From: j0hnny.a1pha@VERT/R3TR0X (j0HNNY a1PHA)
To: paulie420
Subject: Re: SyncTERM website...
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 20:19:08 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: j0HNNY a1PHA - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 04:19 UTC

> ? I went away in 97 until 2017 - adulting, and all.
> But 90-97 was a fun time..

Similar time-frames, my friend! I consider my "active" years to be
1992-1996. Retruned around 2018. It's a different time now, but still a
blast.

I really dig the way you've been able to attract/educate a whole new crop
of folks to BBSing with your outreach, welcome and patient explanations.

My favorite thing is when people return to BBSing, while they often
express surprise it still exists, they are so glad it does.

I agree -- the syncterm site could use a little modernization, and
it's a geat program. I'll also point more tech-savvy folks to IcyTerm,
MagiTerm and Netrunner (I know you do, too)!

Cheers,

|08.|05j|13A|08.

---
■ Talisman ■ R3TR0/X - telnet: retrox.us:1992

Re: SyncTERM website...

<657C50D7.9619.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1732&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1732

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: j0HNNY a1PHA
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 07:12:55 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: MRO - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 13:12 UTC

Re: Re: SyncTERM website...
By: j0HNNY a1PHA to paulie420 on Thu Dec 14 2023 08:19 pm

> Similar time-frames, my friend! I consider my "active" years to be
> 1992-1996.

like around the mid 90s there was a lot of activity that a lot of people
call 'the third wave'

we also had a rush of activity in the early 2000's but it wasn't as big as
the third wave.

> I really dig the way you've been able to attract/educate a whole new crop
> of folks to BBSing with your outreach, welcome and patient explanations.

dude you really have no idea how much money i've spent out of pocket on promoting bbsing and just staying up until 3am when i wake up at 6am helping people. i did that for a very long time.

> My favorite thing is when people return to BBSing, while they often
> express surprise it still exists, they are so glad it does.

when they come back they check it out but those people go away and don't come back. i tried to bring back people from the huge bbses and they have moved on.
people prefer social media.

> I agree -- the syncterm site could use a little modernization, and
> it's a geat program. I'll also point more tech-savvy folks to IcyTerm,
> MagiTerm and Netrunner (I know you do, too)!

i either use mtelnet or syncterm. i've used netrunner and magiterm but they
have a few things that rub me the wrong way.

you should just tell them to use htmlterm because then they dont need to dick around with a client.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: SyncTERM website...

<657c5f5c.119.msgs_dve_synchronet_discussion@retrox.us>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1737&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1737

From: j0hnny.a1pha@VERT/R3TR0X (j0HNNY a1PHA)
To: MRO
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 06:14:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: j0HNNY a1PHA - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 14:14 UTC

> you should just tell them to use htmlterm because then they dont need
> to dick around with a client.

Yeah, HTML/wss definitely the path of least resistance for new folks.
Easiest way to get them in.

I guess BBSing will continue to be a niche thing, and there is definitely
less activity than when I returned a while back. It seems to spike every
now and then, but it's always pretty low. I'm grateful for the people who
*are* here, and stick around :)

|08.|05j|13A|08.

---
■ Talisman ■ R3TR0/X - telnet: retrox.us:1992

Re: SyncTERM website...

<657C71FA.9627.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1740&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1740

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: j0HNNY a1PHA
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 09:34:18 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: MRO - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 15:34 UTC

Re: Re: SyncTERM website...
By: j0HNNY a1PHA to MRO on Fri Dec 15 2023 06:14 am

> > you should just tell them to use htmlterm because then they dont need
> > to dick around with a client.
>
> Yeah, HTML/wss definitely the path of least resistance for new folks.
> Easiest way to get them in.
>
> I guess BBSing will continue to be a niche thing, and there is definitely
> less activity than when I returned a while back. It seems to spike every
> now and then, but it's always pretty low. I'm grateful for the people who
> *are* here, and stick around :)

i really thought stuff like flashterm and rick parrish's work would have blown the lid off of bbsing and make it popular but that time i was wrong.
maybe it was too late at that point.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: SyncTERM website...

<658055D6.67157.dove.sync@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1773&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1773

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: j0HNNY a1PHA
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 07:45:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 15:45 UTC

-=> j0HNNY a1PHA wrote to paulie420 <=-

ja> Similar time-frames, my friend! I consider my "active" years to be
ja> 1992-1996. Retruned around 2018. It's a different time now, but still a
ja> blast.

Those were good times for BBSing. I called BBSes starting in 1987,
started my own in 1991, and during that period remember the BBS being
busy almost full-time until I got a BlueWave offline message reader door
in 1993 or so. Windows 95 came out and we were all in denial, but could
see the number of callers drop.

I went mail-only in 2001 and at that point my BBS had something like
74,000 calls in 10 years.

.... Find a safe part and use it as an anchor
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.