From: arrl.de.wd1cks@VERT/WLARB (ARRL de WD1CKS)
To: QST
Subject: California Storms: Amateur Radio is Ready
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 18:19:49 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: ARRL de WD1CKS - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 18:19 UTC

02/09/2024

Southern California continues to feel the effects of a significant rain event
that began last week, bringing record rainfall, landslides, and
hurricane-strength winds. The heavy rain is the result of two atmospheric
rivers, referred to as "Pineapple Expresses" because of their origins near
Hawaii. Nearly half a year's worth of rain has fallen in two days. Since
Sunday, February 4, areas in Los Angeles County have seen nearly one foot of
rain, which has now moved east into western Arizona, southern Nevada, and
southwestern Utah, raising the risk of flash flooding in those areas.

ARRL Director of Emergency Management Josh Johnston, KE5MHV, has been in
contact with Amateur Radio Emergency Service¿ (ARES¿) leadership from
throughout the affected area. "ARES member-volunteers are ready to be pressed
into service when called upon by one of their local served agencies," he said.

The situation continues to evolve, Johnston has received several situation
updates from ARES leaders.

ARRL San Joaquin Valley (SJV) Section Emergency Coordinator Dan Sohn, WL7COO,
wrote:

The SJV Section is experiencing electrical power outages caused by high winds
affecting tens of thousands of homes and businesses mostly in the westernmost,
lower-elevation Central Valley counties and elevations at or above about 3,500
feet above sea level... The incoming atmospheric river appears to be moving
more to the north than the last two storms, so we'll see what that brings the
SJV counties that are already saturated... and [we] hope that it lessens the
life-threatening, ongoing damage throughout southern California.

Johnston also received this update from ARRL Nevada Section Emergency
Coordinator John Abrott, KD7NHC:

Here in northern Nevada, a varying amount of snow was received. I received
reports from Carson City of 10 - 11, inches, and reports of 10 - 13 inches in
Carson Valley and parts of Reno. There are several feet of snow at higher
elevations. I have not received any reports of ARES members being activated.
Several counties were requested to be ready in the event that their services
were needed. Major roads are clear, but residential streets still have snow.

ARES teams are ready when needed and will continue monitor the situations in
California and affected neighboring states. Check ARRL News[1] for the latest
updates.

[1] http://arrl.org/news

---
■ Synchronet ■ Whiskey Lover's Amateur Radio BBS