases from Ios or AndroidDaiTengu
|`* Interfacing with message bases from Ios or AndroidKhronos
| +* Interfacing with message bases from Ios or AndroidDaiTengu
| |+* Interfacing with message bases from Ios or AndroidKhronos
| ||+* Interfacing with message bases from Ios or AndroidDigital Man
| ||`* Interfacing with message bases from Ios or AndroidDaiTengu
| || `* Interfacing with message bases from Ios or AndroidKhronos
| ||  `* Interfacing with message bases from Ios or AndroidDaiTengu
| ||   `* Interfacing with message bases from Ios or AndroidKhronos
| ||    `- Interfacing with message bases from Ios or AndroidMRO
| |`* Interfacing with message bases from Ios or AndroidCarlos Navarro
| | `* Interfacing with message bases from Ios or AndroidDaiTengu
| |  `- Interfacing with message bases from Ios or AndroidCarlos Navarro
| `- Interfacing with messageDumas Walker
`- Interfacing with message bases from Ios or AndroidDigital Man

Pages:12
Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android

<65982573.998.dove-syncdisc@kf4yey.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1886&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1886

From: khronos@VERT/CWSHACK (Khronos)
To: All
Subject: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 10:51:15 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Khronos - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 15:51 UTC

Are there any clients on either Ios or Android I can use to interface with my system?
From what I know so far some sort of qwk client might be best as I can interact with all networks on my system in a transparent way with out having to create point nodes for each of my ftn connections.
Thanks for any advice you can provide.

---
■ Synchronet ■ Cw Shack Bbs telnet kf4yey.com 2330

Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android

<un9akg$78de$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1888&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1888

From: kyonshi@VERT (kyonshi)
To: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 17:26:59 +0100
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: kyonshi - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 16:26 UTC

From Newsgroup: alt.bbs.synchronet

On 1/5/2024 4:51 PM, Khronos wrote:
> Are there any clients on either Ios or Android I can use to interface with my system?
> From what I know so far some sort of qwk client might be best as I can interact with all networks on my system in a transparent way with out having to create point nodes for each of my ftn connections.
> Thanks for any advice you can provide.
>
> ---
> � Synchronet � Cw Shack Bbs telnet kf4yey.com 2330
> --- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.114
> * Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

Hey, I might be talking out of my behind here, but I think you should be
able to access your message bases via the nntp server, so via a normal
newsgroup/usenet reader. (I have one for android called PhoNews which
more or less works)
Of course I am just trying to actually set this whole thing up on my own
BBS, and right now I am struggling with actually accessing the NNTP
server from outside. But oh well...
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.114
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

IP issue (Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android)

<un9avd$7a53$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1889&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1889

From: kyonshi@VERT (kyonshi)
To: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 17:32:47 +0100
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: kyonshi - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 16:32 UTC

From Newsgroup: alt.bbs.synchronet

On 1/5/2024 5:26 PM, kyonshi wrote:

> Of course I am just trying to actually set this whole thing up on my own
> BBS, and right now I am struggling with actually accessing the NNTP
> server from outside. But oh well...

which actually brings me to another question: why would my access to the
nntp service get refused. I have port 119 open, but I am receiving a
message that the service is being refused. I both tried over my dyndns
address (erebor.synchro.net) and directly via IP and got the message in
both cases.
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.114
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android

<659839BA.1002.dove-syncdisc@kf4yey.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1890&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1890

From: khronos@VERT/CWSHACK (Khronos)
To: kyonshi
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 12:17:46 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Khronos - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 17:17 UTC

Re: Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
By: kyonshi to alt.bbs.synchronet on Fri Jan 05 2024 17:26:59

Ok,
Lets say I setup the nntp client on my phone.
What from / reply address do I set in my client as I wouldn't want reply messages in e-mail, I'd like them to go back into the message base on my board.

---
■ Synchronet ■ Cw Shack Bbs telnet kf4yey.com 2330

Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android

<65984A6E.57922.dove-syncdisc@warensemble.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1891&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1891

From: daitengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE (DaiTengu)
To: Khronos
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 12:29:02 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: DaiTengu - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 18:29 UTC

Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
By: Khronos to All on Fri Jan 05 2024 10:51 am

Kh> Are there any clients on either Ios or Android I can use to interface with
Kh> my system? From what I know so far some sort of qwk client might be best
Kh> as I can interact with all networks on my system in a transparent way with
Kh> out having to create point nodes for each of my ftn connections.
Kh> Thanks for any advice you can provide.

I use Aftershock on Android. It functions as a point node for FTN, so it can be a little convoluted to set up. You could gate DoveNet into it using zone 723, But I really just use it for fidonet.

There's also HotDogEd, but it hasn't been updated in quite a long time, and I can't get it to work on any version of Android released in the past few years.

Beyond that, maybe see if there's an NNTP/usenet reader? That should interface with Synchronet quite nicely.

DaiTengu

....Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

---
■ Synchronet ■ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com

Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android

<659850DF.1005.dove-syncdisc@kf4yey.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1893&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1893

From: khronos@VERT/CWSHACK (Khronos)
To: DaiTengu
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 13:56:31 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Khronos - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 18:56 UTC

Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
By: DaiTengu to Khronos on Fri Jan 05 2024 12:29:02

Hi,
Lets say I created a point for my fidonet node.
If my client is connecting from anywhere in the world how do I route areafix requests back to it with out an ip or hostname to send the NetMail towards?
Also how do I send the echo list to this node?

Thanks

---
■ Synchronet ■ Cw Shack Bbs telnet kf4yey.com:2330 (1:135/205)

Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android

<65988815.51003.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1895&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1895

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Khronos
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 14:52:05 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 22:52 UTC

Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
By: Khronos to All on Fri Jan 05 2024 10:51 am

> Are there any clients on either Ios or Android I can use to interface with
> my system?

The Synchronet web server and ecWeb work great with the browsers for those devices.

If you want a terminal experience, there's these:
https://wiki.synchro.net/resource:term#mobile

> From what I know so far some sort of qwk client might be best as I can
> interact with all networks on my system in a transparent way with out having
> to create point nodes for each of my ftn connections.
> Thanks for any advice you can provide.

A mobile QWK client would be nice.
--
digital man (rob)

Sling Blade quote #16:
Karl Childers (to Doyle, re: lawn mower blade): I aim to kill you with it. Mmm.
Norco, CA WX: 63.2°F, 35.0% humidity, 7 mph WNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

IP issue (Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android)

<65988AC2.51004.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1896&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1896

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: kyonshi
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 15:03:30 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 23:03 UTC

Re: IP issue (Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android)
By: kyonshi to alt.bbs.synchronet on Fri Jan 05 2024 05:32 pm

> which actually brings me to another question: why would my access to the
> nntp service get refused. I have port 119 open, but I am receiving a
> message that the service is being refused. I both tried over my dyndns
> address (erebor.synchro.net) and directly via IP and got the message in
> both cases.

For all the normal reasons (firewall, port forwarding, service isn't actually running/listening, wrong port number, etc.).

Start by trying to connect using netcat or similar tool running on the same system that sbbs is running on.

e.g.
$ nc localhost 119
200 Vertrauen News (Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NNTP Service 1.134)

Once that works, move on to using the public IP address, public hostname, etc.
--
digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #61:
Phreak = Telephone system hack[er]
Norco, CA WX: 62.9°F, 35.0% humidity, 2 mph W wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android

<65988B04.51005.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1897&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1897

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Khronos
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 15:04:36 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 23:04 UTC

Re: Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
By: Khronos to kyonshi on Fri Jan 05 2024 12:17 pm

> Re: Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
> By: kyonshi to alt.bbs.synchronet on Fri Jan 05 2024 17:26:59
>
> Ok,
> Lets say I setup the nntp client on my phone.
> What from / reply address do I set in my client as I wouldn't want reply
> messages in e-mail, I'd like them to go back into the message base on my
> board.

That's determine by person/client that's doing the replying (not the address you use). You can make the "From / reply address" whatever you like.
--
digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #68:
SCFG = Synchronet Configuration Utility
Norco, CA WX: 62.9°F, 35.0% humidity, 2 mph W wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android

<6598F838.57935.dove-syncdisc@warensemble.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1900&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1900

From: daitengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE (DaiTengu)
To: Khronos
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 00:50:32 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: DaiTengu - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 06:50 UTC

Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
By: Khronos to DaiTengu on Fri Jan 05 2024 01:56 pm

Kh> Hi,
Kh> Lets say I created a point for my fidonet node.
Kh> If my client is connecting from anywhere in the world how do I route areafix requests back to it with out an ip or hostname to
Kh> send the NetMail towards?
Kh> Also how do I send the echo list to this node?

You don't. You set your boss to hold, and you poll for your mail from the app, like people did in the olden days.

You can either just enable your echo areas from your bossnode for your point, or you can send an areafix request via the app. Aftershock just imports whatever it receives, you don't need to set up an echo list.

HotDogEd required an echolist, which you could toss on a webserver somewhere.

DaiTengu

....Remind me never to put off until tomorrow the things I've already put off

---
■ Synchronet ■ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com

Interfacing with message

<659973D0.70136.sync@capcity2.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1902&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1902

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: KHRONOS
Subject: Interfacing with message
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 10:26:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Dumas Walker - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 15:26 UTC

> Lets say I created a point for my fidonet node.
> If my client is connecting from anywhere in the world how do I route areafix r
> uests back to it with out an ip or hostname to send the NetMail towards?
> Also how do I send the echo list to this node?

In this case you wouldn't. It would be up to the point system sysop to
poll you. That it how it works with most points... the boss/hub does not
poll them.

* SLMR 2.1a * No Purchase Required. Details in package.

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android

<65996C46.8.dove-syncdisc@kf4yey.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1903&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1903

From: khronos@VERT/CWSHACK (Khronos)
To: DaiTengu
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 10:05:42 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Khronos - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 15:05 UTC

Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
By: DaiTengu to Khronos on Sat Jan 06 2024 00:50:32

> Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
> By: Khronos to DaiTengu on Fri Jan 05 2024 01:56 pm
>
> Kh> Hi,
> Kh> Lets say I created a point for my fidonet node.
> Kh> If my client is connecting from anywhere in the world how do I route
> Kh> areafix requests back to it with out an ip or hostname to
> Kh> send the NetMail towards?
> Kh> Also how do I send the echo list to this node?
>

> You don't. You set your boss to hold, and you poll for your mail from the
> app, like people did in the olden days.

I created a linked node on my bbs for the point and in the wizard onder binkp settings I left the hostname blank.
When ever I send my point a mail message the system still does a dns lookup.
p1.f205.n135.z1.binkp.net
can not be found.

My setup looks like this:

[node:1:135/205.1@fidonet]
Name =
Comment =
Archive = None
PacketType = 2+
PacketPwd =
AreaFix = true
AreaFixPwd = password
SessionPwd = password
TicFilePwd =
Inbox =
Outbox =
Passive = false
Direct = false
Notify = false
Keys =
Status = Hold
GroupHub =
BinkpHost =
BinkpPort = 24554
BinkpPoll = false
BinkpPlainAuthOnly = false
BinkpAllowPlainAuth = false
BinkpAllowPlainText = true
BinkpTLS = false
BinkpSourceAddress =

> You can either just enable your echo areas from your bossnode for your
> point, or you can send an areafix request via the app. Aftershock just
> imports whatever it receives, you don't need to set up an echo list.

If I subscribe to all areas on my bbs this might include all fidonet areas along with fsxnet areas as well so is there a way I can limit this subscription process to fidonet areas only?

Thanks,

---
■ Synchronet ■ Cw Shack Bbs telnet kf4yey.com:2330 (1:135/205)

Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android

<659B2DEE.51012.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1904&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1904

From: carlos.navarro@VERT (Carlos Navarro)
To: DaiTengu
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 13:41:57 +0100
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Carlos Navarro - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 12:41 UTC

Hello, DaiTengu.
On 6/1/24 0:50 you wrote:

D> HotDogEd required an echolist, which you could toss on a webserver
D> somewhere.

Though convenient, it is not required. You can type the echo names, one per line, and HotdogEd will create a netmail to Areafix.

--
Carlos
--- Hotdoged/2.13.5/Android
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android

<659B32FB.51014.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1906&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1906

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Khronos
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 15:25:47 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 23:25 UTC

Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
By: Khronos to DaiTengu on Sat Jan 06 2024 10:05 am

That's a 5D address which looks different to BinkIt than the 4D address 1:135/205.1. Try removing the @fidonet (domain) from the linked node and see if you see different behavior.

> > You can either just enable your echo areas from your bossnode for your
> > point, or you can send an areafix request via the app. Aftershock just
> > imports whatever it receives, you don't need to set up an echo list.
>
> If I subscribe to all areas on my bbs this might include all fidonet areas
> along with fsxnet areas as well so is there a way I can limit this
> subscription process to fidonet areas only?

The hub/boss node can control what echoes a linked node (or point) can have access to through AreaFix/EchoList Keys
https://wiki.synchro.net/util:sbbsecho
--
digital man (rob)

Rush quote #38:
See how it sings like a sad heart, then joyously screams out its pain
Norco, CA WX: 57.0°F, 24.0% humidity, 3 mph WNW wind, 0.03 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android

<659B5DE3.14.dove-syncdisc@kf4yey.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1907&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1907

From: khronos@VERT/CWSHACK (Khronos)
To: Digital Man
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 21:28:51 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Khronos - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 02:28 UTC

Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
By: Digital Man to Khronos on Sun Jan 07 2024 15:25:47

> > I created a linked node on my bbs for the point and in the wizard onder
> > binkp settings I left the hostname blank.
> > When ever I send my point a mail message the system still does a dns
> > lookup. p1.f205.n135.z1.binkp.net
> > can not be found.
>
> > My setup looks like this:
>
> > [node:1:135/205.1@fidonet]

Hi,
I changed my setup to chop off the @fidonet and dns lookups are still occuring when sending outbound mail to find the node.

> > > You can either just enable your echo areas from your bossnode for your
> > > point, or you can send an areafix request via the app. Aftershock
> > > just imports whatever it receives, you don't need to set up an echo
> > > list.

I should be able to get this to work after I can send to user@1:135/205.1 with out any errors.

---
■ Synchronet ■ Cw Shack Bbs telnet kf4yey.com:2330 (1:135/205)

Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android

<659B61F2.51016.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1908&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1908

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Khronos
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 18:46:10 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 02:46 UTC

Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
By: Khronos to Digital Man on Sun Jan 07 2024 09:28 pm

> Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
> By: Digital Man to Khronos on Sun Jan 07 2024 15:25:47
>
> > > I created a linked node on my bbs for the point and in the wizard
> > > onder binkp settings I left the hostname blank.
> > > When ever I send my point a mail message the system still does a dns
> > > lookup. p1.f205.n135.z1.binkp.net
> > > can not be found.
>
> > > My setup looks like this:
>
> > > [node:1:135/205.1@fidonet]
>
> Hi,
> I changed my setup to chop off the @fidonet and dns lookups are still
> occuring when sending outbound mail to find the node.

If you have the BinkpHost value set for a linked node, BinkIT doesn't try to lookup the address via DNS. So for some reason, BinkIT thinks you're sending to an unlinked node for which it doesn't have the address (hostname or IP addres) set in sbbsecho.ini, so it must find it using DNS.
--
digital man (rob)

Rush quote #44:
The shifting shafts of shining weave the fabric of their dreams
Norco, CA WX: 48.7°F, 30.0% humidity, 2 mph W wind, 0.03 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android

<659C0ACC.57944.dove-syncdisc@warensemble.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1909&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1909

From: daitengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE (DaiTengu)
To: Khronos
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 08:46:36 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: DaiTengu - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 14:46 UTC

Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
By: Khronos to DaiTengu on Sat Jan 06 2024 10:05 am

Kh> I created a linked node on my bbs for the point and in the wizard onder
Kh> binkp settings I left the hostname blank. When ever I send my point a mail
Kh> message the system still does a dns lookup. p1.f205.n135.z1.binkp.net
Kh> can not be found.

You're trying to send mail to your point. That's not how this works. The point needs to fetch mail from your BBS. It will connect to your BinkIT server, much like you "dial in" to your BBS.

Kh> If I subscribe to all areas on my bbs this might include all fidonet areas
Kh> along with fsxnet areas as well so is there a way I can limit this
Kh> subscription process to fidonet areas only?

SBBSEcho should only export areas that are part of your zone/domain for the point. In order to get fsxnet messages, you'd need to add an fsxnet address to your point as well

At least, I think that's how it works. I never thought about it too much.

The message areas and their uplinks/downlinks should be in whatever your "AreaFile" is. (most likely <SBBS>/data/areas.bbs)

DaiTengu

....A self-starting oscillator won't.

---
■ Synchronet ■ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com

Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android

<659C0B3B.57945.dove-syncdisc@warensemble.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1910&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1910

From: daitengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE (DaiTengu)
To: Carlos Navarro
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 08:48:27 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: DaiTengu - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 14:48 UTC

Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
By: Carlos Navarro to DaiTengu on Sun Jan 07 2024 01:41 pm

D>> HotDogEd required an echolist, which you could toss on a webserver
D>> somewhere.

CN> Though convenient, it is not required. You can type the echo names, one
CN> per line, and HotdogEd will create a netmail to Areafix.

Maybe that was just me. It's been quite a while since I had to set up HotDogEd, since it hasn't worked on any phone I've owned in the past 2-3 years.

DaiTengu

....It is not enough to succeed. Others must fail.

---
■ Synchronet ■ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com

Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android

<659C38FF.16.dove-syncdisc@kf4yey.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1911&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1911

From: khronos@VERT/CWSHACK (Khronos)
To: Digital Man
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 13:03:43 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Khronos - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 18:03 UTC

Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
By: Digital Man to Khronos on Sun Jan 07 2024 18:46:10

Hi,
My issue here is that my node I am connecting doesn't have a static ip or hostname.
This is an Android phone that will connect from multiple location so the ip address will be unknown.
If I remove the BinkpHost and BinkpPort key words would this stop the dns lookups?

Thanks,

---
■ Synchronet ■ Cw Shack Bbs telnet kf4yey.com:2330 (1:135/205)

Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android

<659C466D.57947.dove-syncdisc@warensemble.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1912&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1912

From: daitengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE (DaiTengu)
To: Khronos
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 13:01:01 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: DaiTengu - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 19:01 UTC

Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
By: Khronos to Digital Man on Mon Jan 08 2024 01:03 pm

Kh> Hi,
Kh> My issue here is that my node I am connecting doesn't have a static ip or
Kh> hostname. This is an Android phone that will connect from multiple
Kh> location so the ip address will be unknown. If I remove the BinkpHost and
Kh> BinkpPort key words would this stop the dns lookups?

leave it blank.

The phone needs to connect to the BBS. not the other way around.

you set your point node to "hold" status. BinkIT will hold everything until the phone connects, then it will transfer the messages.

DaiTengu

....Everybody lies; but it doesn't matter much since nobody listens.

---
■ Synchronet ■ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com

Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android

<659C5352.51021.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1913&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1913

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Khronos
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 11:56:02 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 19:56 UTC

Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
By: Khronos to Digital Man on Mon Jan 08 2024 01:03 pm

> Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
> By: Digital Man to Khronos on Sun Jan 07 2024 18:46:10
>
> Hi,
> My issue here is that my node I am connecting doesn't have a static ip or
> hostname.
> This is an Android phone that will connect from multiple location so the ip
> address will be unknown.
> If I remove the BinkpHost and BinkpPort key words would this stop the dns
> lookups?

Just set that node status to "hold" in echocfg. Mail that was previously queued will still attempt to be delievered, so you'd have to delete or rename those files.
--
digital man (rob)

Sling Blade quote #2:
Karl (re: killing Doyle): I hit him two good whacks in the head with it.
Norco, CA WX: 55.7°F, 20.0% humidity, 8 mph NNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android

<659C7D5B.21.dove-syncdisc@kf4yey.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1914&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1914

From: khronos@VERT/CWSHACK (Khronos)
To: DaiTengu
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 17:55:23 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Khronos - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 22:55 UTC

Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
By: DaiTengu to Khronos on Mon Jan 08 2024 08:46:36

> You're trying to send mail to your point. That's not how this works. The
> point needs to fetch mail from your BBS. It will connect to your BinkIT
> server, much like you "dial in" to your BBS.

The only reason I was trying to send mail from my bbs to the point is to make sure that I could send / receive areafix requests and I don't think this will really work for me.
Would I have to build an echo list some how for the areas I wish to export to the point?
I have the fidonet areas devided into a group prefixed by fidonet_ in my config.

---
■ Synchronet ■ Cw Shack Bbs telnet kf4yey.com:2330 (1:135/205)

Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android

<659C966A.57950.dove-syncdisc@warensemble.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1915&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1915

From: daitengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE (DaiTengu)
To: Khronos
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 18:42:18 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: DaiTengu - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 00:42 UTC

Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
By: Khronos to DaiTengu on Mon Jan 08 2024 05:55 pm

>> You're trying to send mail to your point. That's not how this works. The
>> point needs to fetch mail from your BBS. It will connect to your BinkIT
>> server, much like you "dial in" to your BBS.

Kh> The only reason I was trying to send mail from my bbs to the point is to
Kh> make sure that I could send / receive areafix requests and I don't think
Kh> this will really work for me.
Kh> Would I have to build an echo list some how for the areas I wish to export
Kh> to the point? I have the fidonet areas devided into a group prefixed by
Kh> fidonet_ in my config.

I'm assuming you're using Aftershock.

Your settings should look something like this (these are my settings)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jq3cixkxxUFHxFWeA

Then you have 2 options. First, in Aftershock you can click "Mail" Then select "NetMail" The click the icon in the top right that looks like an envelope with a + next to it for a new message.

Fill out your areafix request, similar to this:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BKcvnxpxszUWUAU28

then click the "send" button in the top right (looks like: |> )

then, back at the main screen click "Poll Uplink"

Assuming things are set up correctly with BinkIT and SBBSEcho, your BBS should accept the connection, and process the areafix request.

SBBSecho will create the netmail response, and package it for your point. You should have your point set up as "h" or "hold"

Then, click "Poll uplink" again.

The above process should take mere seconds.

Aftershock will import the areafix response as netmail. click "Mail" and you should see:

NetMail
1/1

meaining you have 1 unread netmail message. your areafix response.

The other option is to edit your /sbbs/data/areas.bbs file directly and add your point address to any echos you want to read in Aftershock. Then when mail come into your BBS, SBBSEcho will package it for Aftershock to pick up next time you hit "Poll uplink".

You do not need to set echos up in Aftershock. Any mail that comes in, it will sort into echos and display them.

DaiTengu

....I reserve my abuse for lower life forms, like Civil Servants.

---
■ Synchronet ■ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com

Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android

<659D6003.23.dove-syncdisc@kf4yey.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1916&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1916

From: khronos@VERT/CWSHACK (Khronos)
To: DaiTengu
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 10:02:27 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Khronos - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 15:02 UTC

Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
By: DaiTengu to Khronos on Mon Jan 08 2024 18:42:18

> Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
> I'm assuming you're using Aftershock.

Hi,
Yes I am trying Aftershock for now.
I have also setup Newstap on my iphone over nntp to see if I can make this process work better for me.
I'm not sure an ftn connection for me is the best way to attack this problem.
What I'm looking for is a common way to access the message bases on my system in a way that I do not have to be woried about what type of network they are connected to from the client side.
For my mobile phones nttp may fit the bill for this as long as my bbs does the stripping of my e-mail address on outgoing posts.

In windows I am still up in the air about my method of access as I am not sure of what usenet reader I should use.
Another idea I had is I wonder if in windows I could turn each message base into its own mailing list where I'd have somebasename@kf4yey.com as the e-mail address and then I would run authenticated smtp and imap on non-standard ports to allow me to send mail through my board in the cloud while using Outlook on the windows side.
In Linux I would just use telnet over ssh or whatever to use the editor I have built in to Synchronet itself.

> Your settings should look something like this (these are my settings)
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/jq3cixkxxUFHxFWeA

I'm sorry I can not see the image in this link because I am blind, and you didn't have any way of knowing this ahead of time.
I believe I have things setup properly on the client side the issue I am having is I don't think I have things completely setup right on the bbs for operating a boss / point node configuration.
Another issue is that I would have to create a node for each ftn I want to communicate through and this would increase the complexity on me to do this as well as not being able to have access to Dovenet through my client because it is not an ftn.

Thanks,

---
■ Synchronet ■ Cw Shack Bbs telnet kf4yey.com:2330 (1:135/205)

Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android

<659D6FDB.9766.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1917&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1917

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Khronos
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 10:10:03 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: MRO - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 16:10 UTC

Re: Interfacing with message bases from Ios or Android
By: Khronos to DaiTengu on Tue Jan 09 2024 10:02 am

> problem. What I'm looking for is a common way to access the message bases on
> my system in a way that I do not have to be woried about what type of
> network they are connected to from the client side.

Maybe you should just use the synchronet web interface to access
the messages on your system.

Also you are blind, and that is another hurdle. I've messed around with hotdoged and aftershock. I would suggest doing the web interface route.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::