From: kaelon@VERT (Kaelon)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Subject: Re: Great Replacement Theory
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 10:29:12 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Debate
 by: Kaelon - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 17:29 UTC

Re: Re: Great Replacement Theory
By: poindexter FORTRAN to Kaelon on Fri Jun 10 2022 08:01 am

> But at what cost to Ukraine, and the world? Ukraine's harvested wheat is
> dissapearing into Russia, and future harvests are in jeopardy.
>
> Even if Russia loses, Ukraine loses too.
>
> I'd love to see reparations, but I'm not optimistic.

Certainly the West is getting nervous because it is increasingly looking like a total humiliation for Russia, and there isn't a path for Russia to have even a surface-level "victory" to bow out of this conflict. Ukraine is poised to retake Donbas and even eject Russia from Crimea. But before this happens, Russia will assuredly move towards a nuclear solution.

I suspect that this plays out with a settlement, both with Ukraine and internally in Russia. President Putin's gamble has been catastrophic, and it is clear (and confirmed) that he has terminal cancer, so I think it's likely (given the Russia M.O. in situations like this) that he will be "relocated to a hospital," and some lieutenant (probably Medvedev, at this stage, given the incompetence of Shiogu's management as Min. of Defense) will be tapped to end this war, reconcile with the West, and figure out how to salvage some semblance of Russia's reputation.

But it will be ugly.
_____
-=: Kaelon :=-

---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net